Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magwell for IDPA

MemphisMechanic

Does anyone make a magwell that will fit in the IDPA box? Or at least without being ground down until un-useable? I'm not afraid of a good bit of grinding, but if I have to remove half the funnel from a massive Limited magwell, there might be a better option out there.

I have no desire to run a mag extension on the gun, and don't think I'd have the space to do so and still fit in the box.

Ideas?

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Does anyone make a magwell that will fit in the IDPA box? Or at least without being ground down until un-useable? I'm not afraid of a good bit of grinding, but if I have to remove half the funnel from a massive Limited magwell, there might be a better option out there.

I have no desire to run a mag extension on the gun, and don't think I'd have the space to do so and still fit in the box.

Ideas?

To answer your question directly, no. But....

My best advice is to use a good reload technique and not spend money on a magwell. I bought one early on, only to find that they are absolutely not necessary for anything but single stacks, IMHO. So, use your index finger to run along the front of the mag, drop your gun back to your core, and you'll find you're busting super quick mag changes b4 you know it.

Edited by gunnbugg

Ideas?

yep, we just released our ESP magwell, for IDPA it's available in Black anodized Aluminum and for the USPSA guys that want the smaller magwell we have it in Brass if they want to add a little weight. We are in the process of making a thicker Aluminum base pad that fits the box also but it'll be a couple weeks before they're ready, you could glue some rubber or plastic to the base pad to use for IDPA.

My best advice is to use a good reload technique and not spend money on a magwell.

I don't need a magwell. But I WANT a magwell. It's time for a new toy. Leave logic out of this. :D

yep, we just released our ESP magwell, for IDPA it's available in Black anodized Aluminum and for the USPSA guys that want the smaller magwell we have it in Brass if they want to add a little weight. We are in the process of making a thicker Aluminum base pad that fits the box also but it'll be a couple weeks before they're ready, you could glue some rubber or plastic to the base pad to use for IDPA.

Thanks! Off to find it...

EDIT: Just ordered one. Gimme! :goof:

My best advice is to use a good reload technique and not spend money on a magwell.

I don't need a magwell. But I WANT a magwell. It's time for a new toy. Leave logic out of this. :D

Thanks! Off to find it...

EDIT: Just ordered one. Gimme! :goof:

I just ordered one too...I am in line right behind Memphis. ;)

Be sure to let us know what you think....

I think either I'm doing something stupid, or there may be a design flaw.

I can't seat a magazine with a compact (or fullsize) factory basepad on it. The basepad is running into the ramped "funnel" portion of the magwell 1/4" or so before it's fully seated. :(

This stinks, because I really want to post a raving review of the beautifully crafted work of art. It fits over the outward-curving lip on the front of the mag opening, then rocks back and seats with a firm tap onto a modified grip tool. You then drive a pin through the tool and the magwell to lock it onto the gun. Simple, solid, looks great, and has a flawless transition between the magwell and the frame - there's nowhere to snag a magazine.

So let's all just hope I'm doing something stupid. :cheers:

...Which won't fit in the IDPA box.

This is the "ESP" magwell, not the Limited magwell, which is much larger and flat-out says in the description that it REQUIRES mag extensions. I would assume, with all the talk about us trying to figure out what kind of bumper-pad to add to the factory mags for use with a magwell, that Ken would have chimed in and told us that won't happen.

The way I'm reading this, the factory pads should have just needed extended, according to the description. No one makes a "thicker" base pad. Even the finger-groove S&W one for the Compacts won't work. All the plastic ones are too thick where they wrap around the lip on the bottom of the magazine. I guess maybe an aluminum one would work, because the stronger material wouldn't have to be as thick where the groove for the magazine body lies?

SSS ESP Magwell

SSSMagwells.jpg

The Taylor extension? Sexy, sure. But there is absolutely no way this puppy is going anywhere NEAR an IDPA box. It *might* barely fit... if it stopped right about where the allen screws are. AFAIK no one makes an extension that is useable in IDPA. Somehow, a factory basepad has got to fit.

TFBasePad.jpg

[EDIT:] .... Unless the magwell was designed around an SSS metal basepad?

[DOUBLE EDIT:] Nevermind. It's "identical dimensions" to the factory pad. So I don't think it would help...

SpeedShooter basepads

I received my ESP magwell today, and after 30 seconds of messing with it... Factory Base pads will not fit. I am going to grind one of the old factory pads down and see how critical the dimensions become. I will keep you posted.

After a bit of creative filing a stock compact basepad will fit. I trimmed the sides to an angle, filing away a bit at a time. with the sloped sides it fits like a charm in the magwell.

Note: You will need 1/4" of slam pad or other material to make the base plate thicker.

I was tempted to try this, but wanted to talk to Ken first. He's supposed to call me sometime this morning.

You have to remove much material around the lip that retains the basepad on the magazine? I would really prefer not to have them jumping off in the middle of a match, and I drop mine on concrete floors A LOT.

I'm not worried about fitting an extension to the pad. A certain someone on this forum was nice enough the ship me some materail for that project free of charge. ;)

I was tempted to try this, but wanted to talk to Ken first. He's supposed to call me sometime this morning.

