Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2010 Pro-Am Championship

Do most people use major loads or load down for this match?

Anyone have a good practice routine for the Pro-Am?

I shot factory Winchester 9mm the last two years at about 130 pf out of my Glock. It's knockdown steel, so you really don't want to play with something too light. My friend shot the same stuff out of his open Steel Challenge gun and said the dot was going all over the place. You don't need to make major, but just make sure your gun will handle the same way.

Practice? What's that?

Seiichi

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ran around 145pf .40 and tuned my mags and gun to lock open on empty. Gun MUST run 100%, there is just no time to make it up. I loaded 600 rounds 3 days before the match and I looked at every single powder charge and primer before calling the ammo "good". I've had gun/mag issues at this match in the past and did not want any this time. "Match starts at the reloading bench", as I've been told.

Sounds like Seiichi and I are on the same practice schedule...lol

I also have a video. It includes some local shooter along with the pros. It also has two stage runs at the end by KC Eusebio and Bob Vogel.

Sup Itchy? Enjoy the AC in my truck just before the match end? I enjoyed hanging with you guys and losing money in poker.

Chuck, Thanks for running us through the stages. I was with you all day Friday. You pegged me for a IDPA shooter from the get go and let me know about "holster popping". I ALMOST swept you on the very last stage. Heat was getting to me very bad. I shot your open gun as well(Nathan had it)...very cool.

http://www.youtube.com/user/hankfan79

Edited by hankfan79

Hey Guys, I found a Glock mag on one of the stages. If you know anyone who lost a mag, please have them contact me. I asked on a couple of stages but no luck on the owner. I found it on Saturday. They'll have to give me a description with what type of rounds to claim it, but it's not mine so I really want to get it back to the owner.

Awesome match Phil, that steel was fun.

Bill Drummond

828.963.7020 or you can post here but I check infrequently.

The RO's deserve Ironman badges. I shot in 100 degree weather BUT they WORKED in it. Amazing!

Again, Anyone, I know it's just a mag but it's somebody's and not mine. It will just sit on the self for the next 20 years if someone doesn't claim this thing. Bueler, Bueler, Bueler,........

If it has a BLUE floorplate, that would be mine.

A big thank you to Bill for not only finding my mag, but sending it to me for free. If only everyone in this world were this kind.

Thanks Bill!

Hey Guys, I found a Glock mag on one of the stages. If you know anyone who lost a mag, please have them contact me. I asked on a couple of stages but no luck on the owner. I found it on Saturday. They'll have to give me a description with what type of rounds to claim it, but it's not mine so I really want to get it back to the owner.

Awesome match Phil, that steel was fun.

Bill Drummond

828.963.7020 or you can post here but I check infrequently.

The RO's deserve Ironman badges. I shot in 100 degree weather BUT they WORKED in it. Amazing!

Again, Anyone, I know it's just a mag but it's somebody's and not mine. It will just sit on the self for the next 20 years if someone doesn't claim this thing. Bueler, Bueler, Bueler,........

I'm not sure what power factor I was making for the Open match. I started the match with my ammo (okay a buddies reloads since I ran out and didn't have time to hit the press). After having several light hits on the first couple stages (high primers) Jessie Abbatte took pity on me and loaned me her ammo to finish the match with. I did get burned on a few poppers in this match (nice center hits and they didn't go over). That's one of the things with the Pro-AM, no calibration. If your ammo doesn't take it over, tough. It's just not worth shooting ammo that's marginal. I saw a ton of malfunctions while ROing. Much more than I'm used to at a USPSA match. My guess is some folks downloaded to minor for this match and didn't fully test their guns. This is not a good match to have a malfunction at.

I'm not sure what power factor I was making for the Open match. I started the match with my ammo (okay a buddies reloads since I ran out and didn't have time to hit the press). After having several light hits on the first couple stages (high primers) Jessie Abbatte took pity on me and loaned me her ammo to finish the match with. I did get burned on a few poppers in this match (nice center hits and they didn't go over). That's one of the things with the Pro-AM, no calibration. If your ammo doesn't take it over, tough. It's just not worth shooting ammo that's marginal. I saw a ton of malfunctions while ROing. Much more than I'm used to at a USPSA match. My guess is some folks downloaded to minor for this match and didn't fully test their guns. This is not a good match to have a malfunction at.

Yep, I agree...mouse fart ammo seldom proves to be worth it.

Yeah, if you have one malfunction on one of these stages you can forget finishing at the top, or at least I doubt I would be able to catch back up. I run the same 130-135 PF ammo that I use for IDPA and Steel Challenge. It passes the chrono test, it passes the PROAM test.

Yeah, if you have one malfunction on one of these stages you can forget finishing at the top, or at least I doubt I would be able to catch back up. I run the same 130-135 PF ammo that I use for IDPA and Steel Challenge. It passes the chrono test, it passes the PROAM test.

I had three jams on three seperate stages, then a broken gun. I had to go get my back up gun. I went to the wrong parking lot, then had to go to the other one in 100 degree weather, and then get back to the stages. When I got back to the stage, my squad was gone and I had to shoot the last 3 stages by myself while trying to recover from the heat (where I live it rarely ever gets above 86 degrees at the hottest). PAIN!!!

Thanks to Chuck Anderson, and a few other RO's that allowed my to collect myself enough to shoot the stages.

Mr. Taylor, I'm glad you searched here to get that mag back.