Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

multipurpose ppc gun?

raggedclaws

I'm a new guy here and an almost new PPC shooter. I've only shot two PPC matches in my life but liked the game enough to have Clark Custom build me a gun from a S&W 586 that I sent them. The gun now has a 6" heavy slab sided barrel and an Aristocrat rib. I'm wondering if I can use this gun in other competitions. I was thinking that I could remove the rib and install a C-More type sight. I know that IDPA is out, but don't know if the heavy barrel would be too much of a problem for other types of action shooting. There's just not that much PPC action here in northern Ca. and I'd like to use this gun and my other PPC stuff for other shooting sports. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Kim

i don't think you'd like that barrel for any action shooting. I have shot a similar gun to what you have and its only place that i know if is PPC. I don't know what all shooting sports you have available too you but ICORE is really fun and if you have a place close that shoots it i highly recommend it.

Thanks for the reply, Chris. I kind of figured that barrel would be too heavy to swing and stop with any speed but It's such a nice gun I was hoping to be able to use it more than once a month (at best). I've got a S&W 19 that I could use for IDPA if I decide to try that sport. The only other DA revolver I own is a S&W 629 but don't know if anyone uses that gun for any action shooting sports. I haven't found a near by range that shoots ICORE and only one that shoots PPC. I live between San Francisco and Sacramento so if anyone knows of an ICORE range within an hour or so of the Ca. Delta area please let me know.

Kim

A PPC gun works great for Metallic sight class in NRA Action Pistol. (Bianchi Cup). You can use all the same gear as is.

For other action type matches like Steel Challenge and IPSC, unless you're near the top, a tenth or two slower transition

time won't make any difference. Just take what you have and go play! :cheers:

A PPC gun works great for Metallic sight class in NRA Action Pistol. (Bianchi Cup). You can use all the same gear as is.

For other action type matches like Steel Challenge and IPSC, unless you're near the top, a tenth or two slower transition

time won't make any difference. Just take what you have and go play! :cheers:

That's good news. I should be able to find one of those sports near by. I imagine that the other competitors will be so busy laughing at my pitiful scores that they won't notice my antiquated gear ;)

Kim

Not sure if it is still made but I have a scope rail that was made to replace the Aristocrat rib and gives you a full length rail. I used it on my Bill Davis PPC gun and shot some local matches with it. It can be done, you just need to decide what you want to do with it.

Neal in AZ

Thanks for the reply, Chris. I kind of figured that barrel would be too heavy to swing and stop with any speed but It's such a nice gun I was hoping to be able to use it more than once a month (at best). I've got a S&W 19 that I could use for IDPA if I decide to try that sport. The only other DA revolver I own is a S&W 629 but don't know if anyone uses that gun for any action shooting sports. I haven't found a near by range that shoots ICORE and only one that shoots PPC. I live between San Francisco and Sacramento so if anyone knows of an ICORE range within an hour or so of the Ca. Delta area please let me know.

Kim

There are a couple places in Northern California to shoot ICORE.

Richmond

NVSA

Kim

Richmond

NVSA

Thanks, Brian. Richmond is definitely doable.

As Toolguy stated, your PPC rig is perfect for NRA Action Pistol Metallic Division just as it is. Remove the rib, install a red dot scope and it will work pretty darn well in NRA Action Pistol Open Division. Add some barricade wings and a scope it is a real good gun for Open Division. Add a Toolguy made STICK SHIFT under that scope and you have a damn good NRA Action Pistol Open gun.

Take it to another level as follows: Have a competent smith turn the last 5/8 or so of the existing barrel so that a screw on compensator can be threaded on. Of course have the compensator made for it, along with a protective cap the dimension of the barrel to protect the threads when you do not have the comp threaded on.

Now, you have a terrific PPC gun with quality barrel, rib etc with the muzzle thread cap installed, and a terrific Bianchi Metallic gun.

Remove the rib, remove the muzzle thread cap, and thread on your compensator, install your scope and wings and you have an excellent Bianchi (NRA Action Pistol) Open gun.

I have a gun which I have shot 1918 in a NRA AP Match with it, and shot a 1496 over the PPC COF with the same basic gun, as described above. Mine, however is built on a K frame, so I had to do it with lead bullets. There is some quality work involved which comes at a quality price, but you will have a nice setup, if setup properly.

Good Luck,

Martin

As Toolguy stated, your PPC rig is perfect for NRA Action Pistol Metallic Division just as it is. Remove the rib, install a red dot scope and it will work pretty darn well in NRA Action Pistol Open Division. Add some barricade wings and a scope it is a real good gun for Open Division. Add a Toolguy made STICK SHIFT under that scope and you have a damn good NRA Action Pistol Open gun.

Take it to another level as follows: Have a competent smith turn the last 5/8 or so of the existing barrel so that a screw on compensator can be threaded on. Of course have the compensator made for it, along with a protective cap the dimension of the barrel to protect the threads when you do not have the comp threaded on.

Now, you have a terrific PPC gun with quality barrel, rib etc with the muzzle thread cap installed, and a terrific Bianchi Metallic gun.

Remove the rib, remove the muzzle thread cap, and thread on your compensator, install your scope and wings and you have an excellent Bianchi (NRA Action Pistol) Open gun.

