Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

22lr open

gunut

I put quite a few rounds downrange with mine. I really like the fact that you can use a holster with it. I have had some issues with mine and just about to send it back to Marvel for them to work on it. The unit saved me a ton of money on ammo and more than paid for itself.

For me I have realized that I can practice(and I do this) with only the Marvel 22. I don't even shoot my Open gun except to chrono or sight it in.

Here is a link to a video where I put my 22Marvel and Open gun on the timer to see the results. I have got the same results everytime. I'm always faster with my open gun than my 22. I can shoot a drill with the 22 and then shoot it with my open gun with no practice in between or Open gun and then 22 and there is no adjustment needed. I can practice for a week straight with my 22 and go to a match and have no problem shooting my open gun.

Here

Flyin

I put quite a few rounds downrange with mine. I really like the fact that you can use a holster with it. I have had some issues with mine and just about to send it back to Marvel for them to work on it. The unit saved me a ton of money on ammo and more than paid for itself.

For me I have realized that I can practice(and I do this) with only the Marvel 22. I don't even shoot my Open gun except to chrono or sight it in.

Here is a link to a video where I put my 22Marvel and Open gun on the timer to see the results. I have got the same results everytime. I'm always faster with my open gun than my 22. I can shoot a drill with the 22 and then shoot it with my open gun with no practice in between or Open gun and then 22 and there is no adjustment needed. I can practice for a week straight with my 22 and go to a match and have no problem shooting my open gun.

Here

Flyin

Great vid. Thats a loud .22

I have two Marvel units. One is on a dedicated Caspian SS frame and the other is on an SV Hicap frame. As long as I use good ammo there is no problem with them. I use CCI Std Velocity 40 gr round nose, Aquilla 40 gr round nose, Wolf Match 40 gr round nose and Eley Pistol Match. They do not feed hollow points or bulk packed Federal or Remington. As long as I use quality ammo I have no problems.

Edited by Jaxshooter

Thinking about setting up a marvel 22 with a dot on a sti widebody .

For you guys that have one , how do you like it ?

Any problems ? Do you like it for open trigger time ?

I had a dedicated STI widebody lower set up with all the bells & whistles including C-more (in case down the road i wanted to put a different upper say a 9mm major) a marvel upper it was finished in January it took a little work to get bugs some bugs out but, that was because of the way I had it done to replicate my 9mm open gun. Last week shot about 600 rounds and didn't pick up one empty it's great, and I can practice at the indoor range that only allows 22LR cheers.gif

Here

Flyin

How did you get the comp for the .22 conversation?

Flyin,

What ammo are you using? What velocity? I am trying Remington Yellow Jackets. They are 1500 fps. My .22 open is Glock based and I am working thru some issues with the C-more mount and ejection problems. A fellow shooter was shooting a Kimber (I think) conversion on a 1911 and the fireballs from his .22 ammo (Federal Game Shock)were pretty big. I'm thinking velocity may cure some of my issues.

Here

Flyin

How did you get the comp for the .22 conversation?

The comp is about 3/4 down the page. I bought the steel comp because its just over 6oz. The aluminum one is 1.3oz. I wanted the heavier comp to get the weight of the conversion closer to the feel of my open gun.

Here is a page of accessories

Here

Flyin

Read the other posts on 22LR top ends and assume you can switch these with your regular top end (38 super in my case) and us the same frame. But not certain that I could use my frame mounted Cmore on a Quinn2 mount? Don't know if it will clear, as the scope is very close to the slide on my setup. Any thoughts?

I know I will need to re-zero each time I switch, but other than that is there any reason not to use both top ends on the same frame?

You can do that but its a big pain to rezero unless you don't shoot matches that much. If you have a limited gun just use that frame. Not sure whether it will clear or not with the Quinn mount.

Flyin

you can check marvels site . I think you might have too get the optic rail milled lower to clear the mnt

You just leave the optic mount off completely. Its not needed if your going to use your mount that is already on your frame. Several guys here on the forums done it that way including me. I ended up getting another frame. It might not look the best with just the barrel showing but it works and actually helps with ejection because you have more clearance than with the Marvel optic mount.

Flyin

If I was to put together a lower (STI widebody) would it need an "ejector", I don't know how these topends work and was just wondering, so as to save myself that expense. I plane to buy a new lower and all the parts and the Marvel top end. Anyone know?

If I was to put together a lower (STI widebody) would it need an "ejector", I don't know how these topends work and was just wondering, so as to save myself that expense. I plane to buy a new lower and all the parts and the Marvel top end. Anyone know?

I know with the Marvel it has its own ejector attached to the barrel. I'm not sure about other conversions.

Flyin

If you do not use the frame for another top end, No you do not need an ejector for a Marvel conversion.

Even though I don't use another top end on my STI , I removed the ejector because it was hitting the top of the marvel magz.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally got all the parts and recently put my new STI lower/Marvel .22 upper together. I bought new everything. I did buy 3 Tac-Sol widebody mags from Midway. The Tactical Solution Mags are a work of art. I paid $69 apiece for the mags. The unit runs flawlessly so far with Federal bulk pack from Wally World. I am still waiting on my C-More railway, I can't wait. I don't know if I will save any money on ammo as this thing is so fun to shoot, I'll be spending that savings on more .22's. :cheers:

So far, the Marvel mag is running just fine. Although it is a lot less refined in appearance, no hiccups yet.