Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Redding GRX on a Dillon?

COMATZD

I'm guessing that everyone just uses another press, but I don't really want to go that route.

The problem I've got is that the base of the 'pusher' rod is not the size of a .40 case rim. That means it does not slip under the Dillon caliber plate, which would locate the rod. So I either have to machine the rod to fit or get another press to fit in the not-so-open 1 foot of bench I have.

So my question is, has anyone else used the GRX in their Dillon?

Danno

Looking at some pictures and drawings the pusher rod is designed to fit where the shellholder would normally go in a std single stage type press.

I suggest you look about for an old single stage O-Frame press. I honestly think that you are very unlikely to be able to modify it or the shellplate to accept the pusher rod. Mount the "spare" press on a block of 8x2 and clamp it to your bench with two G clamps, when you have debumped all your brass set the press aside.

I iwll certainly be looking at the GRX dies but I have a spare O frame press or two to make use of. I suspect that an old Lee turret press would be perfect if you have more than one calibre to do.

I took some measurements this morning, it looks like things would almost work if I flipped the shellplate over and turned down the rod slightly. Of course that would be almost as much a PITA as dealing with another press.

I never thought about bolting a single stage to a board that clamps to the bench. That would probably work just fine, because I definitely can't have it on my bench when I'm actually loading ammo there just isn't enough room.

Thanks a lot.

Danno

A cheap Lee Single Stage press for $21.00 will solve your problem. I got my free with the Lee Reloading book check Midway USA. You need to lube the cases so they have to go back into the tumbler to get the lube off. You will also need a 40 S&W Lee Shell Holder to mount the rod in. The bottle adapter and bottle make things go a little quicker.

Since the shell plate rotates and the brass is pushed out the top even if it could work you would have to pull the ram 5 times for each piece of brass.

The three posters above have the right ideas, and one or more of those should solve your problem.

If not, take a look at the Lee hand press. It is portable, and you can just hold it in your hands while you are sizing your cases. It doesn't have to be mounted on a bench and, in fact, can't be mounted on a bench. If you have very few cases to size, that might be satisfactory. I certainly wouldn't want to use it for very many cases, but it might get you through a small number.

The suggestions above are better, but this is offered as a last resort.

Jim M.

I use mine in an old RCBS single stage. My buddy built a frame for it that puts it upside down. Drop case in die, run the arm up, brass falls in bucket. Easy enough.

Wow, Upside down sounds great. Then you don't have to worry about case alignment. I ordered the $23 Lee from Midway (ends up closer to $40 by the time it gets here :angry2:) And since I can't permanently mount it to my bench, I think I'll try the upside down trick.

I suggest you look about for an old single stage O-Frame press.

What's an O frame press?

The frame is a full circle for strength. More like a rectangle or square. Do a Google search for "O frame press" for a pic.

CYa,

Pat

Edited by whatmeworry

you know, my issue with the GRX is that there is a chance that you can push the brass thru at an angle because there is no side support for the case, and the base of the case isn't *held* in a shell plate. You are at the whim of the plunger and whatever angle it decides to invoke on the case as it goes thru the die. While I have no science to back this, it wonder if it could be that you could stretch one side of the brass longer than the other that could lead to headspace, etc issues.

I decided to to go a "Gizmo" (search for it on benos for specifics), because it fundamentally is the same concept, but it supports the case square into the FCD that is used as the GRX. And to change calibers, you just get a different support insert and install a different FCD. I've got one for .40 and for .45... You can't do 9mm as 9 uses a tapered case (the case if thousands larger in diameter at the base of the case than it is at the mouth.)

Anyway, I solved all my problems all around and picked up a Casepro recently, so far, it's the cats meow (mind you at significantly more dollars than either a Gizmo or a GRX).

FWIW,

Alan

You pretty much can't force one cylinder shape (brass) through another (die) without the two aligning properly. The only thing a holder really does is properly locate the brass quickly, vital on a progressive; but you could do it manually if you had the time.

So I ended up with cheap Lee single stage unit that I bolted to a 2x10 that I can clamp to my bench. I clamp the board on so the press is upside down, then I can just grab a handful of cases and drop them in one at a time. Kind of feels like running the slot machines, but I have to pull the handle up not down!

I would definitely lube the cases, but have been doing a few without since I haven't received my latest Dillon order yet.

Thanks guys.

• 2 weeks later...