Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 caliber STI Trojan

bthoefer

Just relieve the corners on the firing pin stop , there are a few procedures to reduce the amount of tension if you have FTF , either compress the springs to weaken them( recommended my Aftec), leaving out a spring is also said to be a way to reduce tension . I've had no need to do either of those in either of my aftecs , they just run.

Has anyone tried the Checkmate (CMI) mags? Any thoughts?

Stay Away from the Checkmates. They flex a lot and drag on both my mag holsters and inside of the gun when loaded up. On that note I have 5 for sale w/ Dawson base pads and grip tape numbers :D

• 2 months later...

I purchased a STI 5.0 Trojan in .40 a couple of weeks ago. I managed some range time today with some different mags. All the mags feed fine with factory length .40 but some did not always loack open when empty. The only mag to lock back everytime when empty were the Chip McCormick power mags in 45 acp.

I purchased a STI 5.0 Trojan in .40 a couple of weeks ago. I managed some range time today with some different mags. All the mags feed fine with factory length .40 but some did not always loack open when empty. The only mag to lock back everytime when empty were the Chip McCormick power mags in 45 acp.

Were you running 8 or 9 round mags?

Does anyone have experience with the Tripp .40 9rd mags. I would really like to find a reliable 9rd mag that runs factory OAL .40 ammo.

I tried the 40 S&W mags and had no reliable success in my gun. Switched to the 10mm and never looked back. My OAL is 1.135.

Has anyone tried the Checkmate (CMI) mags? Any thoughts?

I run 10mm checkmate mags and they run flawlessly in my trojan 40. I have a dawson ice gap magwell on it and bought wilson extended basepads for the mags. I just had to grind down the front of the basepad to make it seat properly. It was a more economical setup than the wilson or tripps and they work. I have a dan wesson 9mm 1911 and a 40 1911 and the mags that came with them look like checkmates. I have 4 or 5 mags and they all work fine. I use cr speed mag holders.

Any reason for 40? I only say this because 40 is very finicky, not only in feeding, but mags are a issue also. Since you don't reload i think 45 might be a better choice. But check out the Dawson ice magwell, ext firing pin,ext mag release. You may want a trigger job. That should do it.

What Phil said, + a .090 fiber front, some good mags and you're ready to rock.

When did you buy the gun. have you tried running Hollow Point ammunition

2 weeks ago , I have shot some of the Winchester 180gr HP bonded bullet ammo with no problems.

Well now I'm just confused. I have tried to run the wilson with HP ammo and no go. My gun will run all day long with RN or TC handloads. I am expecting some Tripp 9 rd mags and will give them a go. It's not very often that I carry the stack but when I do I use the metal form 8 rd they always run. I wonder if my reliability issues have anything to do with the fact that it is an older .40 Trojan. I even fit an EGW mag catch, it helped a bit.

Send the gun to Virgil and let him work his magic! It'll run

I was going to send mine to Virgil, but, thought I'd let STI try to take care of it first.

Since STI did something with the barrel, I can run short stuff out of long, 10mm mags. I think I did about 50 slide-lock reloads the week it came back, and even with garbage ammo that should have made it choke, it ran 100%! :devil:

STI did call me and ask why I didn't send it back to XXXXXX, who supposedly "tuned" it, for extra$$, but, when I called XXXXXX, and described my issue, they told me to send it to STI. :surprise:

Apparently, Cris at STI called XXXXXX and asked them why they didn't take care of it, and one of their Vice Presidents called me to ask me the same question. When I told him that whoever I talked to, on the phone told me to send it to STI, he wanted their name, but, I didn't remember. He said if I had any issues with it after I got it back, to contact him personally and it would be taken care of. I've talked to at least 4 other shooters that have had issues with XXXXXX's "enhanced" pistols, and they have all been told on the phone to send their pistols to STI. :angry2:

I did send it to Virgil some years ago and when I got it back it ran lick a swiss watch. The only issue was that the ramp was recut and when that was done it left the case unsupported by the ramp. This caused some case failure issues as I was running clays at the time. I was running my limited load and had zero issues until the ramp was recut. I know the issues with running clays in major .40. I have since switched powder as I am not running the same platform in limited.

Well one thing I have learned with my FGW Trojan is that first off Bobby told me to send him my gun HE tuned w/ the mags I bought after receiving the gun and he would look at it. First I want to REAFFIRM that all Bobby did to my gun is his FGW package which is Trigger Job, Ambi, FO Front, SVI ITS Trigger, magwell of choice and refinish, he added the two cuts to make mine a Tri-Top. Ok now my gun would run SAMMI length .40 only and I was having nose dives too.

He said box it up w/ the mags and send it to me! This was not an issue he caused but wants his customers to be happy so he offered to fix it before sending it to STI. He called me on the phone when he was tinkering with it and after a few simple questions he took out the barrel and measured the freebore which was slightly tighter than need be to run LONG LOADED .40 so he opened it with his reamer then following a reassembly and function test told me my gun would benefit from a EGW High Mag Catch. Also a quick talk about bullet profiles and my gun was boxed up and shipped back to me.

First off YMMV with what I say but w/ the 185gr Precision Black Bullet I have to load out to bout 1.185" to get reliable functioning. With the Xtreme Plated 180gr HP I have to load bout 1.180" for reliable feeding. This has been found to be true in my limited gun as well. Other ammo will run at factory length some likes 1.120" but since I mainly run the two bullets listed that's what I know works and it was trial and era but that's what I was told to do and it works. Also the MG HP and RDN function perfectly too! Adding the EGW mag catch has helped but it is a tad harder to seat mags.

BTW he said if I had any other issues to contact him again that even though again he only added a few minor things to CUSTOMIZE the Trojan it was not his complete build but he wanted me to be happy with his sale. If the XXXXXX people had told me to send it back to STI I'd been done with that place and found me another smith and dealer period.

SS .40s are the hardest to get to run in my opinion TIFWIW.