Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.38 "mid" Colt

RevolverJockey

For those who shoot short colt, are a lot of you making uspsa minor to just loads for ICORE? I am going to be loading 158gr bullets and still trying to decide between Specials and Mids. I will be using Starline brass or Fed/RP brass for the two clips I have picked out. I will be holding out for a 5".

160 grain bayou bullet

3.2 grains of VV N320

1.175" oal

chronoed 128 pf out of my 5" during the summer

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm using a 327 5" barrel no comp. It's a little snappier than my 160 gr load but I use the 135's in my 9mm as well and I'm not sure if it want to go 160 in it. The bullets are .356" diameter as well but I keep them all in the head A box of a ipsc target at 20 yards so it's good enough for me and the leading had been negligible

Although, this gun will more than likely turn into a comp'd open revo when I get the cash together for a 627 to use for irons only, but that's a lot of money to squirrel away with trying to pay for travel to outside matches.

Edited by Akkid17

No signs of pressure. No case bulge. No primer flow.

I am currently worked up to 3.0gn of N310 with my 170gn Bear Creek. I have yet to chrono it , however it ran well at my last ICORE match. Didn't notice any difference from my normal Long Colt load or 3.4gn of S1000 with the 170.

I will Chrono 3.0gn of N310 with my 170gn Bear Creek at the earliest available time.

What would be a better powder for the mid colt I'm wanting to go Vit for my revo loads and I use 310 with 45 but was wanting something a little slower for the 38 and can't decide between 320 and 340, any thoughts?

I was also thinking if I went to 320 it would work with the 45 as well but that's not super important.

Edited by Akkid17

• 2 weeks later...

OK. Got the last for now Long Colts cut down to .900...if I had known it was going to be this much work I might have kept with long colts. I have my first 2k rounds cut. It took right at 18 hours to cut and chamfer, the inside and out. I did it with a Lyman case trimmer, drill and an RCBS case prep station. It is messy and my fingers might require therapy to return to normal. My current load is 170gn Bear Creek molly RN, loaded with 3.0gn N310, 1.320" OAL. 122-124pf in a 27-7 and 6.5" 627PC. Here is 1200 cases myself and my son did in 5 hours today.

7ajyge3u.jpg

Edited by Ty Hamby

I wound up using a set of slip joint pliers to hold the brass at the rim once my hands had enough. Left a little mark from the ridges but nothing that got in the way of it case gauging or going in the moonclips. That rcbs case prep station is kind of a bear on the mitts.

Ty-

How do you like the n310? I have a decent bit of it and just picked up a pound of 320 to try out. I'm going with a much lighter bullet though (135 gr.)

Edited by Akkid17

I started using the harbor freight mini chop saw a few weeks ago too. It works great! I can cut a hundred in no time. I used a piece of corian to make my holder, but I like your metal block better lee. I also found that the blades last about 300 cases. A three pack of blades is only $10 at the harbor so pick some up if someone buys the saw. I also found that I can skip deburring.. Just thought them in the rotary tumbler with the stainless steel pins. Nice way to go.. And the hearthco moon clips are like half the price as the ones for starlinebrass. So 'free' brass and half price clips? I got the time:) btw I'm doing short colt 170 grain Billy Bullets (moly) with 3.1 gr of Solo 1000 fired from a 5" barrel 627 - makes power factor easily,

Steve

Steve,

Maybe your are pushing too hard or not hard enough? I am still on my first blade and have well over 1,500 pieces through it. I also got the replacement blade. FYI, I haven't forgotten about you, just busy with other projects in the shop. I actually need to make a checker for myself and hope to do that this week.

Lee

I was going at what I thought was a pretty good speed, light touch, trying to let the saw do the work.. The original blade was still cutting , but it was taking more effort than I thought it should so I replaced it. A new blade in any tool is one of those simple joys in life:)

I've started trimming cases, have around 1000 or so trimmed to length but not deburred. I had problems with the case camming out of the universal holder in my Lyman trimmer with the drill driven cutter. Got the holding fixture made for the Harbor Freight saw and used it last nite to cut cases to rough length to finish with the case trimmer. Tried using the saw again before work this morning and it wouldn't turn on. Had to take it apart and lub the bearing/bushings and it works great. Just need to get the saw mounted back on the base. I was trying to elimniate a stap but for me it looks like a rough cut length with the saw followed by finish trimming is going to give me the best results.

• 1 month later...

I've been cutting em down since 2001 when Bond and I started doing it. With a Lyman Universal Trimmer, Power adapter and a carbide cutter I can do between 200-250 per hour (I hit the blades with water or silicone dry lube every 20 or so to keep it cool and sharp). I am able to keep tolerance at about .001. I cut them then throw em in the tumbler for a few hours to de-burr, any that still have burrs get a quick de-burr with hand tool.

I'm ready to start loading mid-Colt for the first time and need some load suggestions for a 4 inch Model 10.

I have:

158 grain Bear Creek RN

Bullseye

Trail Boss

Titegroup

Clays

HP38

Nobel A1 (!)

Nobel BA9 (!)

WAP (!)

WST

WSF

I've loaded full length .38s with Trail Boss, Bullseye and Titegroup with no problems.

What do I need to watch out for with the shorter case?

What do I need to watch out for with the shorter case?

Probably nothing. Only thing I can think of might be seating the bullet too deep and bulging the case behind the bullet, but it's probably not an issue. I didn't have any issues with that in my mixed brass that I trimmed using 160 Bayou bullets. Just back off from your .38 loads a bit and work up.

• 1 month later...

Just an FYI - I was in our local Harbor Freight and thought I'd look at the mini chop saw RevolverJockey and others are using to cut down brass and found it has been discontinued by Harbor Freight. The HF guy said that some stores may have some old stock, but they didn't.

I cut down some Federal and R-P 38 special cases to 0.90" and loaded 160 grain Lead Round nose GAT bullets over 3.5 grains of Clay Dot with an OAL of 1.330. I ran them over a chronograph yesterday:

In my 5" barreled 627 limited gun 8 shots averaged 843.9 feet per second with a standard deviation of 11.61 fps for an average power factor of 135

In my 6" open gun they averaged 835.9 feet per second with a standard deviation of 27.69 fps for an average power factor of 134.

I didn't shoot any groups but they all landed on the head of a metric target from ~35 yards when shot from a table top. They also shot much cleaner than the similar 38 special loads I've been using.

Any other Midi data out there?

Thanks for posting your results with clay dot.

I have bunch of 160 grain bullets and clay dot was at the top of my list of powders to try.