Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Optic For Open?

Sumtoc

Searched but couldn't find many references to dot sights preferred for Open SG. If you are in 3G Open div due to Open pistol what's the thinking?

What are the real advantages and what are most folks using?

When I shot open I used a 1st Gen Holosight. It has a BIG lens and the ring and dot reticle was great for shotgunning, if the ring was touching a clay or steel anywhere you got it and just use the center dot for slugs. The latest Holosights guys use on AR's have a smaller lens as does the newer shotgun version that came out a couple years ago.

I have run a JPoint on my Benelli in open for quite a while with very good reliability and function. I also ran a JPoint on my open rifle. These sights are light and seem to run with very few problems. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to recommend them.

I am currently running a Burris on my Saiga and we will see how that goes. Only have about 300 rounds to date. So far it is proving to be fine although a little tedious to adjust.

I won a Trijicon RMR at 3 Gun Nats Last year and although I haven't been a fan of Trijicon's past products if I were picking my favorite this would be it so far. Built like the proverbial brick outhouse, no batteries and an effective dot in all the lighting conditions I have tried so far. It's one down size is it has a proprietary footprint so trijicon is the only place to get mounts for it.

Burris speed bead and mount! This is your one stop shop for an open dot. Go look it up on their web sight. Has a mount for any shotgun mounted farther back than most and FAST, FAST, FAST...This is the same type setup Jerry uses!

+1 to Kurts suggestion of getting any RDS you decide to use as close to your eye as possible.

Also the only real advantage in my opinion is the dot for accurate slug shooting. For all other shotgun purposes I find that I am faster just shooting the rib.

Edited by smokshwn

My JP, open shotgun has a JP dot on it.

I really like it for slugs, but, I'm thinking of either trying a Burris, or, going to open sights. I'm just as fast with iron sights, as a dot, for most, static targets, and I HATE shooting flying targets with the JP sight.

Well, none. My open Saiga has (gasp!) a fiber optic AR style front and v-notch adjustable rear blade. But it is soon to be wearing a rib. Personally not a fan of dots on shotguns, but thats just me. YMMV.

(edited just for kurt. :bow: )

Edited by ken hebert

Ken, by spelling it "shotty" you only save one letter from spelling it "shotgun", and if you spell it "shotty" you sound just a bit Ga....ah less manly! KurtM

Edited by kurtm

Ken, by spelling it "shotty" you only save one letter from spelling it "shotgun", and if you spell it "shotty" you sound just a bit Ga....ah less manly! KurtM

Kurt,

If you didn't notice Ken spends an inordinate amount of time making sure his hair is perfect....a bit Ga... is kinda like a bit pregnant isn't it :ph34r:

Kurt,

If you didn't notice Ken spends an inordinate amount of time making sure his hair is perfect....a bit Ga... is kinda like a bit pregnant isn't it :ph34r:

But N is SOOOO FAR from N on the keyboard! :lol:

Edited by DyNo!

Burris speed bead and mount! This is your one stop shop for an open dot. Go look it up on their web sight. Has a mount for any shotgun mounted farther back than most and FAST, FAST, FAST...This is the same type setup Jerry uses!

Checked these out and they look interesting, small, low and set close to the eyes. I have a FN SLP Mark 1 that I really like, tossed an EoTech on it for our last 3 gun match. Worked Ok, but kinda high and heavy.

The Speed Bead is available in a lot of different versions for different SGs but don't see one for the FN. But they do have one for "Winchester XS3/ Browning Gold 12 Ga".

Anyone know if that will fit the FN?

Also wonder if the Weaver rail on the FN barrel will interfere with this sight.....

+1 on the speed bead.

I run it on my M2 without any problems.

I get funny looks when I use my Open shotgun on the sporting clays field though. I'm not if it's b/c of the sight...or that on some stages I load all 11 +1 and unload on some birds.