Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para frames

usmc1974

I am shooting a Para Ordnance hi cap frame so, I was wondering. how good are they? do they last/ hold-up? Have you guys heard of them failing or cracking how many rounds are they good for. Should I get a back up frame set up for it. Or??

• 2 months later...

I have two Para-framed guns. One steel and one stainless. Both had the rail crack above the slide stop cutout. No big deal, just cut the rail away there. The stainless frame developed a crack on the right side inline with the end of the guide rod. I stop-drilled it and used it for a while and finally got it welded up. The stainless frame had about 40K rounds. Still using them...

Later,

Chuck

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

This one was 11 or 12 years old when I bought it. It had been built as a .38 Super Open gun from the ground up, and was designed for the old 175 PF. I ran it for a few years, until at an Area match, the dot was hitting high and right, and I was out of adjustment. When I took it home, I found cracking at the rear of the dust cover - worse on the side with the screw holes, but there was one started on the other side. I sent it to Virgil Tripp to have it un-chromed and welded back up. After it was stripped, Virgil also found cracking on either side of the grip, following the cut for the trigger bow. At this point, I decided it was time to punt and ordered an STI frame.

DSC03242.jpg

100_0281.jpg

• 1 year later...

I'll tag a question on this thread.

Is it only the stainless steel frames that crack, or do the blue frames also crack?

I have a P16-40 Ltd bought new in 2000 so Canadian made, and have been toying with the idea och putting a 90 degree C-more on it to be able to shoot one more class. Eventually complimented with a comp conversion kit, but if cracks are "inevitable" I might just wait and get a dedicated open gun. Keep shooting the P16-40 with iron-sights and not joining the .40S&W-open club ;)

Is it only the stainless steel frames that crack, or do the blue frames also crack?

The frame in the picture above is actually made of carbon steel. It has just had the finish removed, and you are looking at the bare steel.

Les Baer used to use their frames for some double stack models he made many years ago. So apparently he thought they were ok. If Les Baer used them that says a lot about the frame.

I have two old Limited P16's, one built up from a frame kit, the other from stock. After roughly 50K rounds each, they developed cracks exactly where Chuck S had his. Still usable, but I've been shooting Production these past few years, so they're retired.

Shot Para's for years before going to plastic framed guns one of the most accurate pistols I ever owned was a old square framed Para with a Clark barrel in 45 acp. Lot's of wear but the frames never cracked on any of three I owned. All mine were carbon steel guns. Helped a friend with a new stainless Para in 9mm, gun shoots great but had to sleeve and replace extractor, we used an Aftec. New claw extractor may work great in 40S@W or 45acp but didn't in two of the newer pisols my friends have in 9mm.

I have a Limited gun built on an early frame kit (like before they were building complete guns!). I don't keep track of how many rounds I fire and can't even guess. I will say that I shot it exclusively 4-5 practice nights (several stages a night)a month from time change to time change (DST) for at least 10 years. I also shot it at least 2 matches a month during that time plus one match a month for 10+ more years! No cracks and it is still going strong when I want to shoot it!

FWIW

Richard

• 4 months later...

This one was 11 or 12 years old when I bought it. It had been built as a .38 Super Open gun from the ground up, and was designed for the old 175 PF. I ran it for a few years, until at an Area match, the dot was hitting high and right, and I was out of adjustment. When I took it home, I found cracking at the rear of the dust cover - worse on the side with the screw holes, but there was one started on the other side. I sent it to Virgil Tripp to have it un-chromed and welded back up. After it was stripped, Virgil also found cracking on either side of the grip, following the cut for the trigger bow. At this point, I decided it was time to punt and ordered an STI frame.

DSC03242.jpg

100_0281.jpg

sell it