Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Custom Hogue grip

Makicjf

Howdy!

Does anyone have any experience with Hogue custom grips?  I need a grip which fills my hand, as my ability to make a fist has been diminished due to a tendon injury and shortening.  I have one or two good stages, then my grip weakens and my front sight bounces like a rubber  ball from a gumball machine.   I can run several hundred 10mm rounds through my G20 and never get tired.  The wide and thick  G20 grip fills my hand well enough I do not have to close my hand completely to establish a crush grip.  I thought about parking the 627 and shooting my G20 in limited, but I just cant get excited about that.

I am thinking an X frame type wooden grip, ( not rubber with the soft insert as it compresses and allows the gun to move) no finger grooves, which covers the backstrap by 3/8 of an inch, some "traction" on the sides and a big butt to provide tactile guidance to a solid high grip, and well relieved for moon clips.  It would essentially be the G20 grip with out the beaver tail"ish" hump .  If it works on a Tupperware shellshucker, it should work on a 627....I hope!

Anyone have any experience with the custom grips?

Jason

Edited by Makicjf

• 3 weeks later...

Had a long and fruitful conversation with Pat from Hogue.  He encouraged me to try the X-frame grip... and they worked perfectly.  They reduced the distance I had to close my hand enough I was able to keep control of the front sight for 6 stages and a classifier yesterday.  The grip, coupled with a newly worked trigger, lighter springs, a bobbed hammer and an extended pin really helped my hand fatigue.  I'll shoot the x frame for a while and think about a Big butt addition.   A new grip and reworked revolver won't overcome a botched standing reload, though!

Thanks ya'll

Jason

Edited by Makicjf

I was going to suggest the X frame grip when you first posted but you specifically said you didn't want rubber?  

I have large hands and the x frame grip is the way to go if you need a hand filling grip. It works perfectly for me and now I have them on all of my "shooting" revolvers 617/610/627/625/929  so now when I shoot them they all feel the same except for the weight differences.       

I was afraid the rubber would let the revolver move due to compression.  Boy was I wrong!  I love it!  It's going on my 625 and I'm putting tamers on my 6 inch gp 100 and my 7 1/2 inch 454.  They fixed my issues!?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm not alone... having the same exact issue!  I can shoot my G21 all day but can't find a grip large enough to enjoy my 627.  Makicjf, thanks for doing the research. Can you confirm this is what you ended up with? From the Hogue website: S&W K, L, N, X, Z Frame Round Butt Rubber Tamer Conversion Monogrip Black Sku: 19022 $29.95

I am not certain they are the same, but Hogue would know.  I have the X frames on my 625 and 627.  Full covered backstrap, fuller under the webbing of the thumb.   The "tamer" I have from Hogue is for rugers... I actually like the feel of it better than the X frame as its fatter.  I'll find a link to both!

Smith X frames ( fit N frames perfectly)

http://store.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_765464_-1_758003_757843_757837_ProductDisplayErrorView_N

Hogue tamers for GP100/Super redhawk

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1003887559/hogue-tamer-monogrip-grips-ruger-super-redhawk-gp100-rubber-black

I hope that helps.

Jason

Edited by Makicjf

To my (limited) knowledge the X frame will fit X and N  frame only.   I do not know if the Hogue makes a Tamer for N frames, but they do make a tamer for the GP100/Super redhawk.  Both my GP100 and SRH have the Hogue Tamer and I like them more than the X frame grip.   The safest bet is to call Hogue and see if they make a tamer for the N frame.

this is the link from the Hogue page for the Tamer grip.   That will fit a Smith for sure!

Hope that help!https://www.hogueinc.com/grips/smith-wesson/nframe/roundbutt/conversion/rubber

Jason

Edited by Makicjf

7 hours ago, brptrailrider said:

Just to confirm: You are saying that the Hogue tamer for GP100/Super redhawk will fit on a 627 round butt? And, not only that, it is fatter and cheaper? Thanks again!

Those are very different grip frames so the Ruger and S&W grips are not going to be interchangeable.  The X Frame grip that S&W sells will fit the N Frame guns, like a 625, with no problem.  I know this because I have those grips on my 625 and 627.

Took the grips off of my 500 and tried them on my 929 and 617.

I left them on the 929.

A world of difference and I just ordered two sets.

SJC

Edited by jhgtyre
No sales allowed on the main forums