Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Meopta

GIO

All illuminated just like the first generation model. The "bright" bits are the dot, left and right lines, and the three chevrons. Same industry-leading brightness as the first gen, as near as I could tell in the convention center :)

Funny how Meopta can get it right, and everyone else (with the exception of Swo and their crappy reticles) can't pull their head out long enough to figure it out for themselves. I was amazed at looking through scope after scope in the four figure range with crap illumination...well, except for the Countersniper scope that was much like looking through a soda straw with a fuzzy reticule and crap illumination (great ad copy though :D )

Alex

Talked to them at their booth quite a bit. Absolutely unmatched in their ambition to listen to suggestions from the 3 Gun community. Funny, that I didn't hear "no thats not possible" in the conversation. Talked a lot about a true 1x - 6 and the need for an exposed elevation turret as additions to make the new scope damn near perfect.

Wow, a Meopta with a BDC ?? Did someone just build the perfect 3gun scope we have all been asking for ??

I liked the new scope really well. When I mentioned a very visible externally adjustable elevation knob with BDC for a common .223 round. The comment from the rep was simply "that would be pretty easy to do!".

IMHO being able to quickly dial dope, or change zero to suit a particular stage would make the Meopta very versatile.

Sounds good but I dont understand why you would want a dope in when you already have a BDC ?

Also, whats the obsesion with the 6x ? 4x does everything just fine, where are you really going to use a 6x except for one match...maybe ?

The new scope sounds very promising, hope someone can post a pic of the reticle. With the reputation of the k-dot this one is sure to please in the illumination and glass departments and with the new additions it should be a winner for 3gun. So why jump on what thay did wrong right off the bat ?

Edited by P.Pres

The super trick guys at Premiere put the dot in one focal plane and the cross hair/bdc in the other...they said the hard part was getting them to line up exactly. S&B's version didn't ;)

The new Meopta should own the 1-4 market, based on what I saw at SHOT. The Vortex was nice, but the good version should be about $400-odd more expensive and has a lot more cluttered reticule (and their cheap 1-4 has a crapfest for a reticule, so it is pretty useless to us even if the price point is good).

Alex

yeah, the Premiere was very, very impressive

can't believe that S&B let those be seen frankly

would have been better to have them under glass than to show them with defects

We visited with the old german guy and he was talking about tooling issues and that they will be right shortly..

I wanted to check out the Meopta booth but just didn't make it by

Vortex is too busy for me personally, I like simple reticles, but I bet they still will sell a lot of them

I know our optical guy spent some time at the Meopta booth, going to ping him to see what intel he got

Sounds good but I dont understand why you would want a dope in when you already have a BDC ?

Also, whats the obsesion with the 6x ? 4x does everything just fine, where are you really going to use a 6x except for one match...maybe ?

The new scope sounds very promising, hope someone can post a pic of the reticle. With the reputation of the k-dot this one is sure to please in the illumination and glass departments and with the new additions it should be a winner for 3gun. So why jump on what thay did wrong right off the bat ?

First, on the dope. I run a 300yd zero on my Meopta and hold dope on everything. For the vast majority of targets I am still holding on the plate/target. However, my choice would always be to be able to hold the main aiming point of the scope in the center of a given target. The external knob would allow you to easily set POA to suit the stage. This isn't such a great benefit to open guys as we can have two optics with two zeros that are optimized for two different distances. However as a Tac Optics guys it would be a serious advantage to say dial down the zero for a close hoser stage with headshots instead of trying to hold off on them.

As to 6x. If I could have a scope that still had a true 1x bottom end and 6x top end with no compromise on the FOV, why not? Yes, as with the external knobs, it may only be used a couple times a year but if you think about it we do a lot of things for small advantages.

• 3 weeks later...

If I were to guess the weight I would say it may be a couple of ounces lighter as they shortened the tube about an inch and a half.

As far as how the reticle looks I have not seen a pic yet. But if you can imagine the original reticle with 3 vertical dots repacing the 6'oclock bar. They appeared to be equidistant from one and other and the spacing appeared to be the same length as the original vertical bar. No other changes.

If I were to guess the weight I would say it may be a couple of ounces lighter as they shortened the tube about an inch and a half.

As far as how the reticle looks I have not seen a pic yet. But if you can imagine the original reticle with 3 vertical dots repacing the 6'oclock bar. They appeared to be equidistant from one and other and the spacing appeared to be the same length as the original vertical bar. No other changes.

Thanks for the info. I always felt the Meopta was heavy compared to the Trijicon, relatively speaking of course.

Are the 2 horizontal bars still present or is it just dots?

Thanks for the feedback. Question though -- you noted dots for the holdovers, Wakal earlier mentioned chevrons (point up) -- are there more than one version or prototypes for the new Meopta?

Thanks for the feedback. Question though -- you noted dots for the holdovers, Wakal earlier mentioned chevrons (point up) -- are there more than one version or prototypes for the new Meopta?

I'm itching to see a picture of the new reticle... Anyone know of a picture of it anywhere?