Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2010 MGM Ironman

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What kind of buckshot did you guys use? Were you happy with it?

I was using Fiocchi #4 buckshot. The box says 1325 fps. I've looked at the other buckshot in Midway and the highest velocity for 2 3/4 seems to be 1325 fps.

I don't know if it was the choke (cyl) I was using or what... but I wasn't too happy with the #4 Fiocchis. It didn't seem to have as much oomph compared to what the other guys were shooting. 00 a beter choice?

Ran some RIO Buckshot from Cabelas 9 pellet at 1345 fps. Turned the spinners in two or three rounds.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0067753217094a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=Products&QueryText=rio+buckshot&sort=all&Go.y=0&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/search/search-box.jsp.form23&Go.x=0

If you can ever find some Activ made some 12 pellet 00 that is a smokin hot round. It absolutely rocks MGM Spinners

As far as choke goes, with a cylinder choke I can't imagine you were getting any more than 1 or 2 pellets on steel which would easily explain poor performance.

Edited by smokshwn

I was using Federal Reduced recoil buckshot, at about 1100 FPS. Also spun the spinners in 2-3 rounds but did it because the shot column stays tight instead of scattering. The new stuff keeps all the pellets on an IPSC target at 40 yards. At 20, it's about a 10 inch pattern, just right for the Spinners. Just make sure you get the stuff with the Flite-Control wad. If memory serves I did one in 2 rounds, the other in 3.

They measure 2.51"

Chuck brings up a good point, I ran a modified choke in my gun and all nine pellets would stay within 12" at 25 yds. With my Light MOD choke the same shells would barely keep 2 or 3 pellets in that same target size. YMMV

I tried some Fiocchi low recoil LE 00 buckshot. It wasn't very effective unless you were darn close.

I switched to some hot loaded Fiocchi #4's and they rock the spinners at all ranges, 2 rounds to spin if you aim properly.

I used a LM choke for 90% of the Ironman. I used a MOD the other 10%.

Edited by boomfab

Federal 00Buck Magnum 12 pellet

1290 FPS (copper plated because I care about the enviorment.)

Spinners over in two shots . . every time

And travis did say that 00Buck was not nessesarly needed . . . this stuff did not hurt to have along. . . and it did help on some of thoses long plate racks and to get thoses spinners over in two.. . .on the limited vickers stage it worked just fine for the steel as I knew if i got close it would go over and or fall with out a follow up shot. just my opinion . . . but it wiorked for me.

Federal 00Buck Magnum 12 pellet

1290 FPS (copper plated because I care about the enviorment.)

Spinners over in two shots . . every time

And travis did say that 00Buck was not nessesarly needed . . . this stuff did not hurt to have along. . . and it did help on some of thoses long plate racks and to get thoses spinners over in two.. . .on the limited vickers stage it worked just fine for the steel as I knew if i got close it would go over and or fall with out a follow up shot. just my opinion . . . but it wiorked for me.

I'm torn on the plate rack. They went down with 00 of course but seemed to go down just fine with #6 too. Spinners, yeah, 00 rules.

in 09 i did use some #6 heavy game load . . . . just didn't bring enough. and i found that low recoil 00 buck did not do the job on the spinners . . .at all . . .(could have been my choke) (( or me))

it seems that if the plate rack is properly set up (Read Level) and past 20 yards out #6 would be my choice. it's much cheaper than magnum loads.

this year. . . . i forgot to pick some up. thus my only answer was the magnum 00buck.

again this is just my oppinion . . and i'm probably wrong.

I used a LM choke throughout the whole match.

4s on some of the plate racks and small plates at a distance.

Regular 9 pellet 2 3/4 00 or 15 pellet 00 3" magnums on the the spinners.