Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Minimum Pistol Barrel length and backup pistol question

AngelDeVille

I'm looking to buy a second pistol, as my son has adopted the pistol I intended to use.

The primary pistol has a 5" barrel length.

I found a second used pistol for a good deal, but it has a 4.5" barrel length.

I doubt I'll ever use or convert either pistol to use RMR's, and may or may not add a magwell to either.

Of course longer sight radius is better, but would a 4.5" barrel be considered too short?

I do want a second pistol of the same type for sure.

What are your thoughts in general on barrel length?

Thanks for your insight.

6 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

What are you using the pistol for ? 

Action pistol and some 3-gun.  I don't know all the acronyms for pistol competition, but I'll be going to as many as I can per month.  IPSC, IDPA, USPCA, UCLA, YMCA, etc...

I do know there is one that doesn't allow drop holsters, but I haven't been to one yet.

They joke because it's pretty inconsequential.

Barrel length may change the feel of the gun for you. Sight radius matters more to some than others. You have to handle it and decide, if you're really going to switch back and forth often identical would probably be the best course.

Probably the biggest thing for a half inch that won't really matter either is making power factor, your longer gun will probably be a few points higher than it needs to be running the same loads as the shorter one.

At any given USPSA match I'll see 2011s with barrels spanning a 1.5" or so range, about an equal split of G17s and 34s, maybe even a couple 19s, and of course a whole variety of other stuff I couldn't pull specs from my head on. It's not like all the A class and ups are all shooting lengths at one end of the spectrum either.

Some games have gun restrictions that may come into play if other things change with the barrel length, like bull barrel instead of bushing, you could end up with an oddball only competitive in Lim10 or something.

20 hours ago, AngelDeVille said:

longer sight radius is better, would a 4.5" barrel be considered too short?

What are your thoughts in general on barrel length?

If you're going to do a lot of shooting, involving some travel especially,

I wouldn't buy your next gun based on "a good deal".

you're going to spend a LOT of $$$ this year shooting, loading and travelling -

why not buy The Gun you like the most - even if it's a bit more $$$$.    :) 

9 minutes ago, Beef15 said:

They joke because it's pretty inconsequential.

Barrel length may change the feel of the gun for you. Sight radius matters more to some than others. You have to handle it and decide, if you're really going to switch back and forth often identical would probably be the best course.

Probably the biggest thing for a half inch that won't really matter either is making power factor, your longer gun will probably be a few points higher than it needs to be running the same loads as the shorter one.

At any given USPSA match I'll see 2011s with barrels spanning a 1.5" or so range, about an equal split of G17s and 34s, maybe even a couple 19s, and of course a whole variety of other stuff I couldn't pull specs from my head on. It's not like all the A class and ups are all shooting lengths at one end of the spectrum either.

Some games have gun restrictions that may come into play if other things change with the barrel length, like bull barrel instead of bushing, you could end up with an oddball only competitive in Lim10 or something.

Thanks,

I would use as a primary pistol for my son, but IF need arises we would most likely be sharing whichever pistol was still up and running.

I don't see either pistol as having a use past competition.

25 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

If you're going to do a lot of shooting, involving some travel especially,

I wouldn't buy your next gun based on "a good deal".

you're going to spend a LOT of $$$ this year shooting, loading and travelling -

why not buy The Gun you like the most - even if it's a bit more $$$$.    :) 

Yeah that's very true.

I don't expect to do more traveling beyond the local area.

If I go the new vs used route I'd very likely spend $100-150 more on that extra .5"  Unless I find a used one....

I'm by no means a master and I have XXL size 12 hands but I still shoot my Glock 19 better than the 17 even though it's shorter. It just feels better to me. 

The downside of having a longer sight radius is that you're going to wobble more getting on target. That's why 10m Olympic air pistol competitors start out with the shorter sight radius guns ~ they're steadier ~ and only go longer once their arms are strong enough to steady a longer sight radius. 

Shorter gun equals faster transitions too. 

