Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Poor mans low powder alarm

This is a cheap or at least cheaper way to have a low powder alarm with stuff you may already have laying around.

I just used a hole saw to make the plate and an old 22cal cleaning rod. Drilled a hole in the rod and put a primer tube pin in to set the alarm off. I had a steel bushing that just happened to fit the top of the alarm but I think you might beable to use a 20ga or 28ga shotgun shell with the primer knocked out. This will keep the rod centered. 2 self tapping screws in the lid and a rubber band to hold it on. No altering to the alarm so if you ever need it for something else it's not damaged.

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

No offence ,but isnt the primer alarm as much as the powder alarm? I fail to see where your saving money unless you got the primer alarm for free.. And if your using your only primer alarm as a powder alarm. Does that not leave without a primer alarm.

You better check your Blue Press. Low powder alarm is $41.95. Low primer alarm is $23.95. but I already had an extra Primer alarm so it was as posted."Stuff you may already have laying around".

Scott

My "powder alarm" are the two eyes on the front of my face. Much cheaper and less trouble. :D

And you NEVER forget to look up. :closedeyes:

Scott

Ok, say you are loading with a 550 (which is what I load with). Exactly how many primers does the primer tube hold? 100, right? So, every 100 rounds or so, you are gonna have to take a second and feed the beast more primers. Obviously, if you can do all this, while continuing to crank out rounds, and not looking at the primer tube and dropping them in, then you REALLY need a low powder sensor. And, I'd like to see the pic of you with your 3rd arm growing from your chest, cause there ain't no way you are cranking out rounds and doing all that with only two!

I'm with ya SiG Lady. Much rather trust my eyes, than some noise maker that has a battery that can fail.

My "powder alarm" are the two eyes on the front of my face. Much cheaper and less trouble. :D

Scott

Ok, say you are loading with a 550 (which is what I load with). Exactly how many primers does the primer tube hold? 100, right? So, every 100 rounds or so, you are gonna have to take a second and feed the beast more primers. Obviously, if you can do all this, while continuing to crank out rounds, and not looking at the primer tube and dropping them in, then you REALLY need a low powder sensor. And, I'd like to see the pic of you with your 3rd arm growing from your chest, cause there ain't no way you are cranking out rounds and doing all that with only two!

I'm with ya SiG Lady. Much rather trust my eyes, than some noise maker that has a battery that can fail.

So, GrumpyOne, You are saying you don't have a low primer alarm on your 550 either then. Because it has batteries and makes noise.

This was never put up as a discusion about if you like them or not. Just as a way to make one cheaply if you wanted one.

Scott

Scott

So, GrumpyOne, You are saying you don't have a low primer alarm on your 550 either then. Because it has batteries and makes noise.

This was never put up as a discusion about if you like them or not. Just as a way to make one cheaply if you wanted one.

Scott

Very true. And I applaud the ingenuity of making the low powder sensor. I personally just see no need of them. I understand the concept behind them, taking one more thing off of your mind while loading, but honestly, if you can't take a few seconds to glance up at the measure or primer tube, then I wonder how much attention is being paid to the actual loading. It's not all about speed. Speed comes with repitition.

I watch EVERY case that goes through my machine, through every stage, and still have time to glance up and see if there is powder or primers left. Besides, I fill the powder measure to the top and give it a stir with the brass rod before I load the first case, and know how many rounds I can load before it goes empty.

K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple and Stupid.

I have a low primer alarm, but it has failed me before, and not from the battery. The contacts got corroded and it wouldn't buzz when it got to the end. I now use a brass rod, with a 90 degree bend in it, which goes all the way down to the last primer. Even without the buzzers on the powder or primer systems, I still manage to load 350-400 an hour, just by looking up at the powder measure and brass rod, every once in a while. ;)

Edited by GrumpyOne

Call me crazy but I dont want anything that isn't necessarily designed to touch my powder in there. My powder comes right out of the bottle, goes into the powder measure, and right into the case. Thats it. Same thing goes for my primers. If I drop one on the floor, and have to pick it up with my hands, it goes right in the trash. Oil from your fingers can cause a primer to become inert, and I dont want oil from a washer or other piece of metal touching my powder either. Powder comes into contact with the primers inside the case doesnt it?

"...I watch EVERY case that goes through my machine, through every stage, and still have time to glance up and see if there is powder or primers left...."
That pretty much sums it up for me. It's something I find that I do instinctively.

Call me crazy but I dont want anything that isn't necessarily designed to touch my powder in there. My powder comes right out of the bottle, goes into the powder measure, and right into the case. Thats it. Same thing goes for my primers. If I drop one on the floor, and have to pick it up with my hands, it goes right in the trash. Oil from your fingers can cause a primer to become inert, and I dont want oil from a washer or other piece of metal touching my powder either. Powder comes into contact with the primers inside the case doesnt it?

I would actually call it anal retentive, not crazy, just obsessive at the very least...I've yet to cause a primer to go inert from the oil on my hands or fingers for that matter...honestly unless the oil is dripping from some other material there isn't much of a threat from it, let's be a bit realistic. Alarmist are the bane of existence and progress.

-ETA_ nice shooting by the way! :cheers:

Edited by craigulator

GREAT JOB I like it, I think you were pretty resourceful converting the primer alarm. I made my own too, I pretty much copied Dillons design though, mines made from a plastic rod, kitchen cutting board and a radio shack buzzer.

Don't listen to these guys either sure you can look up every once and awhile but sooner or later you can get sloppy doing any repetitive task and having the added insurance like a alarm sure the hell couldn't hurt.

-Steve

I to applaude your d.i.y. project.

When I first started with my 550 "someone" overtightend the primer sensor and it cracked. I called Dillon and explained that it was my fault and needed to buy an new part. Well you can guess that they sent me a free replacement straight away.

Anyway, it so happens that the "broken" sensor would be usable for your application.

I like the powder sensing die on the 650 and feel that it makes a powder measure alarm redundant. But on a 550 or SD, this would be a great idea.

2 cents,

Fred

I run a powder alarm on my 1050 and 650. I originally got it for the 550 when loading rifle. 48grains a drop you get through it.

I found that there is no way anything inthe Powder Alarm will damage or contaminate your powder. There is plenty of otehr crap in a realoding room that will do that.

After some comments from freinds who theorized that what did it do for the drop consistancy I tested that as best I could.

I found it made 5/8 of SFA of a difference. Nothing bad, nothing enough better to write a story over (except this).

Buy one or make one if you want. If you don't don't. There is a mental advantage if you think there is one. Just read Brians book for confirmation. :ph34r:

Great idea and nice design, I have some stuff taking space and the time to come up with some really neat things.

Did I need it? Not always

Was it Worth it? Maybe not

Did my friends think I'm going crazy or just have too much time on my hands? Yes

Did it Work? Not always

Was I entertained by the projects? Yes, Yes, and Yes

My loading area has some cabinets I made that cost me double what pre-made cabinets from Home Depot cost. Do they work better? NO, but i love woodwork.

My latest junk box project is a single stack 9mm 1911 and the only part purchased was the rear sight. And it shoots well.

Keep up the Good Work CAMO66

Thanks for the reply guys. I was beginning to wonder if I needed to retitle this as "Why you shouldn't make a cheap low powder alarm as it will ruin your primers with oil." ;)

Thanks

Scott

Hey, you do what works for you, and I'll do what works for me. As long as it works ........... that's all that matters!

For what it's worth I think your idea is great, and your ingenuity superb! I just dont see the necessity for the alarm, when the powder is right there in front of you. To each his own. :)

Edited by Chris Keen