Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2010 Mississippi Classic

Let me know if they didn't get their shoe back and I'll work out some sort of discounted entry fee for them this year. We're not totally heartless. ;) We actually talked about that bay at the meeting last night. We're hoping to have the "mud bay" footing issues fixed up before this year's match.

No worries, John, all ended well. And I'm not too worried about the "mud bay" footing this year- I'll be sporting Hot Pink w/ Leopard spot wellies. I'm a little worried though they will clash w/ my red/white/blue Freedom Gunworks jersey! :D

Looking forward to a great match- counting down the weeks!

Susan

I want one of those jerseys! :cheers: See you and Bobby in May...Forrest

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, we do not use online squadding for the Classic. There are a lot of pros for it, but there are a lot of cons too. I'm sure there are lots of threads on it already, so I won't get into a big discussion here, but my feeling is that since we honor squadding requests to the best of our abilities, the biggest pro for online seems to be that it relieves the match staff of some tedious work. It also limits our ability to juggle things around to keep things flowing smoothly and make sure everyone has a good time. Frankly I don't mind doing the work so we're still doing it the old fashioned way.

We're kind of dinosaurs I guess. No online squadding, no palm scoring, etc.

No, we do not use online squadding for the Classic. There are a lot of pros for it, but there are a lot of cons too. I'm sure there are lots of threads on it already, so I won't get into a big discussion here, but my feeling is that since we honor squadding requests to the best of our abilities, the biggest pro for online seems to be that it relieves the match staff of some tedious work. It also limits our ability to juggle things around to keep things flowing smoothly and make sure everyone has a good time. Frankly I don't mind doing the work so we're still doing it the old fashioned way.

We're kind of dinosaurs I guess. No online squadding, no palm scoring, etc.

I KNEW there was something I liked about you :wub:

I also prefer not to use on-line squadding, for many of the reasons you have listed here. The biggest two problems I've had that you did not address are 1) the group of five that signs in late, when all the squad openings are 2 or 3; and 2)shooters who have to register late because of military service or other work obligations and cannot get on squads with friends.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Columbia SC

How did I miss this? Linda says she likes me and Peggy's going to come shoot. I couldn't ask for a better endorsement if Brian announced he was coming out of retirement to shoot the Classic. :cheers:

John, you don't know how much I wanted to shoot the Mississippi Classic this year. I shoot one major match every year just for fun (because I work so many). Everyone who has been there from South Carolina has simply raved about it.

I thought I had it all figured out - I would be in College Station TX the weekend before the MS Classic and planned to shoot it on my way back to South Carolina. Then the NRA scheduled the Annual meeting on the same weekend as the Classic. :( Between my obligations to my local gun club, and getting sponsorship for the Pan Amrerican Shotgun, I cannot skip the NRA meeting.

Will try again next year!

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Columbia SC

John,

I'm looking forward to attending this match again. I had a great time and really enjoyed the match, and we hope to provide some sponsorship support this year. I'm going to be all wore out, but I'll be smiling ear to ear. The weekend before I'll be at a long range shoot near Nashville Tenn, and we'll just be getting settled into our new building.

Forrest, if you can talk Mrs Peggy into shooting tell her I'll tote her range bag for her! :blush:

You should call me about one of those jerseys, I think we might be able to make that happen. :cheers:

The food vendor is a major part of my secret master plan to improve my overall placement. He's not there on Friday when the RO's shoot so unlike the rest of you I won't have to worry about how I'm going to make it through my afternoon stages with a belly full of deep fried oreos and funnel cake. I haven't perfected the plan though because Ms. Ramona usually tries to keep things fair by stuffing all the RO's full of her homemade red beans or jambalaya. Got to work on that.

Bobby, you can plan on relaxing and not worry about carrying bags too much because we'll have the "Shooter Shuttle" cranked up again this year. It's our Mississippi take on the mono-rail from Disney World, only with more diesel and a bucket on the front. :P

dropped my registration and check in the mail the other day and made reservations. i've never shot in mississippi so it'll be a first for me.

How did I miss this? Linda says she likes me and Peggy's going to come shoot. I couldn't ask for a better endorsement if Brian announced he was coming out of retirement to shoot the Classic. :cheers:

John, you don't know how much I wanted to shoot the Mississippi Classic this year. I shoot one major match every year just for fun (because I work so many). Everyone who has been there from South Carolina has simply raved about it.

I thought I had it all figured out - I would be in College Station TX the weekend before the MS Classic and planned to shoot it on my way back to South Carolina. Then the NRA scheduled the Annual meeting on the same weekend as the Classic. :( Between my obligations to my local gun club, and getting sponsorship for the Pan Amrerican Shotgun, I cannot skip the NRA meeting.

Will try again next year!

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Columbia SC

Linda, You have got to figure a way to make this one sometime soon. John and his stat crew do a great job, but I am sure you can show them how to do it better. Besides that we just want you to came and have some fun in the "Hospitality State." :cheers:

Look forward to seeing you next year, hopefully.

PAT

P.S. If you really want to help, you will sign up to shoot revolver. There are several of us who can loan you rigs and ammo to help you out if you don't have one.

• 3 weeks later...

This is gonna be a great match like last year - Chicken ona stick baby cant wait hahaha....

Yeah, the long wait was worth it, not to mention any other food you may want fried.....oreos, pickles to mention a few.....That reminds me.....pack rolaids

I saw this was listed as a day and half format. Does that mean they expect it to be complete by mid day on Sunday ??? I was only wondering as to the possibilities of making it back to the coast that night for my return trip to Florida. :unsure:

I saw this was listed as a day and half format. Does that mean they expect it to be complete by mid day on Sunday ??? I was only wondering as to the possibilities of making it back to the coast that night for my return trip to Florida. unsure.gif

That's how it was last year. I believe we only shot 3 stages Sunday morning, then awards, etc.

I saw this was listed as a day and half format. Does that mean they expect it to be complete by mid day on Sunday ??? I was only wondering as to the possibilities of making it back to the coast that night for my return trip to Florida. unsure.gif

That's how it was last year. I believe we only shot 3 stages Sunday morning, then awards, etc.

I hope I can make it this year. Just need to get through our section championship this weekend and then I should be able to think clearly enough to work out the trip.

John, can you hold me a slot for a week or so? :rolleyes:

Hi Guys,

Yes, weather and whatever permitting, we try to time the match to have awards done by 1:30-2:00. The prize table dragged on a bit last year but we're working on a plan to speed that up a bit this year. Still going to be a random drawing to ensure everyone has an equal chance at the good prizes, but we want it to move a little quicker than last year.

Jack,

I'll do my best to hold onto some spots, but you have to do your best to convince John and Sandra to come with you again. Would love to have you join us again.

Things are really coming together for the match and I'm getting excited. I'm heading to the range tonight for another RO work night and I want to get there early so I can look over some of the drainage work that our host range has been doing trying to get things ready. I know a lot of you guys were hoping to see the mud bowl on stage three again but it's looking like you may be disappointed. The entire East end of the range has been regraded for better drainage.

More later.

John

Just back from another work night at the range and found out some good news. One of the stages this year will be the "Waterfall" stage. For those of you who have shot past MS Classics, this was one we used back in 04 and 05. The first year, we encountered problems with the water from the stage and rain causing the wood to swell and the ports would not open reliably. The next year we engineered it a little better and things ran well. This year it has been modified for simplicity, but will still offer the challenge of shooting through sheets of water at blurry targets. Open gun shooters beware, splashes of water are not good for dot sights :roflol:

Hope to see a big crowd there this year. John tells me we are up to around 100 entries so far, counting RO's. Only about 100 slots left!