Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Double Stack Do You Prefer For Idpa?ipsc

635 PCSO

I am the same guy that asked about the Trojan. THank you for all of the information. Information is what I need right now. I am not a great shooter I have never shot a IDPA/Ipsc course, I want to and I want to be competitive. I have a Dillion 550b on standby. I have been told a double stack is the way to go. I also would like to shoot action pistol. I need a jack of all trades that will allow me to grow as a shooter. I would like reliability, accuracy and flexibility. Thats all:)... I can spend about 1600 bucks. What do you suggest? Oh I would also like to carry this on duty. However I am prepared to just have a game gun. I am currently looking at an Eagle with bushing 1600$, a Dawson Jarret Para 1099$ and a Dawson Tactical 1876$. What others are there, and what would you suggest out of the selection? I have a fear of spending 1600 bucks on a pistol and it not be reliable. I am currently leaning towards the Eagle but I like the Dawson Jarret price. Help me out here please. Oh I dont want a Glock, I have carried one on Duty for three years, its great, I just want a different platform to play on. Unless of course I can get a Glock with the trigger and accuracy of a 1600 dollar 1911.

I'd go with an Eagle and never look back. Keep your eyes open on the classified section here and on the USPSA classifieds and you should be able to get one at a really good price. The thing about buying used STI's is that alot of them have usually have the aftermarket stuff we normally buy ie....Bigger magwell, trigger job etc...

That doesn't mean that there aren't those "homesmiths" out there who screw up a gun and try to pawn it off on someone else, just buyer beware.

Dawson advertises a "Super-Tune" on all the factory pistols they sell, but from my personal experience, it's an advertising gimick, I paid I think $100 for a tune-up on a pistol I bought and it came to me completely unreliable (ambi stuck and it failed to extract.)

Give Bob Londgrin a call at www.brazoscustom.com and he'll set you up with an Eagle or Edge. He's one of the best in the biz and he'll treat you right. Welcome to our addiction.

635 PCSO

I recently went through this myself. I ended up with an SV. I found a used one (short dust cover) for under $1200 and had the barrel turned down and a bushing fitted. The nice part about a short dustcover SV (or STI) is that with a bushing you can shoot IDPA or USPSA, which is what I'm doing.

A friend and gunsmith I very much respect, told me that the SV frames and slides are much better machined compared to the STI guns. That said, either will work for you and STI is cheaper to start off with. I don't think you are going to find a custom smith to build you a gun for $1600. When I was looking the average price was about $1800 on your frame. Both SV and STI will are available with bushing barrels. I believe Dawson advertises a bushing gun, but I don't know if it is an item he stocks. SV will build you one, but it will be about a 5mos wait.

Another option is to find a used long dust cover gun (if you can't find a short) at a good price and have a smith cut the dustcover off and turn down the bull barrel and have a bushing fitted.

I carry a Glock for work as well. They are good guns, but they are no SV or STI IMHO.

Be safe,

Nick-

You mentioned that you really don't want to go down the Glock path, unless you could get a good trigger & good accuracy.

Hang around the forum here a bit and I think you'll find there are a few folks shooting the Glock in IPSC/USPSA that do very well.

I've been shooting IPSC/USPSA for about 18 months and have been able to compete and have loads of fun with a G34 (Production div) & G35 (Limited/L10 div).

There were two things that made the Glock much more shootable (and fun) for me:

1. Charlie Vanek trigger job Another 1 1/4# trigger, and

2. Custom Glock Racing race-cut Heine slant-pro sights (although the Dawson adjustable sights for the Glock look appealing, they just weren't available when I put the Heine's on).

If you find that you can stick with the Glock, you may save yourself quite a bit of money.

I actually shot a 35 that had a good trigger on it. I am sure the Glock can shoot more accurate than I can. I am not a great shot by any standard. Having said that I carry a Glock day in day out. I have it with me all the time. It is a good duty gun, I would just like another platform to shoot. I shoot a Glock a lot, I shoot a 686 a lot, a 1911 would be nice just for a change.

I have owned all those guns you named. The STI out of the box is my choice. On a budget a Glock 35 is hard to beat. I shot my Glock for 3 years before going to STI. Good sights and a trigger job are great on a Glock, but it's no STI. I think it's alot easier to learn to shoot the STI well. I was able to compete very well with a glock. I got a good deal on an STI for $800 and could not pass it up. The Para will give it up long before any of the others. I got about 10,000 rds. out of mine.

Mike

You know what, after 10,000rds downrange, a couple scratches and a few aftermarket parts, it really doesn't matter which of those guns you buy. Any of them will do what you want it to. I swore off my Para .45 (the piece of shit) until I started shooting IDPA. I shot that sucker and won CDP division at the '03 WA. state IDPA Championships. That ugly thing cost me $800....

BUt, if you do have the $$ to spend.....you might as well go for the better quality gun (STI). ;)