You have to remove much material around the lip that retains the basepad on the magazine? I would really prefer not to have them jumping off in the middle of a match, and I drop mine on concrete floors A LOT.

I'm not worried about fitting an extension to the pad. A certain someone on this forum was nice enough the ship me some materail for that project free of charge. ;)

I have a friend that makes a IDPA legal magwells for glocks. Passed muster at the 2009 Nationals. PM me for the info.

Memphis, do what I said in the other thread on how to make your own "slamp pads". This is the reason I made some so you could seat a mag with a magwell on the gun.

Won't help. Just got off the phone with Ken from SSS.

His opening line:

"There is a MASSIVE amount of ignorance going on here, and it's all on my part."

The Limited magwell is profiled to require a Taylor Freelance extension. They are the thinner and more angled where they connect to the magazine than anything else, allowing for the magwell to smoothly taper into the grip without any lip to snag a magzine. He took the Limited magwell, shortened it to fit the IDPA box... and it simply didn't occur to him that we can't use TF extensions in IDPA. Oops.

He's sending me three rough prototype extended aluminum basepads that they've been working on to test, with the warning that I'll have to grind 'em a little bit to fit the magwell. But he originally tried making one out of Delrin, and I cut down a factory plastic pad this morning. We both agree that plastic is not going to work. There's just not enough material left - the magwewll is too close to the metal magazine body. In short order, you're going to rip the basepad off the magazine when seating it during a reload.

So Ken should have an anodized aluminum mag extension ready for sale pretty soon, he just wants me to beta-test these before finalizing everything.

The way the M&P is shaped, and the basepads are shaped... By the time you clearanced a magwell enough to fit a factory baspad, there would be no point in running one. Half of the polymer frame would need to be exposed in order to get it to work: It would still be able to snag a magazine on both sides and the front.

The way the M&P is shaped, and the basepads are shaped... By the time you clearanced a magwell enough to fit a factory basepad, there would be no point in running one. Half of the polymer frame would need to be exposed in order to get it to work...

I have seen some Glock magwells that are built this way. It is a real PITA to get the mag in place when it bangs off the bottom of the polymer magwell.

This brings up a question that has been on my mind. How do mag extensions and basepads fit into IDPA rules? I know this is a rules question but where would these basepads fit into the "no weighted magazine" rule. I am curious because I thinking about building up a true ESP gun and my Pro might be the candidate.

I had forgotten that you wanted this for IDPA. Great that Kenny is going to make some basepads to fit. I like Dan's idea of combining three stock pads and taking a trip to the belt sander, as I've got lot's of stock FS pads just sitting in a bag. But to be honest, if SSS makes some to fit that will be the way to go for me as they'll just look so much better that anything I could cobble together.

This brings up a question that has been on my mind. How do mag extensions and basepads fit into IDPA rules? I know this is a rules question but where would these basepads fit into the "no weighted magazine" rule. I am curious because I thinking about building up a true ESP gun and my Pro might be the candidate.

If it fits the box and isn't made of heavy material like brass pretty much any basepad is legal.

This brings up a question that has been on my mind. How do mag extensions and basepads fit into IDPA rules?

The gun can only weigh a certain amount. It has to do it with the mag inserted. When I've run tech inspection, I make sure I'm the one who feeds the empty into the gun. You're going to notice a brass or thick steel pad at that time.

Make it out of aluminum or polymer, and as long as it fits the box, you'll be fine. A polymer gun is so far under weights there's really no point in putting it on a scale.

I like Dan's idea of combining three stock pads and taking a trip to the belt sander, as I've got lot's of stock FS pads just sitting in a bag. But to be honest, if SSS makes some to fit that will be the way to go for me as they'll just look so much better that anything I could cobble together.

I like the idea too, dammi. Like I already said. :P

But sanded-down factory pads will not hold up with this magwell. Keiser and I have both ground one down to fit. He sent me a pic of his, which looks just like mine.

The ESP magwell has a perfectly smooth bevel to guide mags in like magic. It also requires about 80% of the material on a plastic pad to be removed, right where it clips onto the lip on the mag body. Go ahead and run one, but when it pops at your first sanctioned match, remember that I told you so. :D

This brings up a question that has been on my mind. How do mag extensions and basepads fit into IDPA rules?

The gun can only weigh a certain amount. It has to do it with the mag inserted. When I've run tech inspection, I make sure I'm the one who feeds the empty into the gun. You're going to notice a brass or thick steel pad at that time.

Make it out of aluminum or polymer, and as long as it fits the box, you'll be fine. A polymer gun is so far under weights there's really no point in putting it on a scale.

Yeah I know the entire gun has to be 43oz or less and fit in the box. I was just curious how this rule applied to base pads

B. Add-on weights for a competitive advantage (this includes,

but is not limited to, weighted magazines, tungsten guide rods,

brass magazine wells, weighted grips).

Memphis, do what I said in the other thread on how to make your own "slamp pads". This is the reason I made some so you could seat a mag with a magwell on the gun.

Won't help.

Humph, I guess I shouldn't let the ones we're using see this thread :roflol:

I know David Olhasso is also running a similar set-up only he made his extensions out of delrin.

I am not saying this is as good as what Kenny will make as it won't be but it is usable.