Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FB3G Match-What did you think about the ACR?

Just curious as to what those of you who competed thought about shooting the ACR. I believe the course of fire was for a few rounds at close range, so you probably can't give much of a report.

I'd like to hear your thoughts. I'm not thinking about getting one for 3 Gun, but I may consider it "just because", if/when it's been available for a while.

Thanks!

I liked the way it felt. The stock was adjustable in both length and comb. We fired 10 rounds on full auto at 3 targets at contact distance, so I can't comment on the trigger pull. I have never fired a suppressed AR15, so I also can't say whether the felt recoil is more or less than the AR. I personally really like the way the SCAR handles, but I'm not interested in paying $2500 for one since it does nothing better than the AR. The same can probably be said for the ACR, but if it sells for $1500 like some are speculating it will be a hit.

Not one jam in my squad. I liked it great. Cant it a little bit to left and it is a rippin' machine gun, especially with the silencer they had on it.It seemed perfect for door knocking and duty work. Does have a lot of rail, but I could wrap my hand around it. I thought the trigger was real good, it had been smoothed out. It does not seem like it would be a great gun for 3 gun. Maybe.

I thought I remembered reading that the ACR uses the same trigger group as an AR, so aftermarket AR triggers would fit it. Is this true? If so it would be great for us competitive shooters since an aftermarket trigger is such a common upgrade. The SCAR I looked at had a different style trigger, thus I would assume it would require a new design for an aftermarket trigger.

My squad shot SN 0003 and it ran for all of us as well as the squad in front of us. The trigger felt pretty good for a service rifle (they let us dryfire it a few times during the walk thru period). I didn't use the sights at all, I had two alpha, two alpha, six alpha on the three targets. The third target pattern looked like half of a teardrop, with the first round starting in the center then moving down and left and then comming back up. I didn't care for the selector, it didn't have a lever like an AR. I like the HK style charging handle( I think, I didn't have to use it though). It seemed pretty soft shooting, but it was suppressed, and I only had ten rounds so I can't form much of an opinion.

Hurley

Squad 7, i had one of the runs with a jam. After a 3 round burst, it stopped. Not sure why, trigger just did not reset? But I was able to shoot it again! :rolleyes: 2nd run no problem. These were some of the first brought to the military to test, so already a ton of rounds down range. Thought it was nice, but i'd take my home built AR for the money any day!

I liked the firearm and it functioned perfectly. One of the two guns had the piston set for "flash hider" blowback and caused some problems. Once it was adjusted to the "noise suppressor" setting, it ran very well.

It's hard to get a good feel for something after shooting only 10 rounds full auto. The proof for this firearm will come from its use on the battlefield.

Ranger6

I was one of the RO's on that stage and spent most of my time handling the ACR. We had two early rifles that where both marked Dallas, TX. Serials where 00056 and 00031. I was told by the AMU folks that these two had been Proving Ground rifles...and they showed it. We put plenty of rounds thru each rifle at the end of every day. :unsure:

Overall I was impressed. I liked the Ergos overall and it handled well. Much better balanced than I expected.

The charging handle was well placed, as was the mag release. I didnt care for the stock LOP adjustment, it was pretty rough and hard to adjust, but it was sturdy once positioned.

Becuase of the piston system, the sights seemed higher, with more off-set than an AR. The trigger was very good, particularly on FA. Speaking of FA...it was very fast cycling. Too fast...the first half of the RO's that shot the stage did so with the gas setting on "U" for un-suppressed. With the can on and the gas system open it ran like a scalded cat. Still was fast on the "S" setting, but was very easy to control. Supressed OK, but no way of knowing how many rounds the M4-1000's mounted on the two rifles had had thru them. At the end of the match on Sunday I tried to remove the cans...no go. They had so much carbon build up that they wouldnt budge.

Several have mentioned jamming. The first day both rifles where having issues with the supplied P-mags. After the switch to standard GI 30's one ran fine, the other would still hang up. That rifle would mostly jam a round that was only halfway free of the mag...all were feeding issues. I do recall a couple of dry gun jams on the other that we ran almost exclusively (and one round-over-bolt...glad I took learned the drill for that!).

We really pushed the rifle we ran (the one that didnt jam) and only gave it a squirt or two of CLP once a day. Thats a lot of rounds in a dirty gun with very few issues.