Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sunburning way too easy

DarthMuffin

A short 3 hour match yesterday, up North, on the 2nd shortest day of the year, totally overcast, 100% clouds, some fog, even sprinkling rain at one point. And me wearing a baseball hat too.

And yeah, my face *still* got sunburned. Man, I've got to use sunblock all the time. I should just go buy a case at Costco and be done with it.

Take it from an Fair Haired/skined German/Irish, always use sunscren. Being in AZ for the last 15 years I have learned the lesson. I don't mess around anymore, my normal shooting atire is longsleeved shirts, long pants and a boonie hat no matter if it is 100+.

I might sweat like crazy and look dorky but I long ago tired of dealing with the afteraffects of too much sun. Durning the summer I bring a clean shirt to change into and usually clean up in the restrooms so I am at least presentable when going to get something to eat after the match.

There is a good thread about the Nationals in Vegas that had a lot of good info about sunscreen. I have grown to like the "sport gel" types that are alcohol based because they dry on the skin better and are not greasy/oily.

Neal in AZ

There is a good thread about the Nationals in Vegas that had a lot of good info about sunscreen. I have grown to like the "sport gel" types that are alcohol based because they dry on the skin better and are not greasy/oily.

Neal in AZ

+1 on the alcohol based ones. Dirt does not stick to them as much as the oily ones so you tend to not look so much like a Fireman on a steam locomotive after a match. Walgreens has an aerosol that seems to be a lot like Bulfrog. Pretty much waterproof and it doesn't seem to be so bad on your skin. Really convenient to apply so you are less likely to blow it off and be sorry later. Exposing skin to the sun is pretty much death defying, here in the future!

I am 46 and have red hair and burn easy and I just learned from my kids that I'm a ginger! Now i listened to this whole spiel about gingers and day walkers and I thought to my self "self these kids are whack" so i started asking around what they where talking about and it seems everyone I asked knew what i was talking about. So am I that far out of the loop? I have never found myself that far out of the loop to be completely clueless before.

I am 46 and have red hair and burn easy and I just learned from my kids that I'm a ginger! Now i listened to this whole spiel about gingers and day walkers and I thought to my self "self these kids are whack" so i started asking around what they where talking about and it seems everyone I asked knew what i was talking about. So am I that far out of the loop? I have never found myself that far out of the loop to be completely clueless before.

It's from an episode of South Park. At the bottom see season 9, 'Ginger Kids' episode if you really want to know more.

http://www.southparkstudios.com/

<<rolling eyes>> .... DAAAaaaaaaAAAADDD!

My knickname used to be Larry the Lobster! If we went to the beach for the weekend people would follow me around with buckets of butter! The thin air here in the Denver area makes sunblock a must for me anymore. I do not care if I am a whitey anymore. I do not want to want to get skin cancer. I now wear a hat (ok, most of the time) to shade my nose and face. Not having many large trees is a definite drawback if you are sun sensitive.

I have been known to burn on an overcast, rainy day myself if it was an all-day match, even in Washington state. I have had to go to Arizona several times on business, and both involved being outside shooting for days in a row. Both times, no matter how much sun block I put on, it took me weeks to totally heal up afterward once I got back to Washington.

I have been told, BTW, that the largest skin cancer research facility in the world is located in Phoenix, Arizona. I'm not surprised. I cannot visit Phoenix without thinking, "Y'know, if this place's artificial water supply ever breaks down, they're in serious trouble." You go to someone's house, it's a nice place, big swimming pool, rock wall around the patio. You look over the wall and it's....desert. To the horizon.

Really, who in their right mind decided to build a city in the middle of the frickin' DESERT? Is that where the pack mules dropped dead? Then they looked around and said, "Yep....this seems like a good place."

Really, who in their right mind decided to build a city in the middle of the frickin' DESERT? Is that where the pack mules dropped dead? Then they looked around and said, "Yep....this seems like a good place."

:roflol:

And whoever came up with the quote "But it's dry heat" can kiss my backside. I have been to Phoenix when it is 110, it is hot, oppressively, unbearably hot, I know the human can adapt to the surroundings, but why?

And whoever came up with the quote "But it's dry heat" can kiss my backside. I have been to Phoenix when it is 110, it is hot, oppressively, unbearably hot, I know the human can adapt to the surroundings, but why?

Hope this doesn't constitute a thread drift, but 90 degrees in Mississippi is a helluva lot different than 90 in Arizona. :rolleyes:

Hope this doesn't constitute a thread drift, but 90 degrees in Mississippi is a helluva lot different than 90 in Arizona. :rolleyes:

I agree, iowa can get to be 90 deg with 90% humidity, but 110 in arizona is like being in a toaster oven.

Since you guys brought up South Park, can those of us with a little genetic sunblock have a "Kick a Ginger Day"? :devil:

Actually I feel for you guys. Been sunburned bad enough that I lost att the skin on my nose, literally came off like a piece of leather. Not exactly my idea of a good time. So yes, even with the genetic sunblock, I still carry some sunblock in the shooting bag. I think it's spf 15. :ph34r: