Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder choice for 105-127 grain 9mm

michael.flitcraft

I'm currently using W231 because that's what I've had for a few years.  Running down to the last pound or two, and am looking for suggestions for a powder.

Bullets are 127 grain and 105 grain coated cast bullets loaded into a Beretta 92.  I'm not looking for major, just a versatile powder that burns relatively cleanish with little smoke.  May start loading for .38 special this year too, so if a powder runs good for both that would be a golden ticket.

Local matches and practice at the range.  I don't have a chrony, so I can't provide desired speeds.  I don't care much about the recoil aspect (it's coming out of a full size Beretta), just accuracy, and if possible lack of smoke.  I'm still on my original supply of powder from years ago, and haven't experimented with other powders since I haven't ran out yet.

5 minutes ago, hceuterpe said:

You should get a chrono:P

Without a chrono, you may end up shooting PF 115 and have trouble knocking down steel,

or, worse, end up with PF 140 and more recoil than you need.

A Chrony costs $70 (less than 4 lbs of powder).

BTW, I love WW231 (also called HP38) - still have a few pounds.    :) 

Stock up on HP-38 while it's available. Right now I am seeing it everywhere.  I use WSF for 147 gr but just started loading 231/HP-38 for Prec Delta 124 JHP and love it.

Edited by JLeeCZ