Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How much red dot bounce?

straightravage

How much bounce is ok in the glass? I have a DVC open .38 SC. It's loaded with 9.6gr of 3N38 pushing a 124gr MG JHP with 1.235 oal.

I went to sight in the optic and it was pretty on after unsung a bore sight laser. Just a little tweaking.

When I shot, the dot stayed in the glass. It just bounced all the way to the top of the glass.

Is that normal? Or is it good enough? If I put more powder and increase the oal, will it flatten the gun a little more?

You can make pretty much anything work. I wouldn't try to make the gun flatter by changing your load, try paying more attention to the fundamentals of your grip and stance. It is very easy to become lazy behind the gun when you shoot open.

You can make pretty much anything work. I wouldn't try to make the gun flatter by changing your load, try paying more attention to the fundamentals of your grip and stance. It is very easy to become lazy behind the gun when you shoot open.

Listen to this advice. Jake knows what he's talking about and I've seen him shoot!

+1 also pay attention to your grip I've known people jump the conclusion his dot is unpredictable!

Great advice. I have a new DVC in 38S using 8.4gr of HS6 @ 1.24 OAL with 125gr JHP. I shot it to chrono and some practice rounds to sight in and check dot movement. Was not really very happy. Shot a match Sunday where I concentrated on fundamentals and grip and realized it was me not the load or gun. Good grip--dot calmed down it I shot well and fast.

gerritm

Best advice in ages

I'm not an expert, but I've reached several conclusions. First, flatness is overrated. I thought flat would help my splits. After much experimentation, I found a load that was dead flat. It was 188PF, obnoxiously loud and hard on the hands and gun. Worse, when I tightened my grip more than normal, as often happens unconsciously during competitions, the dot actually dropped. Not good.

After a lot more trial and error, I developed two 172PF loads that worked the comp and the gun. The slower powder felt like cheating. The recoil was minimal and the muzzle rose less. My buddies watched and filmed me shooting both loads. They unanimously recommended I use the slower powder load.

After shooting each a bunch more, I decided to go with the faster powder. Why? Even though it had more felt recoil and the muzzle rose a little more, the dot was better behaved. It rose straight up and returned to center. It didn't wiggle around and go off to the right like the slow powder load. It also felt like the action was quicker. I was a lot more consistent with it and a lot more accurate with quick second shots. I grip it just like when I shoot Limited. In fact, that's just what it feels like, except softer on the hands and louder.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Are you running a thumb rest as well? The best thing to flatten a gun out is ditch the thumb rest and learn a solid grip. You will be amazed.

100% agree.. lot of people comment on how flat my open and limited guns shoot for me. I have used a unbroken ( thumb under the safty) isometric tension grip my whole life.

Are you running a thumb rest as well? The best thing to flatten a gun out is ditch the thumb rest and learn a solid grip. You will be amazed.

I dunno, I use a thumb rest and I like it mostly because it gives me another easily repeatable point of contact with the gun which helps me with consistency. You can certainly have a solid grip with using a thumb rest.

watching really good shooters you will think their guns are magic. I watched a top guy with a 9mm single stack the other day from a great side on vantage point and the thing was so flat and barely moved in recoil at all. just like another guy I shoot with in open. His gun looks to be just sitting there in his hand with the slide moving back and forth. it's all in the grip not the gun. sure both are well tuned guns with good loads but the point is it's their control over the gun that makes it sit flat.

an 'average' person has somewhere between 30-40kg of grip strength in their strong hand. I've done basically no grip training (though I've just started) but a fair bit of shooting and mine is just over 50kg. The guys who shoot and whose guns seem to be not moving at all have 70+kg in each hand. What that means is he can grip the gun with say 80% of his max force and still exert 56kg on it. I can't grip it that hard even choking the shit out of it, so for me to control it like those guys I either need to grip it at my max (not practical) or accept that I can't hold on as tight. 80% of my max grip is only 44kg. Some random shooters I tested had grip strength as low as 30kg. most were around the same as me say 50-55kg.

Since I did this test a few weeks ago with my grip dyno I've now started on a very light regimen of grip strength training using the CoC zenith grippers. I haven't retested my 1RM/max strength yet but I have noticed I can make it through my reps much more easily even after only a few weeks.

My advice would be first of all ensure you have a 'proper', repeatable, consistent grip that uses as much of the weak hand on the gun as possible. thumb rest or not is personal preference. I use and like them but I'm not driving the gun with it. it's just an index another point for my grip.

Once you've established a good solid grip, then start some light grip training. don't over do it. and consider a balanced strengthening regime not just hand exercises. all things in balance. :)

I agree with a lot of this, disagree about ditching the thumb rest. Talk to Eric Grauffel or Manny if you want advice on that. It's all about how you use it.

Edited by Whoops!