Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WTB #6-48 Countersunk Mount Screws

CocoBolo

Posting this for a fellow shooter GM. His gun has been in the shot for over a month waiting on 5 screws to mount the C-More. The screws supplied with the Cheely mount did not fit the gun. Need 5 screws size is #6-48 1/2 long with Allen or Torx, Star head and counter sunk.

We have looked everywhere no wild goose hunts please.

PM if you have some or send info if you know where some are.

Try www.mcmaster.com

Posting this for a fellow shooter GM. His gun has been in the shot for over a month waiting on 5 screws to mount the C-More. The screws supplied with the Cheely mount did not fit the gun. Need 5 screws size is #6-48 1/2 long with Allen or Torx, Star head and counter sunk.

I would think in a city the size of yours you would have a specialty hardware supplier. I live in Portland Oregon across the Columbia River in Vancouver Washington is Vancouver Bolt I just got a 5-40 tap to put 2 more mount holes on the left side of my frame and 3 5-40 stainless allen head set screws to plug the holes on the right side. They seem to have every weird thing I need (360)699-4406 (800)882-2658 FAX(360)694-4153 I talk to Kevin he knows his stuff.

Hope this helps

Tim

Ok, mcmaster.com and shooters connection do not have these screws. Guys these screws are not common. 5X40 is the common one on most guns.

We have 4 bolt specialty companies here in town none of them have these screws. If you have some kind of assortment of gun screws check it if you have them pm.

If you work in the aircraft industry you might have some.

Brownells does not have these screws either.

I will call Portland tomorrow.

Would this work?

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=1768/pid=393/sku/6_48x1_2__Weaver_Oval_Stainless_Steel_Screw_Refill_Pak

Kevin

Kevin they are not Torx or Allen but they may just have to work. Red Locktite and they would have to be drilled out.

Thanks.

I'm going to try a little more for Torx or Allen head.

i had the same issue last week mounting a thumb rest on my IMM. the only place i could get them was from Derek at Millennium Custom. his shop is close to my house and he his a fellow local shooter. not sure if he will sell them but you could try. i spent 2hrs at grainger going thru their inventory and tried every hardware supply store locally and could not get them either.

Those appear to be Fillister head (FH in the title) screws so no counter sync. I looked at those before I made my recommendation of the oval heads. Red loc tite can be removed with heat. you dont' have to drill them out. The slotted head screws could still work fine with red loc tite if nothing else looks doable.

I only red locktite my scope screws and have so for many many years. Anything else loosens up. By the time you need to remove your scope(which should be like once or twice in its life) the locktite is broken down by oil and solvent that I just use a new wrench and careful firm torque to remove.

Heat is not a good idea on a plastic part and of course fine on metal. I had to drill out a stripped screw once. You only need like 400 degrees to melt locktite so a brief hit with a propane/butane is fine. I have see somebody use a soldering iron with ok results.

As to finding the size you need I have seen people up in size as mentioned, very successfully.

Hopefully Jerry 1911 has them as he says and he should know he is a Engineer at Toyota and a real nice guy. If so we shall have it done. Will know tomorrow. If not it may get the 8x40 put to it.

I changed out two guns a few months ago with Quinn mounts. My Briley had a plate on the frame that had to be milled off and the holes had to be plugged and new ones put in, it was well worth it. The other one just needed a wiff of popane to loosen the Red Locktite.

Thanks for all the help guys.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...