Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Frame peening in 40 and 10mm Match pistols

Qbert

I recall reading that members on the CZ forums were having frame peening issues on their Elite Match pistols in 10mm and 40. Something about the guide rod impacting an area of the frame and causing the slide to become difficult to remove during disassembly.

Has anyone here experienced that?

The shock buffer will come once I get some time to play with different thickness of shims. Without altering the slide I think we can stick about a 0.060" shim (shock buff) and still have secure extract / feed. It would need to be tested before starting a production out of it.

Right now I'm working on prototyping the magwell which we came to a 99% design tonite. My machinist has some work to do now and we'll do some final tweaking. But it'll be nice, big and truly functional. At the same time, a new hammer & sear project is coming along rather nicely. Those have priority at the moment. The new guiderod will stop the battering which is the great improvement. The shock buff will be the next step which may have great benefits in reducing frame and slide impact.

Lots of things to do, so little time...

just a quick note on filing down the burrs. I did that for quite a while and it fixed the disassembly problem. But the guide rod eventually created a small 'crater' which I became increasingly worried would cause the factory guide rod to jump out of it's original 'cradle'. Going to a cone-fit guide rod increases the contact surface to a different level.

i have had just a small amount of peening in my .45 and .38Super Limited models. i got the conefit rods from Henning and all is aces now. take down is a breeze and no more dinging up the frame. i ran several hundred rounds through both this weekend and not a bit of damage from the guide rod. great product. can ya tell i like it?

liontribe

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Thread resurrection.

Henning - do you have any updates with the shims you were working on?

Nealio - the Sprinco has the exact profile (for the area that contacts the frame) as the stock guide rod. Since the Sprinco doesn't have Henning's Cone-fit profile to increase the contact area, wouldn't it continue to peen the frame just like the stock rod?

I have been using the Henning Cone Fit guide rod for at least 50,000 rounds in a .40 Limited gun and it has ZERO evidence of guide rod damage to the frame. His guide rod works great.

I don't think any shims or shock buffers are needed. I have yet to see any frames or slides get damaged where the slide and frame impact one another. This is also on Major Power factor .40 guns using a light 10lb recoil spring.

Edited by CHA-LEE

Thread resurrection.

Henning - do you have any updates with the shims you were working on?

Nealio - the Sprinco has the exact profile (for the area that contacts the frame) as the stock guide rod. Since the Sprinco doesn't have Henning's Cone-fit profile to increase the contact area, wouldn't it continue to peen the frame just like the stock rod?

I believe the peening is from the guiderod being shock loaded when the spring bottoms out hard. The Sprinco fixes that, and I think Henning's guiderod would also fix that issue. However you can also get issues with the slide cracking from the slide being shock loaded both from hitting the frame and from the spring bottoming out when shooting higher energy loads. This isn't as much of an issue with the low energy USPSA loads. But when you are almost doubling the energy, that can cause issues.

.40 "major" with a 180gr bullet is about 483 joules of energy

9mm "minor" with a 124gr bullet is about 412 joules of energy

10mm with a 155gr @ 1380 is 889 joules

10mm with a 180gr @ 1250 is 847 joules

So yeah I think the cone fit would be fine for .40 USPSA loads, but you need to take extra care when shooting 10mm loads.

my $.02

Edited by Nealio

If you have a guide rod spring that is coil binding before the slide bottoms out on the frame, that is not a valid spring configuration for the gun. The Guide Rod spring should never get compressed to a point where the coils are completely collapsed touching one other (this is called coil bind).

As far as the slide coming back and impacting the frame, this is going to happen that guns are are suppose to be designed to withstand this impact. Regardless of which recoil spring or caliber of ammo you are shooting the slide will come back hard and smack into the frame. That is what its designed to do. If you are cracking the slide or frame from normal shooting, then you have a poorly manufactured frame or slide and it should be warranty replaced.

Regardless of which recoil spring or caliber of ammo you are shooting the slide will come back hard and smack into the frame. That is what its designed to do.

Really? I had always thought the spring should go solid just before the slide hits the frame so that the slide stop takes all the beating? And that shock buffs or the head of a plastic guide rod serves to save the slide stop. I don't have any high round count pistols, nor have I ever broken any of these components, so this is all speculation on my part.

I trust you experience Cha-lee but this is news to me?

Regardless of which recoil spring or caliber of ammo you are shooting the slide will come back hard and smack into the frame. That is what its designed to do.

Really? I had always thought the spring should go solid just before the slide hits the frame so that the slide stop takes all the beating? And that shock buffs or the head of a plastic guide rod serves to save the slide stop. I don't have any high round count pistols, nor have I ever broken any of these components, so this is all speculation on my part.

I trust you experience Cha-lee but this is news to me?

If a guide rod spring was compressed to coil bind every time the slide cycled it would last about 100 rounds before it was toast. There are very few springs in the world that are actually designed to be compressed to a coil bind state regularly and maintain reliability. A guide rod spring is not one of them.