I have a gun which I have shot 1918 in a NRA AP Match with it, and shot a 1496 over the PPC COF with the same basic gun, as described above. Mine, however is built on a K frame, so I had to do it with lead bullets. There is some quality work involved which comes at a quality price, but you will have a nice setup, if setup properly.

Good Luck,

Martin

Thanks so much for this info, Martin. I had no idea that my gun could be so versatile. The only down side to this is that I'm going to have to send my wife back to work so I can afford all the stuff I want ;)

I looked at Toolguy's forum here but couldn't figure out exactly what a "stick shift" is.

Kim

Good Luck,

Martin

Thanks so much for this info, Martin. I had no idea that my gun could be so versatile. The only down side to this is that I'm going to have to send my wife back to work so I can afford all the stuff I want ;)

I looked at Toolguy's forum here but couldn't figure out exactly what a "stick shift" is.

Kim

Sorry for the delay. Toolguy as do very few others, make a "mover base". Basically it works like this. The "base" is comprised of a lower which mounts the the gun, and the upper which pivots an an axis, side to side. The scope is mounted to the upper. Think of it this way, it enables a very drastic, repeatable windage adjustement. Repeatable and adjustable enables one to shoot lead on the mover, R to L and L to R and hold center of the target. The inputed (adjusted) lead provides the amount of lead needed for a given bullet speed. Toolguy calls his the STICK SHIFT and it is very good quality, used by many and afordable, although not cheap.

So the STICK SHIFT when in the center position is simply a scope base to mount weaver type rings on which accmomodate most scopes today. After ytou have adjusted the needed lead L and R then to shoot on the Bianchi Mover, simple toggle the "stick" to the proper possition, hold center and you lead is taken care of. Toggle the opposite position and shoot the mover in the other direction. Simply repeat this for each of the mover strings and you are good to go. And, yes one adjustment on left lead and one adjustment of right lead works at 10, 15, 20 & 25 yds.

Before Toolguy sesigned his STICK SHIFT, I designed my own proprietary replacement reticle for the Generation 1 HOLOsights which has lead dots for the mover. If you happen to have a generation 1 HOLOsight (interchangeale reticles) I can hook you up with one of the MJ Custom Reticles, but the STICK SHIFT is the way to go as it is more versatile, since you can put almost any scope on it. Toolguy makes the STICK SHIFT with flat bottom for mounting on autos, and he has a version which aligns with newer model S&W revolvers that are drilled and tapped. Tool guy also makes a mover front sight for those who want to shoot metallic sights. It also is neat trick, but not cheap. Toolguys stuff is unique and very high quality and I highy recommend him or his products.

MJ

The only down side to this is that I'm going to have to send my wife back to work so I can afford all the stuff I want ;)

I have a friend who always says, "A guy should have a wife and a color TV, and they both oughtta work." :)

Edited by Carmoney

• 3 weeks later...

Kim

Richmond

NVSA

Thanks, Brian. Richmond is definitely doable.

Hi raggedclaws. Richmond will have it's next ICORE Match on Feb 28. Get your equipment ready and come on out. There are some top shooters at Richmond as well as some guys just starting out. Richmond shoots with squads. Look me up, we can shoot together. Richard

Kim

Just looked on the ICORE web page and there are two clubs you can look up.

1. Richmond Hotwheels in the bay area.

2. A club in Gridley north of Sacramento of the 99.

Rich

Kim,

If your still interested in shooting PPC, check this link out: capolicepistol.org The 2010 PPC match dates are posted. Most of the matches are held at the Sacrmento Sheriff's Range, which is not far from you. The first match is March 21. They shoot dual 1500 matches, so you can shoot 2 revolver 1500 and 2 semi-auto 1500, plus you can also shoot distiguished matches. I think there is 7 or 8 match dates at the Sacramento Sheriff range and two mathces at the CHP range.

Also Chabot Gun Club has a PPC match the 2nd Sunday of every month. So if your into PPC I wouldn't mess up your PPC revolver to shoot other sports. There are plenty of PPC matches close to you shoot your gun as is.

Paul4895

Raggedclaws

I am an old PPC shooter from back in the 1960's and I made High Master shooting a heavy barreled PPC gun. No ports, but I did come up with a rib to mount a scope and eventually installed barricade wings. I finally gave up PPC because I liked AP much better and installed a Ron Power mover base.

The Ron Power mover bases are no longer available but Toolguy's mover bases are even better.

• 3 months later...

U.S.I. (United Sportsmen International) in Concord Ca. is holding a Wednesday night Steel Challenge match series, three down, nine more to go.

The match starts at 5:00pm and goes till 8:00pm, or when the sun goes down. We are shooting three stages with four or five strings in each stage.

A complete set usually takes me forty five minutes to an hour, the first match had nineteen shooters, the last one had forty six!!!

The only requirement is being a member of one of the U.S.I. clubs, suitable equiptment, and a bit of common sense.

We are waiving the usual Diablo Action Pistol credentials usually reqired in a match such as this by starting from the low ready position, and no

on the clock reloads, with a ten round max capacity to keep it fair.

Classes are: REVOLVER(hint, hint), limited(all centerfire semis),open(almost anything goes) and rimfire. Pretty basic, LOTS of FUN!!!!!

Chabot Gun Club in Castro Valley shoots PPC sometimes as well.

Get on U.S.I, Diablo Rod and Gun Club, or Calguns (S.F. Bay Area)websites for more info.

Chris

Edited by checkenbach