Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommendation For Gun Smith

lucas

I make some fairly simple cuts on the inside of the slide in front of the locking lugs depending on how much weight reduction is needed. I also go inside the area where the scallops would be and hollow it out. I would recommend just lightening the slide first and see how you like it before lightening the frame. By doing the lightening internaly you can avoid refinishing if you want.

Thanks, Rich.

Thanks for the reply Ross.

I've been meaning to weigh my slide so I can accurately tell how much more it weighs over a standard 1911 slide. Holding both in my hands I can feel some considerable weight differences. But since it's already black chromed, I'm looking for other options to lighten it.

However, i just realized you guys are running 165 PF (?) in your guns. Back here under IPSC rules I usually run around 174-179PF. You think slide lightening is wise with these power factors? Do you have a personal ball park figure on how much a slide should weigh optimally?

Sorry for my questions. These lightening thoughts seem to be distracting me when I should instead be out practicing. Now if only I can put this to rest... :D

Thanks again.

A unique unscalloped slide weighs about 13 to 13 1/2 oz and a std slide usually weighs about 12. I know I being a little vague but they do vary. An ounce to ounce and a half difference doesn't sound like much but you have to consider the velocity of the slide.

I think it gets down to what you like. Some like the softer feel of the heavy frame and slide and others like the harsher but faster feel of the lighter slide and frame guns. Some guys shoot the heavy frame with the scalloped slide! BE used to I think? I shoot a longslide lightened to 12 oz with a std frame, a 5 oz guide rod, a 180 grain bullet, and tightgroup.

When you add in the load variations and they're too many variables to make sweeping statements. Try to shoot some different variations to see what you like.

Just for reference:

STI slide Classic vs. Unique - 0.4 oz. difference

STI standard frame 10.4 oz

STI short wide frame 11.4 oz.

STI Long wide 13.0 oz.

Slides measured were completely bare no serrations no other cuts.

Frames measured were complete frame/grip assembly with no frame cut.

SV and Caspian numbers will vary slightly but not much.

Thanks for the replies BC and Ross.

I was finally able to borrow a weighing scale. I'm using a steel gun so the total unloaded weight is 1.2kg (~ 42oz.) The total lower end weight 100+ grams more than the total top end. The slide alone was 13oz and change.

My smith seems hesitant to put holes on my slide. Told me to buy ammo instead and practice... <_<

Lucas, sorry for the thread hijack... :P

Rumor has it that these guys have established a traveling gunsmith service. Have your gun fixed wherever you are. Turnaround time so quick, it will be ready for the next stage.

Transform your obsolete long comp gun into a state of the art shorty while you wait.

Frame, Barrel, Comp shortening a specialty.

JRBean_gunsmithing.jpg

:D