Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Alone in the Wilderness

I saw the PBS special about him; truly amazing. And he filmed himself doing day to day chores to survive comfortably in the wild. Much better than the movie about the bozo who killed himself in Alaska Sean Penn just did.

• 1 year later...

I knew he was a better man than I, when I watched the segment where he was ripping boards out of a log by hand to make a door for his cabin. My Grand Dad had saws like that, as he trimmed trees among other things. I've run hand saws like that WHOA! Damned good carpenter too!

Edited by redmanfixit

• 1 year later...

something to note:

On the Wiki page, at the bottom, there is a link to download the PDF of Dick's journal writings...

Look for (in the External links section):

"More Readings From One Man's Wilderness: The Journals of Richard L. Proenneke"

direct link is: here

• 1 year later...

I have a couple of DVDs made from his home movies and a book done from his journels, great stuff. I can only dream of being as resourceful as he. I can only imagine what would cause a man to live such a life of solitude. The book seems to indicate that he did not originally intend to stay 30 years like he did. He did in fact come out some to go visit family (Illinois I think) and to work for his friend that owned/flew the bush plane. I would like to go see his cabin some day. You can not stay in it, as it belongs to the Fed. Gov. as some sort of historic place, but there are camp sights available nearby. From what I can tell from the internet the son of the bush pilot Dick used now owns the flying service and will take you to the cabin. He knew Dick as a youngster and it would be interesting just to talk to him.

• 3 years later...