That said I've always wanted to try a Glock 17L just to see the difference. 

Edited by Frankly

2 hours ago, eric.goodwin.376 said:

Following I shoot a 4 inch xd just as well as my 5 inch guns just because it fits me perfect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I shoot most things well, but the competition side is a new thing, so I'm wanting to start out myself and my son on the right track.

2 hours ago, Frankly said:

I'm by no means a master and I have XXL size 12 hands but I still shoot my Glock 19 better than the 17 even though it's shorter. It just feels better to me. 

The downside of having a longer sight radius is that you're going to wobble more getting on target. That's why 10m Olympic air pistol competitors start out with the shorter sight radius guns ~ they're steadier ~ and only go longer once their arms are strong enough to steady a longer sight radius. 

That said I've always wanted to try a Glock 17L just to see the difference. 

I have held a 17L, and it just felt excessively long to me. I also don't like the 17, but I like the 34 and 19.

I hadn't thought about steadiness differences with sight radius, but it makes sense.

I talked to the local shop, and they do have the full size pistol on order but they have no idea when the order will be filled because of the holidays.  But for sure I'd be in the +$150 range for the new pistol... That's the price of three magazines I'd like to have but don't totally need....

I am new to competition also but I figured I’d be better with what I shoot better. Maybe it’s just me but I have guns to play with as i shoot match’s. You have anywhere around you with a indoor range that rents out guns? Maybe you could shoot both and see what you like better?

3 hours ago, eric.goodwin.376 said:

I am new to competition also but I figured I’d be better with what I shoot better. Maybe it’s just me but I have guns to play with as i shoot match’s. You have anywhere around you with a indoor range that rents out guns? Maybe you could shoot both and see what you like better?

I have shot a few types of guns over the years, and I adapt well to many different types. Kind of a jack of all trades, master of none situation. 

When I decided I was looking for a competition pistol I looked at 9mm 1911's, but I didn't find the right combination of Brand/Features/Price (What I want would easily cost more than twice almost 3 times what I have now.)

IF I had found a reasonably priced Beretta M9, I would have gone that route.

I actually had a Glock 34 on the counter, ready to commit to, and the girl at the counter brought out the CZ 5" barrel P09...

I figure if I quit gun hopping it will make me more consistent, and more accurate.  I'm not looking for speed, I'd just like a clean run each time.

I gave up my dreams of a 9mm 1911 and sold off my magazines today, I'm in negotiations to sell off my magwell and grips too....

I did and will shoot my LW .45 Commander from time to time, but I'm not as accurate with it. (want clean runs)

I really thank you all for the tips, I decided I'm not going to get the used pistol and placed an order to have one of these sent to my FFL... My other pistol is the Black version.

6524144_01_brand_new_cz_p09_urban_grey_9

I have dreams of a Shadow 2 as well, but that will be a long time down the road, maybe an STI 9mm, but that's even further down the road,,,,,

Very nice looking gun and time and practice I’m sure you’ll be spot on with it. I looked at the glocks and I just don’t like the feel of them in my hand not sure what it is about it. I’m saving for a sti or a limited gun right now. We will see what time brings I guess best of luck to you sir.

So there is no difference in the sight radius between the 4.54" and 5.15" model. The difference is the threaded suppressor added length.

So all told I spent $100 more for the new pistol vs the used, and I got $20 worth of polymer +2 extensions and night sights, and a cooler color. So I think I'm ahead of the game, although I'll sharpie the rear sight dots.

I picked it up last night and stippled it.

This week my Kadet kit arrives....

20180109_222301_2.jpg

Edited by AngelDeVille

On January 11, 2018 at 2:21 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

It will be a long time before such details matter. 

A long time.

Just grab a reliable gun and get to a match and heed the pointers from the better competitors you meet there. 

Yeah, I think we are set for a long time.  When I started the search it seems like a double stack STI or a CZ Shadow 2 is the top of the heap for pistols.

At this point I know we can't outshoot our p-09's.

I shot a video on holsters for the p09