Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Makin' chili!

38supPat

My chili's has somewhat of a following in the 'hood. wink.gif

It's not true chili, in the sense that has (2 kinds of) beans, and it's not really "tomato'e" - it's more like mexican chili, in that it's more green chili'e.

I'll post the recipe later when I have time.

be

On my recipe, it's named BE's Mexican Chili. And someone arrowed in "world famous" between "BE's" and "Mexican."

wink.gif

The recipe has been evolving since '04, here's the current version.

Ingredients

* Bacon (6 pieces)

* Pinto Beans (2 regular size cans)

* Kidney Beans (2 cans)

* Tomatoes (2 cans, stewed, then chopped before cooking, I use S&W brand)

* El Pato Jalapeno Salsa (1 small can)

* Green Chilies (the best you can get, here we get the roasted Hatch Green Chilies, if canned, get whole not diced)

* Beer (dark, Modelo is good)

* Hatch (brand, 1 - 2 cans, to "consistency") Green Chili Sauce (may not be available in the east, which would be real sad because it's killer)

* Tomato Sauce (1, 8 oz. can)

* Onions (2 big ones)

* Jalapenos (2, diced small)

* Red Peppers (1 or 2, chopped)

* Garlic (5 or 6 big cloves)

* Sirloin (1.5 lbs, cubed after slightly browning)

* Ground Sirloin (.5 lb)

* Cumin (approx. 1.5 tsp)

* Oregano (approx. 1 tsp)

* Basil (approx. .5 to 1 tsp)

* Cilantro (to taste, approx. 1 small to med. bunch)

* Garlic Powder (approx. 1 tsp)

* Salt (to taste)

Prep and Cooking

First, get the bacon cooking in the pan you will cook the Mexican Chili in.

While it's cooking, layer both sides of the Sirloin with Garlic Salt then just slightly brown it. Then Garlic Salt the Ground Sirloin and just slightly brown it.

Remove the bacon from the pan when it's done (and set aside), leaving as much bacon grease in the pan as possible. Put in the chopped onions on medium heat and cook/caramelize for 10 - 12 minutes. Keep and eye on it, and keep scraping the bottom of the pan with a metal spatula until all the brown stuff from the bacon is gone. Then add the Red Peppers and Garlic and caramelize for 5 - 10 more minutes. (If the mix starts to dry out before the onions are nice and yellow, add a little butter.)

The add all the rest of the ingredients, including the water in all the cans (except from the Green Chilies, if you had to use canned), and let it simmer for an hour or so. A little before it's done, crumble up the bacon and throw it in. (Note: no water is added.)

Note: Depending on the source of the Green Chilies, it will anywhere from slightly spicy to fairly spicy when done.

And you can serve it with some fresh mozzarella (or your favorite chili cheese) grated on top.

Mmmmm... good stuff.

wink.gif

Just made this year's first batch, and made a few mods that took it to another level...

Insteed of .5 lb. of ground beef and 1.5 lb. of sirloin - 2.5 lb. of sirloin.

Cooked all the meat in the same dutch oven that the chili will be made in. First cooked the bacon, then removed it and seared the seasoned, sirloin in the bacon grease. Remove the sirloin and carmelize the onions for 10 minutes, then add the peppers and garlic and carmelize for 5 more minutes.

This time used Bueno brand, frozen green chilis, "Autumn Roast" blend. (There are available at my local Fry's grocery store.) They are excellent - put in the whole tub.

Chop the sirloin into 1/4" cubes, and add it back when you add all the canned ingredients and the spices.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Real chili does not have beans... smile.gif))))

Not in Texas no beans in the Chili....... :yawn:

In Arizona, we love beans, and LOTS of green chilis. Therefore, we know what's up.

:D

I put some beans in last weekend as the pot started to get low so I could bulk it up, turns out I had to make a second batch anyways oh well, some of the guys are still rearing the results of that. Or at least they are trying to blame me. Lol

Real chili does not have beans... smile.gif))))

Not in Texas no beans in the Chili....... :yawn:

In Arizona, we love beans, and LOTS of green chilis. Therefore, we know what's up.

:D

#1 reason I love living in New Mexico. Chile on almost everything makes it that much better.

I did this one just last weekend. Turned out very well.

1 teaspoon vegetable oil

3 pounds of dead cow - 2 lbs. ground chuck and 1 lb. cubed (1/4") cheap steak-type meat worked great. Vary the portions to suit your taste.

2 (14-ounce) cans beef broth

1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce

1 tablespoon paprika (smoked paprika is best)

1 tablespoon granulated onion

5 tablespoons chili powder, divided

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

2 beef bouillon cubes

1 chicken bouillon cube

1 tablespoon ground cumin

1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic

Salt to taste

In a skillet, add vegetable oil. Brown the dead cow. Work in batches so you don't overload the pan and get a bunch of water releasing too quickly. That just makes boiled meat (I mean, we're not Brits, are we? laugh.gif ) and you miss the good caramelizing that adds so much

Drain fat. Put the meat in a 8-quart stockpot (don't use cast iron; the acid in the tomato can produce a metallic taste) and pour in one can of beef broth. Add water to cover an inch or so. Bring to a slow boil and cook for 30 minutes. Add remaining broth and tomato sauce and boil low for another 30 minutes. Stir in the paprika, granulated onion, 3 tablespoons chili powder, cayenne and bouillon cubes. Slow-boil for another 30 minutes.

Stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons chili powder, cumin and granulated garlic. Salt to taste. Boil another 30 minutes, adding water as needed to get the consistency you want (I didn't need any).

Serve with grated cheddar cheese and a slice of jalapeno pepper, if desired.

If you want beans, serve them on the side and don't call it chili.

I tried Mark's recipe last weekend, and it was delicious. I added beans, so I'm not sure what I'm allowed to call it.