Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Revolver Reloads With A Moon Clip

MichiganShootist

I actually practiced both to the point I really didn't know which way was faster. So one day I went to the range to try out my new Ipod with the Shot timer installed. I did about 20 reloads on the clock each way and emailed the results to the home computer where I learned after a little playing with the calculator that they were the same speed. I have shot a couple matchs strong hand just to try it out but I like the weak hand better, mostly because I like the muzzle control.

Local club had a few unloaded, holstered starts this past season and I think the weak hand reload rocks for these, even unloaded table starts I think can be done faster weak hand. Strong hand grabs gun, opens cylinder, weak hand grabs ammo, two hands come together for the load on the way to the index/sight pic, real slick. I know of at least one very good shooter that loads strong hand but now does the unloaded starts weak hand.

im not a B class anything and i have never attended a idpa match but i hang around some decent revo shooters....

majority reload weak handed, just as mentioned before about the muzzle and the 180, bubber started me off weak handing it so i never learned any other way...

USPSA - B

IDPA EX SSR & ESR

I reload with the strong hand like most lefties...of course if the cylinder came out on the other side of the gun, I might try weak hand :cheers:

Jerry

(the other Jerry M)

Edited by COF

Exactly. The issue is left vs. right, rather than strong vs. weak. My absolute best livefire reloads get down in the 1.50s, but that's with pretty much no aiming whatsoever, I'm pulling the trigger on the way up from the reload (trying for Jerry's 12-shot record.) Sitting at my computer desk, I can get down in the 1.30s from the table top, dryfire, and 1.50s from the belt.

Now, having said that, my match reload is probably around 2.10 under good conditions. Perfect conditions I can get it under 2, but that's standing, no transition, easy target coming off the reload. I've found that most of my time is in sight acquisition rather than reload manipulation.

H.

Started strong hand reloading a Model 66 with Comp 3's and 38 special rounds. Felt I needed finer motor skills in addition to my stubby fingers making it harder to hit the cyl release.

Carried this method to my 627 out of habit.

My new rig is at Carmoney's, a 625. I'm going to try some weak hand reloads when it get's here.

related thread drift, which cyl latch release works best for weak hand reloads?

No Icore rating yet but I keep finishing at or near the top of C. USPSA is going to be a fun challenge, currently C in production.

Joe

edited for spelling and syntax

Edited by t0066jh

Initially I started out with the strong hand reload, but as I progressed, I saw how DC was reloading and thought that it looked faster and more efficient. I tried it both ways for a while and settled in on the weak hard reload. I liked that the muzzle could be controlled better in that manner. I have since attained High B in USPSA and mid to high B in ICORE. Last I looked I was on top of the B class at 74.1908%.

It works for me.. how it works for you will only make itself evident after trial and error.

I have tried both and still do the strong hand reload, this is the way I was trained by an RCMP firearms instructor.

I have yet to break 180 because I move my strong side foot back about 12" to keep the muzzle downrange. Been doing that for over 25 years, it's automatic.

It's all about practice and it would take at least 6 months of constant practice to change.

I've tried both ways and have even used both in Matches. Most of the times I've used the weak hand reload I've done very well, but I don't do it often.

For some reason the first time I picked up and loaded a Revolver with moon clips the strong hand just naturally went for the clips, I never even thought of it. Might have been that I started with speedloaders and it always seemed natural to use the strong hand to handle them, that was about 1970.

My fastest practice times are always with the strong hand, by about .3+. Yet I do like the muzzle control of not switching hands.

Whatever works for you is what's best.