Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Longslide Question

BN91205

Hey Guys,

For those that own 6" Limited 1911, what recoil spring are you using? I searched the internet and Wolff seems to have the only springs for longslides and they don't even list poundages, just numbers. I've seen some photos in the gallery section of this forum and some guns appear to have been modified to take Gov't springs... Any suggestions/recommendations on my build?

Thanks,

Brian

I have a STI Eagle 6" I use the Wolff # 4 cut to 36 coils, it is stronger than the factory spring which was too soft for me. I ordered the Wolff longslide pack till I figured out what I wanted. I have no idea the weight. I use the plug that came with the gun. The 2 piece guide rod drove me nuts though so I replaced it with a 5" one piece that I cut to one inch longer than a GI, gun runs perfectly so far.

Better off ? You havent mentioned any advantages to your suggestion or disadvantages to mine.

Lets see mine uses a readily available well known brand inexpensive spring that lasts longer than 5 inch springs, I am using a guide rod system in use since the first 1911 and have run several majors including Nationals without a hiccup, In exactly what way would I be "better off".

:surprise:

Your better off using one of the reverse plugs like STI,egw& caspian :bow:

and using a 5 inch recoil spring, if your are using a bushing barrel

the same plugs can be cut to use the bushing.

Jim/Pa

Sailors ;):D

I was looking on Shooter's Connection and saw the STI reverse plug for 6" slides that will allow me to use a Gov't recoil spring. Think I'm going this route based on your recommendation.

Thank you,

Brian

Better off ? You havent mentioned any advantages to your suggestion or disadvantages to mine.

Lets see mine uses a readily available well known brand inexpensive spring that lasts longer than 5 inch springs, I am using a guide rod system in use since the first 1911 and have run several majors including Nationals without a hiccup, In exactly what way would I be "better off".

I use a 5" 13 pound standard rate spring with the STI spring plug that allows me to use the 5" spring and a 5" guide rod. You are better off doing the same. Yep, definitely better off. :roflol:

Chris

Edited by Singlestack
To remove antagonistic comment.

Hello: Use the STI reverse plug that uses the 5" recoil springs. Try the 12.5 lb and the 14 lb ISMI 5" recoil springs to see which one you like better. It will depend on the weight of your slide and what you like. Benny Hill at Triangle Shooting Sports uses the 12.5 LB ISMI springs and he has been making those Fat Free's for a long time :devil: Thanks, Eric

Hello: Use the STI reverse plug that uses the 5" recoil springs. Try the 12.5 lb and the 14 lb ISMI 5" recoil springs to see which one you like better. It will depend on the weight of your slide and what you like. Benny Hill at Triangle Shooting Sports uses the 12.5 LB ISMI springs and he has been making those Fat Free's for a long time :devil: Thanks, Eric

Eric,

Thanks for the info. One question and pardon my ignorance... what does the term fat-free mean? I hear that a lot from folks on this board and have never been able to decipher.

Regards,

Brian

Hello: "Fat Free" is the name Benny Hill gives to his 6" pistols. They have a lightened slide hence the name "Fat Free". They seem to be the best 6" limited pistol I have shot so far. I have tried a couple of others from some big name builders and they just don't feel as good to shoot than the "Fat Free's" at least to me. His newest ones use a bushing barrel and are lighter. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric