Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun Cleaning - Ultrasonic cleaners

bossharley

I really hate cleaning my revolvers and the deeper recesses of many semi actions. I was wondering if anybody has used these on a regular basis I would love to hear your comments.

I have done it a few times...and let me warn you about ONE possible problem....be sure NOT to let the parts contact the bottom of the pan...it can loosen your front sights....ask me how I know this....

other than that it is simply amazing what ultra-sonic cleaning will do to parts and brass....but the correct solutions are expensive and the cheap harbor freight style ultra sonic cleaners, aren't worth the hassle of making the trip to purchase one, and then return it (after realizing it does nothing at all)....

if I had $2000 to spend on a real professional ultra-sonic tank and parts hangers, I would do it w/o hesitation....Hornady has one about to come out on the market....it's MSRP is $100, will probably sell for $80 or so....but it looked a lot like the cheap ones on ebay and at harbor freight....they just silk screened "Hornady" on it....

<_<

you can use a wire basket, or you can use black steel wire....or parts hangers....you could build a rack over the top....that is the proper way to do it...I would really advise AGAINST dunking your whole gun, and letting it hit the bottom of the pan....and I would advise you remove the fiber rod, before dunking the slide....I would just hate to see what happened to me, happen to you....

my BRAND NEW (less than 400 rounds on it) advantage arms .22LR conversion went into the ultra-sonic tank I HAD (had is the key there)....it came out with a loose front sight....no bueno....but it did come out clean as can be :mellow:

I borrowed one, once or twice. My experience has been that ultrasonic cleaners will loosen gunk, and some of it floats off, but I still had to scrub everything, especially the small grooves. It wasn't less work overall and it didn't take less time. Soaking and scrubbing with Simple Green works just as well for me.

What scares me about the ultrasonic cleaners is that they remove ALL the oil. Most gun cleaning fluids are rust-preventers, but ultrasonic fluid is water based. I had my 1911 rust within minutes of coming out of the cleaning bath. I think the best solution is one of the gun-branded ones that have removable steel basins. One basin contains the cleaning fluid, and one with the anti-rust post-cleaning fluid.

Sonic in cleaning fluid - scrub with toothbrush - sonic in cleaning fluid - rinse in sink - sonic in anti-rust to drive off the water.

I use mine quite often. It does do a great job of removing just about everything. I use a 10 to 1 mix of simple green. Yes if your sight depends on loctite for retention the vibration may loosen it and yes you need to dry/oil everything as soon as it comes out of the cleaner. Fiber optics get a little dull but I replace them fairly regularly anyway. It really helps getting gunk out of my comp on the open blaster. Hell I even clean my match brass with it before tumbling. Overall it's one of the best things I've ever purchased.

• 3 weeks later...

I am on my second sonic cleaner and love it. It can get into all those places on my 1991 that use to take forever. After I clean it in solution and rinse I oil and hit with compressed air...rust not a problem!! Usually I wait untill my 1911's get real dirty or hit the 2k spring change mark. I like cleaning them by hand but every now and then it is fun to get them real clean with the sonic cleaner...also it is great for AR bolts, barrels, etc.

I borrowed one, once or twice. My experience has been that ultrasonic cleaners will loosen gunk, and some of it floats off, but I still had to scrub everything, especially the small grooves. It wasn't less work overall and it didn't take less time. Soaking and scrubbing with Simple Green works just as well for me.

Remember, simple green trashes aluminum. Learned this on the car forums thinking about de-greasing my LS1, lol.

Remember, simple green trashes aluminum. Learned this on the car forums thinking about de-greasing my LS1, lol.

Simple Green has a lot of products, they do have aluminum safe products.

• 1 year later...

Moderator note: Merged question into an existing thread.

Help> I would like to get some opions on cleaning with a Ultrasonic pistol cleanings set up versus cleaning everything by hand.

Also, which kind is the most popular?

I figured before I would spend the money, this forum would be the place to get all the information I would need towards my possible purpose.

Thanks guys.

Edited by Flexmoney

I've been avoiding buying one because liquid and powder/primers don't mix will. I tried this a while back with an industrial cleaner[water based]. It only took 10 minutes in my tumbler to clean the cases. I put them in the sun for most of the day to dry and still had some that were wet inside. I use corncob media,a Dillon tumbler, and a timer. Everything is clean and I don't have to worry about liquid left in the cases.

I've been avoiding buying one because liquid and powder/primers don't mix will. I tried this a while back with an industrial cleaner[water based]. It only took 10 minutes in my tumbler to clean the cases. I put them in the sun for most of the day to dry and still had some that were wet inside. I use corncob media,a Dillon tumbler, and a timer. Everything is clean and I don't have to worry about liquid left in the cases.

You could put them in the clothes dryer. It's a little noisy, but takes care of the problem! :surprise::roflol: