Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Piston Driven Upper

STIGUY

I am thinking of building a new upper that is piston driven and most come in complete kit form. I was wondering would it be possible to switch barrels (longer stainless) in the place of the kit available. I think Bushmaster is selling a piston driven upper for a very reasonable price. Also, are these systems pretty much equal in reliability and felt recoil? If not, who makes the best on for the money?

THANKS!

See my thread here on a rifle I just put together:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=97070

Just between you, me, the lamp-post and the other 10,000 members here- Sabre had an awesome piston gun on their table at Benning. I think it will be available 1st quarter of '10. The guys at Adams Arms have their hands in a lot of things....and for good reason.

The Adams Arms looked pretty neat. I don't much care for the Osprey 416 system, but the new CMMG I just picked up from Brownells seems quite decent...especially at $299 with the gas block and carrier. Not sure about POF, but one of those just came Friday so I will play with it a bit. Spendy, though.

Alex

The Adams Arms looked pretty neat. I don't much care for the Osprey 416 system, but the new CMMG I just picked up from Brownells seems quite decent...especially at $299 with the gas block and carrier. Not sure about POF, but one of those just came Friday so I will play with it a bit. Spendy, though.

Alex

I think POF has left a little to be desired & in contrast to CMMG, Adams Arms is made in the USA with superior materials. I think you will find the AA is competitively prices & unrivaled in quality & performance.

The POF is good equipment. They too support the sport. Also LWRC was a sponsor at the first Blueridge, and they also make a good upper. The only thing about the piston guns that I really don't care for is the big a$$ rails they all seemt to use.

I have a POF and it is nothing short of superb. About as dead reliable as you can get, and 1" groups at 100 yards. There are folks on Arfcom who aren't lovers, though. I think their main complaint is customer service, or lack thereof.

• 2 weeks later...

Alex

Alex,

Would you care to give a little more info on your assessment of the Osprey. Toying with the idea of a piston gun but I would like to run a rifle length tube on a 10.5 inch gun so the osprey is one of the few options.

How is the recoil of a piston-driven gun vs a gas gun?

Anybody near the top of the game running pistons?

Why/why not?

Thanks,

Jeff

POF does, or at least use to, have a sponsored shooter.

Yep, the pistons have a bit more recoil impulse. There is just more steel slapping back and forth. What I've done on my POF is exchange the buffer for a JP lightweight buffer, and turn around the piston so the small holes are forward. This is suppose to be the position to use with a suppressor, but it helps attenuate the recoil a little too. That, with a good compensator, makes it pretty manageable. I'm using the Cooley comp right now with good results.

• 2 weeks later...

Alex

Alex,

Would you care to give a little more info on your assessment of the Osprey. Toying with the idea of a piston gun but I would like to run a rifle length tube on a 10.5 inch gun so the osprey is one of the few options.

SS - I have a Form 1 pending and have the same thoughts as you. The AA kit will work on a 10.5" barrel, but it looks like the Osprey kit requires an 11.5" barrel Osprey carbine kit

I recently acquired on of the Spike's Tactical/Adams Arms piston uppers and I'm absolutely loving it. I'm running an SJC Titan brake and the thing shoots sweeeet. :cheers:

What kind of accuracy are you achieving with this upper. Thanks

I recently acquired on of the Spike's Tactical/Adams Arms piston uppers and I'm absolutely loving it. I'm running an SJC Titan brake and the thing shoots sweeeet. :cheers:

What kind of accuracy are you achieving with this upper. Thanks

MOA or better depending on the load. I'm still in the load development process.