Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

View New Content / Goes To Last Post

Rolex

All of sudden today-when I hit the view new contect section,

all I get is the new content! What happened to all the other

content that was there last night! Like 3 or 4 pages of things

being talked about!

There is a setting for that....

If you click on your name in the upper right corner and select "My Settings"...

Under General Settings, near the bottom, is a combo box for "Search Settings" labelled "View New Content Method".

It sounds like you have "Show me all new content since my last visit" instead of "Show me all content that I have not read".

The nice thing about using the "Show me all content that I have not read" is that it lets you decide when to click on the link for "Mark all items as read".

Edited by High Lord Gomer

• 4 weeks later...

When you'e viewing a forum and click on a thread title, it takes you to the first post. When you click on "go to last post", it takes you to the last post.

When you're viewing new content after clicking "view new content" and click on the thread title, it takes you to the last post instead of to the first post. When you click on "go to last post", it takes you to the last post.

I'm certain that the old format took you to the last post you had read when you clicked on "go to last post". It would be nice it the new format did the same. At any rate, clicking on the title should always take you to the first post. It does not under "view new content".

Thanks.

The little button does say "Go to first unread post", but never does that with the new software.

I did prefer it the old way

The old software would do it for awhile of the time, then it would quit too. It was never consistent over the long term. I always figured it was something in the settings that was being over layed when forum upgrades were done, and was missed on the 'reset'. I think the time leading up to the swap, it was really working as 'go to first unread'..

• 2 months later...

When you'e viewing a forum and click on a thread title, it takes you to the first post. When you click on "go to last post", it takes you to the last post.

When you're viewing new content after clicking "view new content" and click on the thread title, it takes you to the last post instead of to the first post. When you click on "go to last post", it takes you to the last post.

I'm certain that the old format took you to the last post you had read when you clicked on "go to last post". It would be nice it the new format did the same. At any rate, clicking on the title should always take you to the first post. It does not under "view new content".

Thanks.

Has this been looked into? This setting is still annoying (to me anyway), I'd like to have the option of going to the first or last post while viewing new content.

Danno

Thanks.

Has this been looked into? This setting is still annoying (to me anyway), I'd like to have the option of going to the first or last post while viewing new content.

Danno

Is High Lord's post helpful?

be

Hey Gomer,

Since you seem to have a pretty good handle on this stuff. Any idea why when I go to new content there always seem to be a few threads that will only go to the first post instead of where I last viewed?

Is High Lord's post helpful?

be

Brian,

I have my setting as "Show me all content that I have not read", which I've done for a while and I seem to get the correct results. The issue seems to be that the link used for the thread title is a 'new post' search on the specific thread. This task should already be taken care of by the 'Goto first unread post' icon to the left of the title.

It would be preferred that clicking on the thread title always goes to the beginning of the thread, not the first unread.

Danno

Hey Gomer,

Since you seem to have a pretty good handle on this stuff. Any idea why when I go to new content there always seem to be a few threads that will only go to the first post instead of where I last viewed?

I'm not sure, but since I believe that is handled by cookies that get saved on your local computer, it might happen if certain types of editting are done to the topic like having a post within the topic deleted. Just a WAG, though, since I couldn't find a way to reproduce that.

Brian,

I have my setting as "Show me all content that I have not read", which I've done for a while and I seem to get the correct results. The issue seems to be that the link used for the thread title is a 'new post' search on the specific thread. This task should already be taken care of by the 'Goto first unread post' icon to the left of the title.

It would be preferred that clicking on the thread title always goes to the beginning of the thread, not the first unread.

Danno

I don't get the "Goto first unread post" icon when viewing new content, only when browsing the board content in total.

Personally, I like the default behavior of going to the first unread post since it is very easy to jump to the top but not so easy to figure out what I have and have not already read.

Let me try to show with a couple pics. The first shows a BB with a clear link to the new unread post (#xx), clicking on the thread title takes you to the first post (#1).

post-19823-127464524103_thumb.jpg

The second is Enos. The icon on the left should take you to the first new unread post (and it does), but the thread title also takes you there (not to post #1).

post-19823-127464526512_thumb.jpg

I don't have any issues with finding my unread posts or anything, it's just that sometimes I want to start at the beginning not the end.

HLG: That's in your Profile Settings, at the bottom there is an option 'Forum Results Display'. I think you have it set to Show results as a list. I have Show results like a forum

Edited by BritinUSA