Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Long range optic for open division 3 gun rifle

Pro2AInPA

I'm looking for recommendations for an optic for an open 3 gun rifle. Close up shots (50-75 yards and under?) will be handled by a c-more railway at an angle on the handguard.

Now I need to pick an optic for up on top of the rail for the longer shots. Obviously true 1x doesn't matter.

I'm really considering a TA31 ACOG. 4x magnification and the wide FOV look good on paper, anyway.

I'm looking for recommendations for an optic for an open 3 gun rifle. Close up shots (50-75 yards and under?) will be handled by a c-more railway at an angle on the handguard.

Now I need to pick an optic for up on top of the rail for the longer shots. Obviously true 1x doesn't matter.

I'm really considering a TA31 ACOG. 4x magnification and the wide FOV look good on paper, anyway.

The ACOG is an excellent choice. I have been running an ACOG for a few years now and even though sometimes I need something with less power (Tactical), I just cant find anything that compares without $2500+. Excellent glass, no paralax, BDC reticle that works, rock solid zero for the life of the mounting ...

Would you recommend the TA31? I would probably go with the TA11 if I was only running one optic but with the red dot for up close, the TA31 seems like a better choice.

The ACOG is an excellent choice. I have been running an ACOG for a few years now and even though sometimes I need something with less power (Tactical), I just cant find anything that compares without $2500+. Excellent glass, no paralax, BDC reticle that works, rock solid zero for the life of the mounting ...

ACOGs are good glass, but I would suggest you consider the TA11 over the TA31 as the TA11 has much more generous eye relief which is very helpful especially when shooting in odd positions.

Would you recommend the TA31? I would probably go with the TA11 if I was only running one optic but with the red dot for up close, the TA31 seems like a better choice.

I shoot a TA31 because thats what I got used to but the TA11 really does have the mentioned advantages for our game..

Swarovski Z6i 1.7-10 with circle dot. It would even serve you well when the c-more stops working. Yeah its expensive, but the pain goes away eventually.

Like I said, to compare in quality you need $2500+ !! Swaro,US Optics,etc..

Aside from the Swarovski.....for open with a close range red dot optic....I really like the Nightforce 2.5-10x24 with their Velocity reticle. A big scope in a small package with a bearable price tag considering its awesome quality.

But me personally....I would just run one optic for open. A Swaro Z6i 1-6. Same optic I run now in Tac Optics. I don't like changing the cheek weld or canting the rifle if not necessary.I also prefer the same sight picture...but hey, thats me. With that said several of the best Open division 3 gunners run the red dot on the side with an optic. Jerry Miculek, Mike Voigt, James Darst, Chris Tilley to name a few.

Swarovski Z6i 1.7-10 with circle dot. It would even serve you well when the c-more stops working. Yeah its expensive, but the pain goes away eventually.

I think Rainer used a Swarivski 1-6X to win the Euro Rifle Championship with (with no red dot secondary sight). It is a great optic.

When I shot Open I used a Leupold VariX II 3-9X and an Aimpoint. Now I would run a Leupold Deltapoint or JPoint as the secondary sight and a Leupold 2.5-8X or the Swarovski 1-6X as the main sight.

I wouldn't recommend the TA31 due to the short eye relief. I really like the size and weight of the TA31, but the 1.5" eye relief is a liability. My experiences with the TA01, TA01NSN, TA31, TA11, and TA33:

icon-trijicon-acog-considerations-new.jpg

03designgroup | Trijicon ACOG Considerations extwh3.png

Hope this helps

Nice information!! I like my TA01NSN. I agree with the eye relief issue- I decided to change to a TR24R for that reason. If I was still hunting-I would stick with my TA01NSN and put a JPoint on top. Really heads up shooting then.

Fort Benning and Superstition Mountain last year had shoot house type stages. The Fort Benning could be shot using your knuckle as a sight (but probably better with a 1x), but Superstition you needed a 1x or get down on your irons. because of a few 15 and 20 yd targets in between 5yd targets. FYI. You never know what you are going to need.

I am still liking my purchase of a leupold CQ-4 a while back, it does everything i ask of it, with a simple twist ofthe wrist i can go from the no power close up shots to shooting 200+ on 3 power( i hated the canting ofthe rifle w/ the secondary optic cuz ofthe hot brass that kept landin on me, an a couple made it down my shirt, making me do the happy dance)