Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who is shooting AR piston guns?

Bryan 45

I picked up an Adams Arms piston kit at the FB3G. The components are very nicely made and the kit went on without issues using a 16" midlength Rock River upper. The one thing I don't like about it are the handguards. It comes with a set of M4 modified handguards, but they are FAT. I've never used M4 guards before, I didn't realize they were SO BIG. Looking at Adams Arms website, they have a list of other handguards that are compatible, but I was hoping some of the shooters here could share with me what they are using.

I'm planning on going home at lunch time and blasting a few rounds through it to check for function. I'm going to use WOLF 55g just to see how clean it stays.

Thanks for any help you can offer on the handguards.

Bryan,

Check with Adams Arms. I've got a Sabre upper with a AA kit. It has a Samson railed handguard, but I'm not sure if they had to modify it to fit. If AA can't sell you one, I'm sure they can point you in the right direction.

Erik

Bryan,

Check with Adams Arms. I've got a Sabre upper with a AA kit. It has a Samson railed handguard, but I'm not sure if they had to modify it to fit. If AA can't sell you one, I'm sure they can point you in the right direction.

Erik

On their site, it says which ones fit and which don't... I have a DD Omega on mine and it worked out of the box, not problem.

Alan

Bryan,

Erik

Shot Erik's Sabre at FBG and was pleasantly surprised at how it handled. More to the rear movement but it was very flat and easily controllable. I am sure a big part of it was Erik's comp...the gun was pretty much dead level during fast strings of 4 or 5 shots at a time.. :cheers:

I've looked over the info on AA's site, but I was hoping someone had a smooth foreend they made work. I'd rather not spend $250 for a DD or Samson foreend and another $30 on covers to cover up the rails. :)

I emailed AA yesterday w/ an expression of gratitude for their support of the match, and John emailed me back with "call w/ any questions" but as much as most of the members here shoot, I figure it's just as good to get some advise from the guys on the ranges.

Ruf and I shoot for Adams Arms. They are working on a round tube to fit around the piston. I have shot BRM3G, CMMG, DPMS, and FB3G along with plenty of small matches this year with mine. I havent cleaned or lubed it once and no malfunctions to date. They are a great bunch of guys and I expect to see more of their rifles being used in the near future.

Shot Erik's Sabre at FBG and was pleasantly surprised at how it handled. More to the rear movement but it was very flat and easily controllable. I am sure a big part of it was Erik's comp...the gun was pretty much dead level during fast strings of 4 or 5 shots at a time..

Merlin,

Thanks for the kind remarks, but you shot my SIG 556 Rifle, not the Sabre piston rifle, but you are correct, all piston guns will have a bit more pop in the shoulder, but they can still be made to shoot very flat.

I'm using the SJC Titan comp.

Erik

Bryan_45, do you or anyone know if there is any clocking/tuning necessary for left or right hand bias with the SJC?

No clocking is necessary. Its the same comp Kirk is running.

Roger, I was seeking an unbiased 2nd opnion on the SJC. I just cant grasp that a neutral brake would work equally well R or L. I suppose I'll have to break down and try Kirk or Chad's.

Back to the topic @ hand, I have been pleased as punch with my AA set up. My first thoughts initially were, due to harmonic influence accuracy would suffer but due to the dwell time it does not. I ran it @ the ITRC & have shot it out to 700. Its dead nuts reliable & on the "gully course" it got around 30 mags ran through it on that course alone. The thing that really was nice is it didnt get hot to hold. Unlike Chad, I do actually lube mine, I packed slide glide in the bolt.

Bryan_45, do you or anyone know if there is any clocking/tuning necessary for left or right hand bias with the SJC?

No clocking is necessary. Its the same comp Kirk is running.

Roger, I was seeking an unbiased 2nd opnion on the SJC. I just cant grasp that a neutral brake would work equally well R or L. I suppose I'll have to break down and try Kirk or Chad's.

I can assure you....there is not a more effective comp on the market.

I haven't shot a rifle with the SJC, but I was ROing a stage at a match this fall where the targets were close range and near the 180 on each side. All comps were loud, but the SJCs were horrid! And the side blast nearly blew my hat and ear muffs off (only a SLIGHT exaggeration)! So, I would say that it more than likely is one very effective comp, if not RO friendly. May have to try one on my POF, although I'm pretty happy with the Cooley that's on it now.

I love this place! I was getting ready to ask this very question. I also won one of the AA conversions. (Thank you AA!) I'm getting ready to order or build a mid lenght upper to compete with, and this prize table pick up is kicking me in a new direction.

Thanks everyone for the great info.... Now comes the choice of building an upper, or buying a sabre, daniel defense or rock river upper....

Thanks to Tod I have a nice, new handguard. This thing is light-years ahead in comfort than either the M4 plastic handguard or a Yankee Hill lightweight railed tube I had on this barrel before the piston conversion. It's a Samson rail that has been machined to fit by Adams Arms. I hope it shoots as good as it looks. I just need to figure out how this tube thing w/ the wires in it sitting on top of the rifle works. ;)

HS101, I think this will make up your mind on which barrel you need- Sabre 18" fluted!

379508691.jpg

379508686.jpg

Thanks to Tod I have a nice, new handguard. This thing is light-years ahead in comfort than either the M4 plastic handguard or a Yankee Hill lightweight railed tube I had on this barrel before the piston conversion. It's a Samson rail that has been machined to fit by Adams Arms. I hope it shoots as good as it looks. I just need to figure out how this tube thing w/ the wires in it sitting on top of the rifle works. ;)

HS101, I think this will make up your mind on which barrel you need- Sabre 18" fluted!

379508691.jpg

379508686.jpg

I was looking at that barrel/upper, except in 16", with a DD 10 lite quad rail... (I think it will be a great compliment to my 20" RRA Nation Match upper I use in Tac Irons) Just trying to justify the $800+

But, spending the $ to use my prize makes sense to me :devil:

How does the Sabre shoot? I haven't seen one in person...

Slowsure, the only target I had trouble w/ at the BRM last year using my M1A was that little guy at 425. I'm definately shooting irons at it again this year. :) I cleaned the star on stage 7 w/ 4 rounds using the .308. It's a shame as nice as this rifle is, it will see more range time that matches.

HS101, this is about a 1 moa barrel. I have a 20" stainless Sabre that shoots a little better. I figure for 3 gun, after running 25 yards shooting pistol or shotgun targets, when you grab your rifle and drop prone I don't know too many shooters that can hold better than 1MOA, so it's plenty accurate. The thing I like best about the Sabre barrels are the light weight. But, my two shoot 55g bullets about as well as the heavy stuff. This 18" is a 1/7, the 20" is a 1/8.

Just ordered an upper to make my conversion with... I decided to go with a Bravo Companyupper/barrel/bolt carrier combo, and then ordered the Sampson Rail from Adam's. Its not quite as sexy is the Stainless Sabre setup, but along with being my optics gun, I think it will become my heavy use/abuse gun.