Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gear for first big Open Match

Wilsoncreek

I tried to search for this topic in several forums but couldn't find anything

Getting ready to start my journey on the Dark Side and wondering what gear you experienced Open shooters have in your range bag that might be unique to the platform? I'm not a novice shooter and have been to a number of big matches in the last five years but never before with an Open blaster. Is there equipment/gear/gidgies that are must-haves that might not be obvious to an shooter used to iron-sight divisions?

Thanx

Dave

I tried to search for this topic in several forums but couldn't find anything

Getting ready to start my journey on the Dark Side and wondering what gear you experienced Open shooters have in your range bag that might be unique to the platform? I'm not a novice shooter and have been to a number of big matches in the last five years but never before with an Open blaster. Is there equipment/gear/gidgies that are must-haves that might not be obvious to an shooter used to iron-sight divisions?

Thanx

Dave

They might want to move this to the Open forum, but no matter. I'd put a fresh battery in the scope and keep a spare in the bag, just in case (like in case you leave the dot on overnight). Probably a good idea to keep a small lens cleaning cloth or small piece of clean tee shirt to wipe the lens off. A spare mag spring/follower that's already tested in your big stick is a good idea. If any spring is going to die, it's likely to be the big stick spring. In case it's rainy or dusty, a gun cover is a great idea. If you can't get one in time (I like the CR Speed cover) a shower cap from the hotel will serve in a pinch. I also have one of the little scope covers for when it's really nasty. I'll keep the gun in the bag until I'm about two shooters down, walk to the safety area, put it on, throw the big cover on the gun, do my final walkthrough and then pull off the big cover, put on the scope cover and wait for the RO. I don't take the scope cover off until they say "make ready". R,

Buy an extra battery for your optic sight.

Bring a cleaning rag for your optic sight.

Bring tools in case something gets loose.

Have extra mags so if one starts jamming, you can go to another one.

Put a silicone soaked rag in a plastic bag and put your ammo inside and shake it all about, this will help the rounds feed more reliably.

Clean you mags each time if they drop on the ground.

Bring your cleaning kit so you can clean the gun between stages if it starts jamming.

Randy

Yeah, batteries. The single main thing that will need to be replaced is a worn battery. Beyond that I have a second big stick. I use it not only as a back up but carry it on my belt in my third mag pouch in case my main big stick pukes during a long stage. Never has happened, not even close, but its a bit of redundancy that I like.

If it's your first open match I'd bring an extra dot cause you'll lose the one on the gun at some point. :roflol:

No, really, Bart as usual has it about covered. Extra batteries are a must. For a while it seemed I was loaning them out at an alarming rate. Do a search and you'll find some good places to buy them. I personally do not like the generic ones. Keeping the optic clean is really important especially if it's bright and sunny out.

Also an extra big stick is always a good idea.

Good luck!!

Since I buy the C-more batteries in 10 paks, I usually take 3 with me. That way I can be a nice guy and give one to some other poor sole :goof: who forgot extras and still have at least one spare for myself :D . Not exactly a mandatory, but great way to make a new friend at a match.

I suggest pre-moistened lense wipes to keep the optics clean. You can be assured that you won't scratch the lense when you clean it.

I keep a half dozen in a ziplock baggy.

In addition to the above, I keep a small bottle of Rain X in the bag. I use it on the glass if it is raining. It helps a little.

Also, the proper sized hex wrences for thost itsy, bitsy C-More screws along with the correct size screw driver for the adjustment screw slots.

Bart and the gang pretty well covered it.

I also carry some blue locktite in my bag.

Before every match I check the C-more mount screws and the adjustment locking screws as well as the grip screws. These open guns just want to fall apart.

An extra tuned and tested extractor. Springs for the Aftec as well as the metal cap.

If not packing a spare gun, or paired up with another shooter. My gun has been double shot a few times when my partner's gun went down.