Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How long does media really last...

Corey

Im getting ready to order some brass to make sure I get my initial supply up where I want it and it got me thinking. If I buy un-tumbled brass from someone/ somewhere it could take me awhile to clean it ( no biggie, i have spare time). What I dont have a lot of right now is media.

How long do you let yours go before tossing it out/changing it out? Not sure if I want to buy actual "tumbling media" or the lizard bedding from pet store ideas ive seen from searching-but thats not really the topic here. How long should good media last before its time to change it?

Tough question. Depends upon how dirty the brass is to start, how shiny you want it to be and how much you run at a time. I have the big Dillon tumbler/cleaner, and running 200-400 pieces of 9X23 brass through each batch, it lasts for about 10 runs before I throw it out. I also add some Dillon Rapid Polish to the first 2-4 batches and pretty much leave it alone after that. The media will turn dark to let you know when its life is getting short. Also it takes longer to do the job as it gets loaded up with the grunge from the cases.

YMMV

Alan~^~

If you save the old Dryer static sheets that gets used in the Laundry. = I will put two or three in the mix to take out the 'dust' that collects. Also I will some times add in a cap full of Mineral Spirits.

With that I will use the same media for over a year or two.

I use my media until it turns a darkish gray. I use Nufinish car wax from Wallyworld. There is a recent post regarding media ordered from Drillspot.com. 40 pounds/$20.05 delivered. Can't beat that deal. :cheers:

CYa,

Pat

I've used blasting media for years and just got my first order from Drillspot.com (drop shipped from Grainger)$20 delivered, got it the next day too.

At $20 per 40#'s you can swap it out about as often as you want. I too use nufinish. I generally do 2 tumblings if I want it real shinny, and rotate media out of the process. Dirty/old media to get the dirty stuff semi clean, cleaner media with polishing compound to shine it up.

:blush: well... i bought my media whit my thumber about 7 years ago.... :goof:

well i wash it with a basic acid for brick curtain and water... the media becomes as new. Just add a little quantity of dillon polish and they are ready to works fine again..

Total cost 10,00 € about $8,00 ;)

I run mine about a year. Keep forgetting about the dryer sheets. I use what every polish I happen to find. When you use polish the dirt cakes up and sticks to the side of the tumbler I just scrape it off and keep going. Only use a small amount of polish or it gums up the corn and it sticks in the cases. Flitz is the best polish I found.

The RCBS media seperator is a good one. Yes, I sold a Dillion. Handling media is the biggest source of lead.

Tough question. Depends upon how dirty the brass is to start, how shiny you want it to be and how much you run at a time. I have the big Dillon tumbler/cleaner, and running 200-400 pieces of 9X23 brass through each batch, it lasts for about 10 runs before I throw it out. I also add some Dillon Rapid Polish to the first 2-4 batches and pretty much leave it alone after that. The media will turn dark to let you know when its life is getting short. Also it takes longer to do the job as it gets loaded up with the grunge from the cases.

YMMV

Alan~^~

This is about how I would have answered. I'll add that with walnut shells I can also tell when it is time to change it because you can feel the difference in the sharpness. After several loads of brass pick up a handful of new shells then pick up the used shells you will feel why it has stopped working as well. Make sure to wash your hands. Also get a pack of the lead removing Dwipes from Dillon. They work great.

i already use the dryer sheets, that was a great idea! Ill look into local pet stores for extra bedding/media as i dont have a ton, but what I have probably has some more life in it. Ill look into the polish as ive never used it before.

I also want to look into those lead wipes...not a fan of high lead levels or lead poisoning, haha. I do wash my hands thorughly after sifting cases by hand. Maybe Ill look at the sifters too.

Thanks for all the input!!