Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Leupold CQB SS scope line

00bullitt

Pretty impressive scope offering by Leupold. Main tube was 34mm with what appeared to be a 40mm objective. Reticle is in the front/first focal plane. Reticle was the Horus Vision H27 with firedot. It was a 1.1 power that went up to 8x. Turrets were very large and favored the look of the knobs on the new Premier Reticle line of scopes with very tactile feel for click adjustment. They were graduated in 1/10th mils.

Illumination was daylight visible. I looked right into the sun and could see it but it was somewhat translucent looking. The dot looked to be smaller than 2moa on 1.1 x and looked monstrous on 8x. Looked to be a very well thought out optic. I just do not care for the front/first focal plane reticles. Dave said retail was to be around $2500 and the new line was to debut at SHOT this year.

I can see myself being interested if it is to be available in a rear/second focal plane version.

Pretty impressive scope offering by Leupold. Main tube was 34mm with what appeared to be a 40mm objective. Reticle is in the front/first focal plane. Reticle was the Horus Vision H27 with firedot. It was a 1.1 power that went up to 8x. Turrets were very large and favored the look of the knobs on the new Premier Reticle line of scopes with very tactile feel for click adjustment. They were graduated in 1/10th mils.

Illumination was daylight visible. I looked right into the sun and could see it but it was somewhat translucent looking. The dot looked to be smaller than 2moa on 1.1 x and looked monstrous on 8x. Looked to be a very well thought out optic. I just do not care for the front/first focal plane reticles. Dave said retail was to be around $2500 and the new line was to debut at SHOT this year.

I can see myself being interested if it is to be available in a rear/second focal plane version.

Where may I find info about this scope. tried Leupold home page, no luck! :(

Why in the world would you want the H27 reticle for 3-gun? Seems awful busy to me...

I don't see the need for a FFP reticle in 3-gun either. Make it SFP and put a CQB reticle in it and that would drop the price a bunch.

I'm with you John.....but some do like the first/front focal plane reticles for such. I'm just not one of them. The H27 is almost completely out of view on 1.1 and it grows as power is increased to be quite thick and busy. As does the fire dot. On 1.1 all that is really visible is a horizontal line and the firedot. I'd really like to see something like Erik's new reticle in this scope.

The scope looks to be bad ass. I'm just hoping it becomes available with a more simplified rear/second plane reticle.

The scope Dave had was marked PROTOTYPE all over it. And when the match was over....he took it off his rifle and it went back into the hands of Leupold until SHOT.

I don't believe any info is available on it anywhere. But I am glad to see Leupold ready to unveil what looks like an awesome line that is gonna give S&B a good run.

Remember it is not a scope for 3 gun. It is a scope for military uses. Believe it or not, there are somewhat different requirements.

That being said, I concur with the observations about rear v. front focal plane in a scope for 3 gun and/or carbine purposes. However:

1) An issue with the rear focal plane is that any BDC style reticles are only calibrated at one power setting. And I personally would not want that calibration to be at 8X. I would prefer 5 or 6X but that would be odd in a scope which goes up to 8X.

2) Daniel Horner beats all of us (except Rainer) with a front focal plane scope.

Kelly.....you make a good point about the calibrated BDC being only useful on one power. which in the case of that scope would probably be 8. I'm with you there.

And Daniel......well.....he'd beat us with iron sights.

The scope setup is impressive. I've been clamoring for certain features for the last several years, that no one has offered. Until now.

A couple of things-

It has a zero stop, and is single turn. Excellent. I believe it has enough adjustment to get a 5.56 to 1K in that single turn. :cheers:

It has locking turrets.

Why FFP vs SFP? As has already been stated, it allows one to range and to use holdovers at any power. This is not important on 1-4x's as there is not enough magnification to use the reticle on anything but 4x. However, at 6x plus magnification it is a very useful feature. I agree on SFP being better for low powered varibles, so the reticle is visible at the lowest settings, except when there is a daylight visible dot. Why would you want to have a cluttered view with a bunch of BS when all you want to see is the dot? At 8x you would use the reticle, so what does it matted how big the dot is?

As far as the Horus reticle, I'm ambivalent. It works, however I don't really need it. Zero the gun at 100 yards. Set the turret for 250yds and one can hit a flasher (or chest) out to 300 by aiming dead on or at the top. Past 300 yards, dial. It's more accurate, and is just as fast as a BDC reticle (that never tracks correctly anyways...).

If they turn out as well as they state they will, it will OWN the market. Just get the repeatability and durability up, and it's a home-run...

• 1 month later...

Both this Leupold and a 1.1-8 from Premier are on display at SHOT, I also received an email from CS Tactical Stating that S&B has a 1-8 at SHOT show but haven't seen any info on it. Anyone see anything about it?

I bet a lot of these scopes will work quite nicely for 3gun.

This year's SHOT show is going to clean out my secret $ stash... Lot's of cool toys on the Optic side. I heard Nightforce is showing some good stuff as well.

anything new from Trijicon?

Yeah, like the the TA11-H reticle in the TR24R or TR21R? Wishful thinking anyway.