Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SP-01 Sight Choices

ck1

I run a .125 rear and a Dawson .100 front on an M&P 9L.

When jumping ship from the Glock (which had non-FO Sevignys on it which I loved) I decided to try a fiber-front. Didn't like it.

Cut the fiber and replace it with a short piece of black plastic broom-bristle from a broom you no longer think fondly of. Boom. Black fiber insert. Back to a Black front sight.

A .100 and a .125 rear look a LOT like a .115 and a .150 did with the Sevigny competitions - I want my front about half the width of the rear notch when presented to the target. The .100 front blade just hides less of your distant targets than the fatter Glock post did.

Oh, I'm running Dawson's front and rear on the M&P

Edited by MemphisMechanic

• 2 weeks later...

My front sight showed up from Dawson Precision... and it's excellent.

I'm running the Cz-Custom's Tactical Rear with it, so now my "light-bar-to-front-blade-width ratio" is real close to what I've been using in the past on my Glocks running the excellent Sevigny competition sights. Now my sights are a .125" wide rear-notch paired to a .090" wide front-blade (.170" height) which ratio-wise looks just about identical to the Sevigny's .150" rear-notch width and .115" wide front, similar looking but a narrower overall "window".

FWIW, I ran the CZC .125" wide front for a couple weeks with the CZC Tac rear while waiting for the Dawson sight to show up, and it's pretty good, although I had to get used to the skinny light-bars, I was shooting pretty well with it (no matches with this particular set-up though).

That said, with the Dawson .090" installed, it's just no contest... WAY FASTER. If I had to guess by what percentage it's faster by, I'd say maybe 300% faster, it's like I just got better/faster eyes. So much better, no comparison.

Here's a crappy pic, not really "correct proportion" but you can get the idea, best I could manage with an iphone4 (you wouldn't believe how many tries it took to even get this crappy one, as the iphone doesn't want to focus on the front blade when held in correct alignment):ba57b0ea.jpg

P.S.: I had to special order this one to be plain-black serrated as I do not like FO's and that's all they had offered on their site, it took 4 weeks and it wasn't any more expensive than an "in-stock" plain-black sight ($30 including shipping). FYI if you decide to order one, the Dawson sight comes with a minuscule set-screw that goes from the top to the bottom (no front sight pin), I still had my CZ front-sight-drill-bit and my sight-pin was still in good shape so I decided to pin it as CZ-normal (good thing too, as I found it's unbelievably easy to strip that minuscule set-screw).

Cool looking side profile:d33ad8d6.jpg

Edited by ck1

that looks nice...my next CZ, I will have to give those a try.

right now, I am using a TS blank milled to .100 and serrated which I like very much.

Think you'll dig it, .100" is already better than .125" though, and who knows, maybe you'll end up going back to that, it's being able to go thinner and have more options that is nice, even if it's just to try out. The front blade being the same width as the rear notch dates back to guys swearing by the Weaver stance and using a push-pull teacup grip, times change, things get figured out, daylight around the front blade is good.

IMO the only thing lacking in the CZ was the sights, and that just happens to matter to me more than just about anything else... I'm psyched now.

The only stone unturned is if the narrower "window" will be slower than with the .150" notch/.115" blade... I'm thinking it will be a bit, but also think it may make up for it by producing lots of A's and 0's, I may try the "wider" set-up out at some point if I find I'm losing too much quickness but so far I'm feeling good about the new set-up.

Edited by ck1

My front sight showed up from Dawson Precision... and it's excellent.

I'm running the Cz-Custom's Tactical Rear with it, so now my "light-bar-to-front-blade-width ratio" is real close to what I've been using in the past on my Glocks running the excellent Sevigny competition sights. Now my sights are a .125" wide rear-notch paired to a .090" wide front-blade (.170" height) which ratio-wise looks just about identical to the Sevigny's .150" rear-notch width and .115" wide front, similar looking but a narrower overall "window".

FWIW, I ran the CZC .125" wide front for a couple weeks with the CZC Tac rear while waiting for the Dawson sight to show up, and it's pretty good, although I had to get used to the skinny light-bars, I was shooting pretty well with it (no matches with this particular set-up though).

That said, with the Dawson .090" installed, it's just no contest... WAY FASTER. If I had to guess by what percentage it's faster by, I'd say maybe 300% faster, it's like I just got better/faster eyes. So much better, no comparison.

Here's a crappy pic, not really "correct proportion" but you can get the idea, best I could manage with an iphone4 (you wouldn't believe how many tries it took to even get this crappy one, as the iphone doesn't want to focus on the front blade when held in correct alignment):ba57b0ea.jpg

P.S.: I had to special order this one to be plain-black serrated as I do not like FO's and that's all they had offered on their site, it took 4 weeks and it wasn't any more expensive than an "in-stock" plain-black sight ($30 including shipping). FYI if you decide to order one, the Dawson sight comes with a minuscule set-screw that goes from the top to the bottom (no front sight pin), I still had my CZ front-sight-drill-bit and my sight-pin was still in good shape so I decided to pin it as CZ-normal (good thing too, as I found it's unbelievably easy to strip that minuscule set-screw).

Cool looking side profile:d33ad8d6.jpg

Great post ck1! I was thinking of doing the same with my CZs and since you already have, I'm going to place my order on Monday.

^^^ Awesome, glad to help. If you need to do a special order to get a serrated black one just give 'em a call (I spoke to Cathy and she rules, so nice to be treated to such good customer service), the FO's are on the site. I guessed and went with a .170" height and seem to be hitting at the top of the front blade at 7-15 yards, slight 6 o'clock at 25 (.170" + .090" for the dovetail = about 6.6mm give or take, CZC recommends a 6.5mm so seems I guessed pretty much right).

Edited by ck1

One more + plug for Dawson. They recently installed a 0.095" front, with fiber, on my Shadow Target. They actually custom-made the sight to match the height of my OEM seight -- still the same price of $39. And, I just purchased a couple more on behalf of Wardog. Customer service has been superb.

Edited by justaute

Glad Dawson is taking care of you. I wish that CZ would run a more standard cut for their sights (Novak for instance). I've broken two of the competition rear sights and seen another competitor break one at a match. They seem to break in half at the point the sight fits into the dovetail and hangs above the rear of the slide. It's a bit bothersome...

Glad Dawson is taking care of you. I wish that CZ would run a more standard cut for their sights (Novak for instance). I've broken two of the competition rear sights and seen another competitor break one at a match. They seem to break in half at the point the sight fits into the dovetail and hangs above the rear of the slide. It's a bit bothersome...

I've had one break as well at the same spot of the rear sight as well as witnessed another USPSA shooter (local GM) have his break, but you should be able to get some help from CZcustom.com or where ever you purchased it. There was a bad batch that were made. I haven't had any trouble since. Sounds like you found a few of them.

• 4 months later...