Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sabre Defence Raided

Say what?

I hear that Cav Arms is folding....going out of business because of the ATF raid and corresponding expensive legal battle.

Now....this?

Not folding, just giving up their FFL.

Hope Sabre can pull out of this in better shape than Cavarms though.

All of those related articles were from Aug. of 2008. I really don't think they have anything to do with what happened today. I did notice that Jim Cavanaugh's name came up again. Anybody else recognize that name?

Sabre press release:

NASHVILLE, Tenn., February 17, 2010 – Sabre Defence Industries LLC, an established manufacturer of firearms and weapon systems to the United States military, state and local law enforcement, and worldwide commercial markets, is fully cooperating with federal agents in an ongoing investigation into potential criminal misuse of certain non-saleable firearms produced by Sabre and purchased by some its employees. Sabre has received information that employee(s) involved in inventory control may have obtained and re-sold some items without appropriate licenses. Sabre is and has been cooperating with federal agents in this investigation.

My contact in Sabre told me the following: The ATF simply searched people and cars as they left, then locked the doors and did a complete top-to-bottom inventory. Took nothing, and are now working on the case.

Sabre was open again 36 hours later.

My take: someone was stealing from the company, and what they were stealing was something within the purview of the ATF. There will be trouble for them.

My take: someone was stealing from the company, and what they were stealing was something within the purview of the ATF. There will be trouble for them.

The one article I read said the same thing, that the ATF thinks that some employees were selling guns out the back door.

The guy / gal that does that is as stupid as they come. The bad thing is that Sabre get hammered in the public arena, sales / contracts go south, honest reliable employees are put out of work.

Worst of all, some poor grunt in the trench misses out on the right gear and goes home in a box.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

After reading the complaint that was served to CavArms, I'm a little hesitant to think that the ATF didn't raid Sabre Defense without good authority. The complaint served upon CavArms all but crucified them with the allegations brought forth for forfeiture of property. 8 counts were listed and all quite severe violations.

CavArms did not look good in the complaint by any means. Sabre Defence was named in the 33 page 236 paragraph complaint as well. That could have been the start of the investigation into them which lead up to the raid last Monday. I'm real interested to see the filed complaint that they were served with. Granted I'm just a layperson, maybe a good lawyer on here can shead some more light on the CavArms complaint.

I would hope that we wouldn't jump to any conclusions based on what appears in the complaint.

Now I don't do criminal defense work, but I am a civil trial attorney, and I will assure you that complaints are often full of exaggeration, hyperbole, and sometimes outright falsehoods.