Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So I just bought a stock2

Nathanb

Agreed. I think it may eliminate the firing pin tear drop too. That is usually caused by the pin being in contact with the primer as it's extracted. Of course it could mean my fpb is dragging too. I guess I've got some tear down to do on my slide. 

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, Nathanb said:

So for the first time since I bought it I actually got to get it outside and get some rounds down range. 200 rounds later it was flawless except one failure to feed which I believe was my thumb on the slide. I did see something of concern though. 

1DE480D1-5A69-4F13-AC30-D4559B365D17_zps

these made 134 power factor in my glock 34. The primers from all of them look like this the firing pin has a very distinctive mark on the primers and they are flat. Any idea what could be causing this?  Is it anything to worry about? 

I'm running the pd firing pin, spring and 13 lb hammer spring for reference. I don't know if I have an issue since these are federal primers or what but I've always been. Told flat primers is a sign of over pressure 

My primers look like the one in the Winchester brass at the top left of your picture. Not flat but have a well defined/raised ring around the dimple made by the firing pin. Is this cause for concern or normal for these guns?

Good deal. I'm very new to these and hammer guns in general, 228 rounds through the Tanfo so far. My Stock 2 does have a much shorter chamber than my Glocks but I have also switched bullet profile to accommodate that. The load that I have been using is 147gr SNS flat point with 3.0gr N320 at 1.100" OAL. This is shorter than anything I've ever loaded so I have been a little on edge about overpressure. 

So I tore the slide down. No funny wear. All lugs intact. Firing pin isn't sticking no peening or contact on the firing pin block no damage to the pin. Nothing hanging up. I'm going to switch the recoil spring back out to stock and take the 10lb with me. If that doesn't fix it I'm at a lost. It would have to be a headspace issue but with 9mm head spacing on the rim I'm stumped. I may not even worry about it 

Coming from mostly AR shooting in the past... I don't worry about it until my gun jams from a blown out primer ROFL.

Is it range brass that may be getting to the limit of usage cycles?

Glock chambers are pretty... generous... perhaps you need to back down the load a bit.

1 hour ago, Nathanb said:

So I tore the slide down. No funny wear. All lugs intact. Firing pin isn't sticking no peening or contact on the firing pin block no damage to the pin. Nothing hanging up. I'm going to switch the recoil spring back out to stock and take the 10lb with me. If that doesn't fix it I'm at a lost. It would have to be a headspace issue but with 9mm head spacing on the rim I'm stumped. I may not even worry about it 

Do you have any non-Federal primers? I'm curious, because CCI or Winchester might look completely normal.

2 hours ago, MissionaryMike said:

You make PF w/ just 3.0 grains of N320?  I used to run 3.2 grains w/ BBI 147 flat points @ 1.09". 

So far so good, I couldn't beleive it either. I've only chrono'd 10 rounds but they averaged 127.2 PF. I will be loading some at 3.1gr to chrono this weekend for a little added insurance. In my experience N320 has always been faster when it's cold, and it was cold last weekend. 

127.2 isn't 'making power factor'

Well, technically it is, but it's also "someday you're shooting a Major for no score" ammo. Which you obviously seem to know. ;)

Ask any seasoned production shooter what their load is, and everyone is going to reply with 130 PF or higher.

I like mine around 133-135. Particularly with heavy bullets a pinch more velocity is often more accurate, and it cycles the gun a bit more briskly. After all, the guy with the 125.02 PF ammo isn't usually the champion...

... but the champ is *always* a guy whose gun ran 100% perfectly.

You won't notice a difference in split times between 127 and 132 PF ammo, anyway.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I agree.  my pet loads out 135gr bullet at just under 1000fps.

The math says chrono 8, take the average speed  and subtract  2x the standard deviation.  if that is above 125, you stand a very little chance of missing PF. 

I may even start drilling with hotter loads to reinforce tighter grip.

I don't think I can back mine off anymore and safely make power factor. I'll chronicle it this weekend to see but I'm guessing it's right around 130pf. I'm going to pick up some winchesters this week as wel to try them too

Well since I've never even heard of Maxam brand powders, and neither have most of us here, I don't think you'll get a lot of help on that.

In a strictly theoretical manner, it'd be interesting to see what a shift to a different primer and/or powder would do to the way your casings look.

On 1/3/2017 at 11:21 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

Mine is 5lb 8.9oz, so ours match. (That's roughly 5.5ish pounds)

IMO, you're done.

It's time for us both to learn to shoot the sucker like a boss. The difference between my DA pull and @ryridesmotox's is a quarter of a pound.

You can't feel that. Put the dremel down and load some ammo.

EDIT: damn. Just now noticed you're running less hammer spring. Meh. Shoot thing a bunch them look for where it might be rubbing!

You said a 5.5lb trigger was enough w/ the 12lb spring.  I didn't believe you.  I finally got my #s down a little more...

IMG_1789.PNGIMG_1790.PNG

11 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Well since I've never even heard of Maxam brand powders, and neither have most of us here, I don't think you'll get a lot of help on that.

In a strictly theoretical manner, it'd be interesting to see what a shift to a different primer and/or powder would do to the way your casings look.

I've got plenty of other powders. This is powder I found when I first got into reloading and the market was scarce. I can always start in on my stash of n320 too. There is a little data available for it on this forum for it and it's always worked well. I've loaded well

over 5000 rounds with it so I'd expect pressure signs from it before now. Especially out of a suppressed mpx. I've been doing a ton of reading and it doesn't seem like it may be an issue with pressure. I'll even try some different primers. 

Maybe the wolf primers will make an appearance

1 hour ago, MissionaryMike said:

You said a 5.5lb trigger was enough w/ the 12lb spring.  I didn't believe you.  I finally got my #s down a little more...

IMG_1789.PNGIMG_1790.PNG

My DA is the same as yours with a 12# PD spring. 

SA is 2lb 10 oz.  How'd you get yours down that low?