Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun Inventory Software

So this weekend I took pictures of most of my firearms and now would like to create a database with date purchased, price paid, serial numbers, photos, paperwork etc.

I know there are several free software options on the web.

What are some of you folks using.

Thanks.

Paul

Following the KISS rule. I would seriously consider using Excel (not a "database"). It is straight forward and linear/sortable/searchable.

Databases get funky pretty quickly unless you are a DBA. There is a DB called Filemaker Pro. This came from the Mac world but is also PC friendly. It is a database that isn't a database...it is a flat file (think Excel) with a warm and fuzzy user interface.

Don't even think about Access. Unless you really don't like shooting and want to become a database guy..and then you still don't want Access. I've used it a bunch and still hate it.

Go with Excel.

My $.02

Good luck...

Ps there are some hard core DB guys here...maybe they have a DB worked out already...I'd still use excel...just me though.

Excel is great for this sort of stuff. It really functions as a limited database, and has 99% of all the functions you'd want available.

And Excel 2007 doesn't have that pesky 64K row limit (per sheet), they've raised it to 1M, so it can probably accommodate what you need. :)

It can be a little expensive. You might check out Star Office or another open source.. but some sort of spreadsheet software will get you everything you need.

I have a couple of Excel "programs" that I've picked up along the way.

Reloading Calculator

1. Calculates price per round, 50, 100.... based on the cost of components.

2. Calculates how much powder to load X amount of rounds.

3. Calculates time to payback on a new reloader and accessories.

4. Print box labels or reloading slips with current load data.

Gun/Shooting Log

1. Tracks guns with columns for serial, date of purchase, date of sale, who did the ffl, etc

2. Tracks rounds shot per gun

3. Track reloading data

Reloading.zip

Gun Log.zip