Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Leupold CQ/T

Airedale

I have the opportunity to by a virtually new CQ/T for 3 gun.

I currently use a Trijicon Reflex II. It is great but I could use some magnification.

I have the CQ/T for testing. I suspect I can get into it for half retail.

Search didn't reveal anything. Anyone used this? Pros/cons?

Dave

On the plus side, the black circles show up way better on the brown cardboard targets. The magnification is obviously lower than some other scopes, so it won't quite have the range others do, but for matches out to 200yds they do great. I have one and like it a lot. I took it off when we started shooting matches with longer rifle shots. If you stay within their range I think they are great. I agree that you can't range with them, but if you are using a three gun scope to range stuff with, you are loosing too much time anyway. Zero it at 200, know your CQB holdovers, and the rest just let 'em fly.

The CQ/T is a very good scope with a good Field of View, but it's practical max. effective range is about 350 yards if you use a 200yd. zero. Once you start getting out to 350 and beyond you have to hold the center dot over the target out in space and it can become quite challenging to visually know your hold over distances on 10" plates.

From zero to 300yds., it's a good scope. Used one for a couple of seasons before I went to the US Optics SN4.

Erik

I should have added in my original post that the longest 3 gun shot I'll see is 100 yds at the Ky State match.

The 3x is helpful for my old eyes.

Dave

Then I will definitely promote the CQT for matches with distance inside 300 yards. Erik recommended I use a CQT when I got started in 3 gun and it is still one of my most favorite scopes today for mid range competition and tactical use.

It does not have a daytime illuminated reticle but the circle dot is easily visible against just about all target types. Yes....Illumination would be just slightly faster but it was never a problem for me. Field of view on 1x was quite large and still plenty sufficient on 3x. The bigger drawback was eye relief on 3x. It changed a good bit from 1x-3x. Glass quality is conducive with all Leupold products....its on the upper end.

The scope is not overly large and is fairly compact and very robust. A separate mount is not needed. Add a Drissel Cat Tail throw lever and it becomes a very good scope for 3 gun.

I personally think the scope is an excellent choice for mid range work inside 300 yards. Especially if it can be had for a good price. I still have mine and use it on a work rifle.

Very good scope for anything within 250 or so, for me, 200 or less. As others have said before, beyond that it's a little more difficult . The center dot is 3moa at 3x so at 3x at 300 yards you've got a 9" dot which is a bit too big. But having a good sized dot at close range is a plus. The field of view is big, the optics are bright and is an excellent choice for hoser house clearings and long range precision shots out to 200.

I've had mine for over 5 years and use it at matches that don't go out too far. Worked pretty good at DPMS a couple years ago and I'll be using it at the Texas State Carbine in Corpus this weekend. Should be OK for that type of match.

At half price it would be an excellent buy.

I borrowed a friend's for a 3-Gun match and didn't like the reticule for any type of distance shooting, as I found the reticule was too big to aim precisely, i.e. I found it to cover too much of the target. I had problems with 10" - 12" plates (I can't remember how big the were) @ ~100 yards. I'm using a Trijicon TA-11 now and am very happy with it. With anything, if you can try before you buy, that is optimal.

• 3 months later...

I did not like it. A friend of mine had one on his gun and he did quite well with it. But the things I did not care for were the small field of view, lack of a daylight visible reticle and lack of a way to range. You really can't dial it in and there are no hold over points. I think you would be better off with something else in my opinion unless you got a hell of a deal on one.

Pat

I find it interesting that people who don't like it very much list things like, you can't range with it, and it doesn't do well at long range, and the dot covers too much at long range....remember, it is a Close Quarters Tactical-CQT. It isn't going to do what it isn't meant to do. It does what it is supposed to do very well. Also, the center dot is 3 min. If you are having trouble with a 10" plate using a 3"dot, I really don't know what to say. Not trying to sound harsh, sorry if I do.

With all this chatter and hub-bub about the CQT I couldn't resist and went out to the range and gave mine a run through yesterday. With a 100 yard zero grouping shots out to 300 on paper dinner plates were no problem (3" groups at 300). At 300 just put the bottom of the dot on top of the plate and squeeze. Maybe past 300 a little hold over is in order but with practice it can be done.

It is excellent for its intended purpose. Fast up close and good enough out at 300.

By the way, field of view compared to a couple other very popular 3-gun scopes at 1x:

TR24 = 97 feet.

Meopta = 111 feet.

CQT = 116 feet.

My friend's CQ/T is not really in the same class as other optics I've used. As stated above, good for what it is designed for. He doesn't keep batteries in it (no reason to, he says).

I have a question for anyone who's running the CQ/T in an ARMS mount. Does the ARMS mount add additional height over the factory Leupold mount? I recently changed the factory mount over to a Larue LT-106 and I find the additional 1/3" or so of height is off putting. I now get more of a chin weld rather than my usual cheek weld. I might get used to it but I think I'll like the ARMS mount better if it mimics the factory mount's height.