Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting to sign my contract.

Tyler Payne

Tyler,

Congrats - the Army has been a great way of life for me and my family. Stage 8 (with the former Drill running the timer) gave you a very small taste of what Basic may be like; had a blast shooting with you at Benning. Listen to your NCOs and you'll be fine. Best of luck to you.

Doug Johnson

Basic in the winter beats the summer hands down. I did it at Leonardwood in the middle of one of the worst winters in years. (Or so I was told by the locals.) You never overheat and pt actually keeps you warm. You will lose weight and enjoy it 'cause it will keep you from freezing your fanny off. Also, since training is less crowded in winter, you have less wait at the ranges and all because there are fewer training battalions on post. Win-win!

YMMV, JZ

Basic in the winter beats the summer hands down. I did it at Leonardwood in the middle of one of the worst winters in years. (Or so I was told by the locals.) You never overheat and pt actually keeps you warm. You will lose weight and enjoy it 'cause it will keep you from freezing your fanny off. Also, since training is less crowded in winter, you have less wait at the ranges and all because there are fewer training battalions on post. Win-win!

YMMV, JZ

I went through Leonardwood in July when it was a replacement depot, no fun then either. Then they shipped a 20 car trainload of us to Ft Ord. Beware the iceplant.

A word of advice. That old adage about never volunteering for anything? For-get-a-bout-it! You can make your own career in the Army if you take the initiative and go after what you want. And part of that comes from volunteering for additional training and taking every opportunity to display your leadership skills.