Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cheap hand guard options?

packeagle

I'm new to the 3 gun world. I don't have much experience with working on the AR-15 platform. I am looking to get into 3 gun with my M&P 15 Sport. I have a Vortex Prism on the way and want to eliminate or shave down the A2 FSB and put a cheap free float hand guard. Looking at the Double Star Rifle Length Free Float as a cheaper option. Does anyone know if a gas block will fit under this? I'm open to suggestions on free float rails and hand guards under $100 as well.

Also, shave down the FSB or buy a low profile gas block? Seems like shaving down the FSB will take some work (read margin for error), but so will dimpling the barrel for the gas block. Shaved FSB is cheaper. 

That EMR V0-E looks to be right up my ally. For the extra money I get the QD sling socket and the ability to add a front sight if needed. I've looked into their rails in the past but I didn't want to put out $160-170 dollars for a rail on a $400 AR. This V0-E must be newer.

Edited by packeagle

I have a couple knurled aluminum tube handguards and they feel and function great.    So the bang for the buck is high and the double star looks nice.  I also like the Nordic components NC-1 handguards a lot - very durable, well made, easy to install, and priced well.  Not super heavy, but not ultra light either.   

Ladies and Gentleman,  I hate to give up my sources so easily , but new shooters need not spend the amounts of money that I have over the years.  

Chandler Hardwoods is where you need to be looking.  Small diameter handguards and gas blocks, great folks to deal with, and the handguard and gas block will be less than $80 to $90.   They are a little tough on the shipping , but it is US Priority mail.  I have 4 or 5 of the handguards , from my back up rifle to my coyote gun.

Go to the Chandler Hardwoods site and check out the prices.  You will be saving your money for more ammo.

Edited by troupe

6 hours ago, troupe said:

Ladies and Gentleman,  I hate to give up my sources so easily , but new shooters need not spend the amounts of money that I have over the years.  

Chandler Hardwoods is where you need to be looking.  Small diameter handguards and gas blocks, great folks to deal with, and the handguard and gas block will be less than $80 to $90.   They are a little tough on the shipping , but it is US Priority mail.  I have 4 or 5 of the handguards , from my back up rifle to my coyote gun.

Go to the Chandler Hardwoods site and check out the prices.  You will be saving your money for more ammo.

I have one of those handguards, it's garbage. It will end up in the trash someday.

Ended up getting the NC-1. Found it for $68 to my door and I can add rail sections down the road if I need it. Figured having that option was worth a bit more than the double star. Nordic seems like a reputable company in the sport. Look forward to installing it and running the M&P until I feel I need to upgrade. Honestly, I'm impressed with the budget rifle though.

Edited by packeagle

funny thing with some of the cheap handguards-  You'll find keymod turned both directions on a lot of the Chinese rails.  Balls go to the rear by actual spec, but because they copy one side from US made products, and then mirror it, you'll see if balls front on one side and balls rear on the other.  (By balls, I'm referring to the circular part.  I'm not a keymod fan and it reminds me of anatomy.)

9 hours ago, TonytheTiger said:

I have one of those handguards, it's garbage. It will end up in the trash someday.

Interesting...I had heard pretty good things about those Matrix handguards over on another forum and the reviews on JoeBob's are pretty solid.

Was considering using one for a semi budget 3gun upper build myself.

Same here, my 5 handguards are not going into the trash.  They have done what was asked and held up well.  If I want a small diameter, I will get more from Chandler.  Matter of fact, I should be getting a 13" in the mail today for my PCC.  Just trying to help.  

13 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

Interesting...I had heard pretty good things about those Matrix handguards over on another forum and the reviews on JoeBob's are pretty solid.

Was considering using one for a semi budget 3gun upper build myself.

I guess if you like sharp edges, purple anodizing, very thin barrel nuts and having to grind a low profile gas block to fit inside the minimally machined gas block/gas tube channel, you might consider them pretty solid. I thought it was alright for the money when I first got it but now I hate it a little more every time I see it.

Mine is not purple,  nor sharp edged.  The anodizing is black on all of mine. The gas blocks they sell fit perfectly and they are not to expensive. All of the locks face the right way.  You must have got a bad one.  If you got it from Chandler Hardwoods, they would have exchanged it with out a problem.   Are they super heavy duty handguards, no.  But you are not paying for that.

Hello: My 13" Matrix handguard is great on my AR 9mm build. It is light weight and is strong enough for a PCC game gun. I will be using some more of these on my other PCC's as well. I like Nordic handguards as well as Taccom for non gas block PCC's. I like the smaller diameter of all of these hand guards. The Matrix I did add some Ergo grip rail covers and Bravo company key mod covers to cover up the holes. For less than $100 these are all great values. Thanks, Eric

One of my 9mm Ar rocks a Matrix Arms as well. I actually prefer it to my Kaw Valley Precision Konza due to its mounting. This weekend shooting a match others have commented on how nice it looks and asked who made it. I think for the money it is a very nice option.