Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Troy Battlerails

usp45ss

just went to vtacs website cause I hadn't heard about the 15" version... and it's showing them all except the 7 and 9" as discontinued? (well it says the battlerail "FDE" are discontinued, what's FDE?)

-rvb

I believe they are phasing out the Extreme rails for the newer Alpha rails. These use a different method of attachment to the barrel nut.

I have been thinking about switching to a Troy handguard for a long time. Most of these postive comments is making me want to switch sooner lol. I really like that Coyote Tactical Fore End Wrap though. Going to have to put it on my list of things to get after I purchase my Troy.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been looking at the 15" version of these. Anyone have any experience getting one to fit over a JP low profile gas block?

I have the 13" Troy version over a PRI low profile adjustable gas block. It works fine but you will either need to remove the tube or drill a hole through it to access the adjustment, as it does not aline itself with the existing holes. I will try to remember to take pictures.

I have been looking at the 15" version of these. Anyone have any experience getting one to fit over a JP low profile gas block?

I believe the 15s have been discontinued. I was looking for one with no luck

I believe the 15s have been discontinued. I was looking for one with no luck

You can get the 15" "Alpha Rail" (click on the link below) which is the replacement for the TRX Extreme wink.gif

As posted above ......

** Troy is upgrading the TRX Extreme to the Alpha Rail. Within the next 60 days, previous TRX Extreme purchases will be shipped with the upgraded Alpha Rail. The TRX Extreme rail will no longer be available for purchase. **

http://troyind.com/%...%80%B3-no-sight

Edited by sbpt1911

I ordered the 15" Alpha rail over a month ago from Troy. Troy is now shipping part of my order w/o the rail. Can't get info on what is the problem. At least they haven't charged my card for the rail.

That is something I have been researching and the only answer I found by someone I would trust (I think it was Trapr?) was that the gas block would fit but you can't tighten the block in place before twisting/locking the rail in place and you have to drill a hole in the handguard to tighten the screws on the gas block.

Sounded like too much of a hassle for me because I don't have the tools to do the job so I ordered the XL JP handguard from Shootersconnection.

CM

Here is what my research and field work has yielded:

JP Low Profile gas block - new and old design do not fit. The new design is close, but the clamp screws touch and do not allow the barrel to flex down. You could not get to the adjustment screw without removing the handguard. This sucks because I really like the JP blocks. It appears that no clamp style adjustable gas block will work.

Edited by prreed10

I ordered the 15" Alpha rail over a month ago from Troy. Troy is now shipping part of my order w/o the rail. Can't get info on what is the problem. At least they haven't charged my card for the rail.

Update from Troy: backordered until 3/23/12.

I have a Troy TRX over my former front sight assembly grinded down. I quite like the rail. It's nice and thin allowing me a good grip. The only thing I don't like about it is the way it attatches to the barrel nut. If you overtighten it, it looks like it can crack the rail. No bueno.

And I don't know much about the different gas blocks, but as long as you dont mess with the area where the gas tube fits in, you should be able to take a dremel or grinder and trim it down no?

Here is what my research and field work has yielded:

JP Low Profile gas block - new and old design do not fit. The new design is close, but the clamp screws touch and do not allow the barrel to flex down. You could not get to the adjustment screw without removing the handguard. This sucks because I really like the JP blocks. It appears that no clamp style adjustable gas block will work.

Good news, guys.

The newest JP JPGS-5S .750" low-profile adjustable gas block DOES fit under a Troy TRX Extreme Battlerail (and thereby should also fit under the Alpha Battlerail).

These are photos of my 16" midlength upper with a 15" TRX Extreme. Note that there is plenty of room around the JP adjustable gas block, and this setup is very much a free-floating barrel. There is NOT enough room to install the internal metal backing piece for the removable rail sections, however, without grinding/sanding, as there is just over 1/16" of clearance between the bottom of the gas block and the tops of the semi-circular ribs on the inside of the TRX Extreme. One good workaround would be to replace the backing piece with smaller pieces (possibly regular hex nuts or the Troy-made oval backing pieces from the QD mount in the photo or cut the backing piece into smaller pieces) to make room for the gas block.

post-23598-0-12329400-1332298976_thumb.j

post-23598-0-78676700-1332298989_thumb.j

post-23598-0-38063400-1332299001_thumb.j

post-23598-0-34194300-1332299011_thumb.j

post-23598-0-57429500-1332299042_thumb.j

Thus, we finally have a clamp-style adjustable gas block that fits under even one of the thinnest of rails. NOTE: I should add that the gas adjustment set screw happens to be exactly between two of the TRX Extreme's holes, meaning it is completely unreachable without either drilling a small hole or removing the rail system.

Edited by dchang0

The new design is close, but the clamp screws touch and do not allow the barrel to flex down.

Oh, additional info: yes, if you press down on the barrel, the Torx screws' heads will touch the inside of the TRX Extreme. Ordinarily with the barrel at rest, there is a small gap of about 1/64" just at the corner of the head. There are two ways to solve this problem: file off the corner of the Torx screws where they are closest to the inside rib of the TRX Extreme, OR you can simply replace the Torx screws with flat-head Philips 6-32 x 1/2" screws (see pic--you can see both approaches).

post-23598-0-65384500-1332701181_thumb.j

Either approach gives the gas block plenty of clearance where the tips of the screw heads won't touch the inside of the TRX Extreme when you push down on the barrel. The flat-head screws solution allows me to push the muzzle over 1/8" down with plenty of clearance between gas block and inside of rail.

Why did I choose flat heads? Well, pan, oval, and button head screws are too wide for the 0.255" wide recesses in the gas block. I could've drilled out a little cone into each hole for the flat head to fit flush, but it isn't necessary with Loctite securing the screws.

Edited by dchang0

I've just taken delivery of a 15" Troy and 15" Troy VTAC hand guard (both are the new Alpha versions) and I can tell you the new attachment system is super nice compared to the old clamp. I still can't wrap my head around how it get them so tight on the factory barrel nuts but they are really nice and perfectly straight. My old ones were always canted off some at the end so I had to dial in a bunch of windage for the guns with iron sights.

And for those that care... At least in the 15" versions the Troy VTAC is 1.2oz heavier than the normal Troy rail because of the increased amount of holes in the normal version. Both of the ones I'm talking about are the new Alpha mounting system.

Update from Troy: backordered until 3/23/12.

MidwayUSA has then in stock if you didn't get them yet. Rainier Arms also has them.

Got both of mine last week and got them installed. The standard Troy Alpha went on my 18" gun and the VTAC version went on the 16". They are very impressive and I don't think I'll have an upper without the 15" hand guards. The extra length is real nice.

417f157b-c689-2da7.jpg

417f157b-c69f-22a2.jpg

417f157b-c6b8-0eab.jpg

Edited by Fried Chicken Blowout

Got both of mine last week and got them installed. The standard Troy Alpha went on my 18" gun and the VTAC version went on the 16". They are very impressive and I don't think I'll have an upper without the 15" hand guards. The extra length is real nice.

417f157b-c689-2da7.jpg

417f157b-c69f-22a2.jpg

417f157b-c6b8-0eab.jpg

man that looks like a nice running rifle