Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Olympics

Sterling White

Hi guys,

Sorry to rain on the parade, but IPSC (and, by default, USPSA) shooting is not part of the Olympics. You're probably confused with USA Shooting (very slow website), which is the governing body of ISSF shooting events in the USA.

However I understand that some top USPSA competitors (Todd Jarrett?) have successfully tried their hand at some of the ISSF events.

I believe some of the USA Olympic rapid shooting team members are training with and shooting with some USPSA folks and attending matches in preparation for the Olympics this Summer. Kimber made the pistols and donated some $ for the team. The next time the Games are in the US we should introduce IPSC shooting!

Olympic Rapid Fire uses .22 caliber pistols.

Some of the Team USA olympic shooters were at the Steel Challenge this year-- they shot the SC and in return set up and ran a little Olympic Rapid Fire range where anybody could walk up and shoot one of their high-zoot .22's.. Talk about a light trigger.. many experienced shooters AD-ed into the ground before getting the hang of it. Cool deal, even though they didn't have a lefty .22 handy. <_<

The Olympic event we ran a year or so ago was totally nutso. Matt Burkett has now passed into Olympic Center lore...we're at an introductory meeting, where the Powers-That-Be are explaining to us all that USA Shooting has developed a lean mean machine for turning out world-class shooters. This goes on for about 15 minutes; I look over in the corner and there's Burkett, raising his hand and bouncing up and down like a little kid who had to go to the bathroom.

Finally, the Power realizes that Matt isn't going to stop, so he points at him and says, "Yes?"

Matt keeps bouncing around, this big grin on his face. "Show me the medals!" he says, all enthusiasm. "I wanna see the medals!"

The Power says, "Excuse me?"

Matt says, "Well, you say you've got this incredible machine for making world class shooters, so I want to see all the medals. You know, gold, silver, bronze..."

The Power says, "There aren't any medals."

Matt: "No medals?"

Power: "No medals."

Matt goes from little kid to dead serious in about a heartbeat. "Then why are you wasting our f*%@ing time telling us about a system that doesn't work?"

Thus are legends born...

Michael B

Matt goes from little kid to dead serious in about a heartbeat. "Then why are you wasting our f*%@ing time telling us about a system that doesn't work?"

haha-1.gif

Oh, my estimation of Young Master Burkett has just risen a few notches. As one might surmise, I truly respect a good smarta** remark. When it's of the "the emperor's not wearing any clothers" type of thing, I get giddy with pleasure.

Thanks for sharing that, MB . . . and thanks to Matt B for saying it.

I had the pleasure of meeting Matt and watching him scope and shoot a couple of stages at this years MGM Ironman. Flat out amazing shooter, all round nice guy, and a total wise-ass. Ya gotta' love him, and you will always learn from him.

I'm about to thank him for motivating me by buying his DVD's online (from BE of course). Contrary to what the greeting card manufacturers have been saying for years, "Cash" says it best!

--

Happy Holidays