Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brazos HP Edge vs. DVC Limited

SCinTX

Hi,

I want to transition from minor to major in USPSA Limited.  Currently shooting an unmodified 9mm Edge.

The Brazos tuned HP Edge looks like a great choice.  How should I compare it to a stock DVC Limited?

I'll be using factory ammo for a while.

Many thanks!

The Brazos HP Edge is a really nice limited gun. Having said that, my Brazos HP Edge would only run ammo that was loaded long (1.18-1.20 OAL). When I first got the pistol, I was having feeding issues. I called Bob and he specifically told me to load my ammo to 1.20 So, you might be out of luck trying to run factory ammo in that particular pistol. My DVC Limited likes them a bit long as well but I have never ran anything less than 1.17 OAL through the DVC. I don't know how it would do with factory ammo. 

my brazos hp edge has been 100% perfect with atlanta arms major .40 reloads, and not the long ones.  also perfect with a variety of fed and other factory 180's and some 165.  perfect other than two tuned mags getting rounds below the follower which brazos quickly fixed.

i have the dvc open and suspect you'd be pretty happy with the dvc limited also.  and also check out all the CK options.

Don't think you can go wrong with either. I have and shot a DVC last year and had no issues with it at all. Have also shot a Brazos gun and would have no trouble purchasing one they've worked on. I'd lean towards the DVC between the two because of the reduced grip and I like the looks. I realize that's a personal thing and a grip can be added to the Brazos.

Should I expect any meaningful difference in recoil between the two?  I'm new to .40, having spent all my time shooting 9mm.  

It seems the tradeoffs might be:

Brazos HP Edge:

-  better trigger

-  assured fit and finish

DVC Limited:

-  a lighter slide and better grip 

All things being equal, I think I'd prefer a gun that Brazos has gone over.  But if there is a meaningful difference in recoil, I'd probably opt for the DVC.  

I appreciate your thoughts.  

47 minutes ago, SCinTX said:

Would I need to replate after slide cuts?  Thanks.

If you get the Edge in hard chrome its not as easy to cut the slide.  The hard chrome is so hard that some guys will charge more to cut the slide because its brutal on their tooling.  Also (correct me if I'm wrong) you can't touch up hard chrome like you can bluing or some other finishes.  

After the disaster of dealing with STI and their horrible CS, I will not buy another product from them.  My DVC was broke out of the box and they response was unacceptable.  Having said that, I agree the grip on the DVC is nice.  I would tell you to either go the Brazos route or save up for a full custom.

First the wrong gun was sent from STI direct to my FFL.  Then when the right one showed up, the entire back of the frame, where the web of your hand goes, was never finished machining along with the grip and thumb safeties not fitting.

As much as I know all that could be fixed, it was those issues combined with the wasy I was treated by CS.

Adam

Edited by galt11

On 2/18/2017 at 5:15 PM, Foxj66 said:

Your budget is up there enough look at a CK arms the 3 I have looked at have been on par with my cheely and much nicer than the DVC I had and I thought the dvc was nicer than a buddies Brazos edge

Thanks!  The CKs look nice.  But for a few hundred more, I can get a stock Akai.  Is an Akai substantially better?  It has a stroked recoil system.

I saw a used 6" Benny Hill gun for sale, too.  I don't see those at club matches.  I'd appreciate your opinion on these choice!  Thank you very much.

I'd got with Brazos any day of the week.  Take a look at the description of what is done by Brazos...

"As a part of the tuning package, Bob completely breaks down the gun and examines each part to check for optimal fit and function. He fixes any problems noted during this inspection or returns the gun to STI.   He then does a complete trigger job setting the trigger to break at a clean, crisp 3 lbs.  (or heavier if you prefer).  As a part of the trigger job, he replaces the sear spring and mainspring (if needed), polishes the internal parts, recuts the primary and secondary sear angles (to properly allow for a lower trigger pull), squares up and polishes the hammer hooks, and adjusts the overtravel and pre-travel.  Much more than an adjustment, this is a complete refit of the trigger components which will last a long time. He also tunes/cuts/polishes the extractor, ejector, and feed ramp to the same specs as on our custom guns (that are known for their reliability).   Finally, he tests fires the gun using our test ammo to make sure it functions reliably and sights it in to hit point of aim at 25 yards."   

You will be paying ~$500 to perform these actions which are recommended for any 2011, IMHO.  STI's factory direct have a very hit or miss reputation, I'd rather let a highly skilled smith make a thorough review of the gun before it got to me.  You're putting down a big ol' chunk of cash for these, for a small premium you can get a tuned factory gun or semi-custom gun that should be 100% ready to go.

Benny is Triangle Shooting in Corpus, he is a helluva builder, a good dude, and will take care of you even buying second hand.

Thanks, everyone, for your great and very helpful input.  I ordered a CK Arms Hardcore Limited gun, in .40, with Silver frame, slide and metal grips.  The discussion in this thread opened up many new ideas to consider in my selection process, including looking at CK.   Many thanks!

14 hours ago, SCinTX said:

Thanks!  The CKs look nice.  But for a few hundred more, I can get a stock Akai.  Is an Akai substantially better?  It has a stroked recoil system.

I saw a used 6" Benny Hill gun for sale, too.  I don't see those at club matches.  I'd appreciate your opinion on these choice!  Thank you very much.

I dont have have any experience with the others.