Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Easiest way to switch powders and charge weight

I finally have a 1050 on the way. What is the easiest way to switch powders and charge weight? I'll be loading 9mm Major and minor exclusively. I currently use a Lock-N-Load and all I have to do is swap out the metering insert and change powders. On the 1050 will I just need 2 powder bars? How easy is it to drain the powder hopper?

Craig is right. There are two allen screws holding the measure on the die on the toolhead. There is on quick release pin attaching the failsafe rod to the powder slide.

It only takes about 2 minutes to make the change.

If you plan on loading more calibers/different powders, you might look into a uniquetek micrometer. Otherwise, 2 separate powder measures is the way to go.

Jordan,

Do you have spare lock n load inserts you'd like to sell for cheap? ;)

The inserts that get threaded onto the dies. I'm looking at buying the kit that will convert my Rockchucker and will need a few of those insert.

Thanks a bunch. Ill get another powder measure.

If you don't want to spend the $$ on a complete powder measure, you can get extra powder bars, and once

the powder bar is set, label the bar. Then simply swap those bars in and out of your powder measure.

Jordan,

Do you have spare lock n load inserts you'd like to sell for cheap? ;)

The inserts that get threaded onto the dies. I'm looking at buying the kit that will convert my Rockchucker and will need a few of those insert.

I might, but I want to get the 1050 up and running before I sell off any of my L-n-L stuff

Or you can also - once you have the bar set for one load, mark the adjustment nut at 12 o'clock with a Blue Sharpie Marker. Then when you go to the next load, mark it at 12 o'clock with a Black Sharpie Marker, and record how many turns and which direction you turned the nut to get there.

be

I favor the unique powder measure with a label on it. I have one each for .40 min & maj, .38sc min & maj, .45, 9mm and a couple spares.

Just makes life easier and I feel safer. And I still verify the charges when I switch back and forth.

Jim

Another option is as follows: Insert a sized, empty case under the powder measure. Pull the handle down, activating the measure. Using the inside faces on the top of a dial caliper, measure the gap between the exposed back of the powder bar insert to the back of the cavity of the powder bar.

Document this, and it is easy to go back to. Always verify weights with a powder scale!

I'm surprised that no one's mentioned the UniqueTek powder bar micrometer, yet. "Easiest" is a full powder measure assembly, of course - but 2nd easiest is the UniqueTek. I've been using one for a while - it's repeatable, and has very fine grained adjustments, so it's easy to change a charge by even just a tenth of a grain, without accidentally overshooting or having to throw four or five test charges to avoid overshooting... I've been using one for a while - it's definitely a piece of gear I consider essential on my press.

Gary's right, though - regardless, always double check on a scale!

Although there were a few options mentioned to get some kind of repetition to the powder charge, none of them deal with changing out different powders.

To do so effectively you either have to remove the powder measure and dump it out or cycle the measure numerous times to ensure it is empty. You just bought $1600 of badass machine. Trust me when I say the extra $75 bones is well worth it when it comes to changing out powder AND charge weight.

I would just get a second powder measure system. Not only will it make the changeover very simple but then you can label both measures and it will offer you another safety check when switching out powders.

That's exactly what I do too - I posted the picture before. I know some people have concerns over humidity, then I would say - as someone suggested here - putting a sheet of plastic wrap under the cover, or putting a condom over the top of the measure should do the trick.

Takes very little time to go between the powders, and they measures do keep the settings wonderfully. One word of caution - the first drop of any measure that has been sitting unused for a while will be larger than it should, so always throw that one out! I usually just dribble out some powder till it is right.

post-21305-126626983706_thumb.jpg