Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.Hogue or Calif Competion or Ed Brown?

t0066jh

I've been doing moon clip reloads with the right hand and a standard latch on my 627 for ICORE and Steel. It's time to learn reloading from the left. Which cylinder release if any do you prefer for reloading with the left. Would you recommend anything different with my 625 for USPSA?

Thanks

Joe

Joe, you'll just have to try them and see what you like. It's one of those personal preference things.

I used the Ed Brown thumb latches for years (no longer made), and then a couple seasons ago switched to the Hogue release and never looked back.

On the other hand, my son Sam (a solid revolver competitor in his own right) doesn't like anything other than the standard stock factory thumbpiece.

It's purely a matter of taste.

Tried stock, CC, and Hogue. For my taste, Hogue wins hands down. Like Mike said, try them all and see which is right for you. The main reason I like the Hogue is that it allows me to maintain my firing grip (I'm a rightie) and manipulate the extractor rod and fresh moons with my left.

Tried stock, CC, and Hogue. For my taste, Hogue wins hands down. Like Mike said, try them all and see which is right for you. The main reason I like the Hogue is that it allows me to maintain my firing grip (I'm a rightie) and manipulate the extractor rod and fresh moons with my left.

+1 the Hogue works the best for me too.

Hogue makes a shorter version of the same item too.

Has anyone tried the shorter one? I picked one up, but haven't tried it yet.

I like the Hogue,, some guys use the Hogue and trim the width down some with a file,, make it work best for you

I need to file on mine a little. Once in a while the lower corner of the pad cuts the thumb knuckle while shooting.

I seem to be in the minority but Pinnacle's release fits me best.

I wanted to try one, but couldn't get a response to a couple emails.

Edited by Brian Gonsalves

t0066jh, As Mike stated it is more of a preference type which is better Ford, Chevy, or Dodge. Your style of reload will also play a role in which one you like best. As of right now, I prefer the Ed Brown (which is no longer being made. The Calif. Comp. Release is similar to the Ed Brown and is my second choice. I do have a shorty Hogue which will go on my Steel Gun when finished. If lefthanded the Hogue would "seem" to work easier for the movement. Good Luck with your choice. Later rdd

Something to consider..

I would have never guessed the California Competition Works release is made of aluminum. They refer to them and "silver" and "blued", instead of anodized and whatever not anodized would be. Not trying to flame on them, but the way the picture on their site and the Dillon site is taken, it actually looks like stainless. I received one today that I ordered from Dillon, and might have gotten a bad example, but it has a fair amount of tooling marks and doesn't release my cylinder when installed. I didn't know this would be a fit part, especially when the fitting has to be done to the 180 degree periphery on the back side of the release. I will be calling Dillon tomorrow to see if I can ship it back..

Lee

P.S. "I will be calling Dillon tomorrow to see if I can ship it back.." is not a want ad, nor is it meant to be, nor am I attempting to circumvent the rules, or sell this; I am just stating my intentions for tomorrow and this should not be construed me making it available to anyone outside the "Classifieds" section, because we all know that is wrong.

Edited by Mitch_Rapp.45

Used the Cali-Comp for a few years then switched to the Hogue (short version). I like the Hogue more, just wish it had a knurled finished on the thumb pad instead of the machined long grooves. But like others have said... you gotta try different ones out till you find the one you like. :cheers: