Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Using Air Soft Gun as a drama prop

I'm involved in a drama this weekend that protrays teenage suicide. The drama coordinator(who is NOT me) at first used a REAL GUN unloaded to do this scene. OK for me that is totally WRONG and offensive to all gun handling rules. So I'm looking for a solution to keep the scene "real" but not offend the general gun handling public.

So I took our air soft pistol, took the magazine out, and taped the oragne barrel tip with black masking tape. It looks real and is safe. The concern is...is this still a breech of gun handling protocol. Do I let the oragne show or not?

We have a house divided on this issue. Curious about others opinions and perceptions..

movies use real guns ALL the time and point them directly at people and shoot blanks. I personally dont see a problem with taping the tip of an airsoft gun up to cover the orange. Are they doing a sound effect for a gunshot or is teh actor just putting a gun to their head in an attempt but not actually shooting?

as for a breech in protocol...I dont think so. In a "regular" setting I NEVER point a gun at anyone, real or airsoft, loaded or not...it just creeps me out. BUT at the same time, I have played airsoft a couple of times and played competieive paintball for a number of years...both sports involve the direct aiming at and shooting of other people. I think its all the the setting and context of which its being used. For your purpose of a play, I would feel ok with an empty airsoft gun with the black tape.

I just wouldnt want a real gun for fear of it being dropped and scratched or something dumb happening to it...like someone trying to steal it, etc.

I think Brandon Lee could make a comment, if he hadn't been killed by a "safe" prop gun. It was being monitered and controled by a professional.

An airsoft won't kill you and I think you need to portray realism so I could see using it but the real gun thing was irresponsible and very scary. Almost everybody killed in "home accidents" were shot with "unloaded" guns.

Use the Airsoft gun, or use a true prop gun. In the movies when they use real guns as props, they are supposed to hold the guns off-axis of the intended target. In Brandon Lee's case, the other actor did not- and that was combined with several other critical mistakes to cause his death. In a live show, the off axis trick doesn't work since the audience has parallax and can see that it is off axis. Using a non-lethal prop is by far the better way to go.

Perhaps a dedicated blank firing gun? I was at a play back around Christmas, and I'm almost certain some of them were real. I have to admit I wasn't very comfortable w. that, but at least there weren't any scenes which involved pulling a trigger.

Why not something NON-FIRING, like a training gun? The drama should be in the message and not the realistic look of the prop.

JMHO

I think that you've offered the best idea. If it doesn't have to be a particular type of gun, Glock "blue" guns are fairly cheap, and could probably be easily painted.

IMHO, this would be your best choice: Glock training non-gun. It is made by Blackhawk. It is gray already, therefore no painting, and it is much more affordable than an actual "ASP" or "Blue Gun". They are also available in orange. I point these at students in training classes all the time. That's what they are made for.

Why not remove the barrel, trigger and firing pin? It will look real from the audience. Have yourself designated as the only person who gets to handle the gun until the performance starts. I don't like the idea of using a real gun but if you end up doing it, make it as safe as possible, i.e. not able to fire or even chamber a round.

Get a rubber gun. That is what a lot of films/tv use, when it isn't necessary for blanks to be fired.

Using a real gun could violate local laws. Whenever a reputable film/tv production uses a blank-firing gun, there is always a firearm wrangler present, who is responsible for the guns, and there safe use. An example of such a wrangler company is http://www.moviegunservices.com