Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ85, or back to 1911?

flycaster

Hi there. I'm trying to make a decision on my next gun. It's between a CZ85 and a 1911. The 1911 would be in .45 acp. The more "basic" new 1911's around here start around $750 for a S.A. Loaded, or lower level Kimber. A CZ85 combat is about $200 less. BTW, I would want the 85 over the 75 because I need the ambi thumb safety, free-dropping mags and, possibly, adjustable sight. I had a Loaded until last year, but after it broke, and S.A. replaced the barrel and bushing, it was never 100% again (but much more accurate than stock).

My current pistol for shorter range competition is an XD9 Service, and it's fine for that, but I can easily outshoot it with my friend's Kimber at maximum indoor range distances.

My main requirement is accuracy, out to 25 yards. Not bullseye, but other competition. I'm not going to drop bucks on "upgrades", so I want accuracy out of the box. Without an unlimited bankroll, will I lose much- or anything- with the CZ as opposed to a stock 1911? I hope I made myself clear here. Any input would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

Chuck

tough choice..

both are good guns, kind of depends where you want to got it.

the 1911 for single stack, maybe a little limited 10. the CZ for production.

the CZ is easily accurate at 25-35 yards. I am sure the 1911 is too.

don't envy you. but either way..look at the cost of mags, holster, etc to support each gun.

tough choice..

both are good guns, kind of depends where you want to got it.

the 1911 for single stack, maybe a little limited 10. the CZ for production.

the CZ is easily accurate at 25-35 yards. I am sure the 1911 is too.

don't envy you. but either way..look at the cost of mags, holster, etc to support each gun.

Yeah, I got a case of the stupids when I sold the 1911. I also sold my extra eight Wilson mags. I have holsters for either pistol, so that's not an issue. I can reload for either caliber, so the difference in ammo cost isn't great. And, I'm pretty sure the 1911 trigger will be a fair amount better than the CZ's, at least initially. But I want to think long-term. If I get the CZ, down the road I'd probably send it to Angus Hobdell, or another fine CZ place, for a trigger job- but not right away. Thanks for the input.

Chuck

............................ I can reload for either caliber, so the difference in ammo cost isn't great. .............................

I dont believe the difference in ammo cost is all that close. I think you will find 45 bullets are more expensive than 9mm by a fair bit. As are all the other components. It adds up to another factor in favor of the CZ.

I have an 85 by the way. Did you know the 18 rd SP-01 mags will fit it.

Yankee Dog

Hi there. I'm trying to make a decision on my next gun. It's between a CZ85 and a 1911. The 1911 would be in .45 acp. The more "basic" new 1911's around here start around $750 for a S.A. Loaded, or lower level Kimber. A CZ85 combat is about $200 less. BTW, I would want the 85 over the 75 because I need the ambi thumb safety, free-dropping mags and, possibly, adjustable sight. I had a Loaded until last year, but after it broke, and S.A. replaced the barrel and bushing, it was never 100% again (but much more accurate than stock).

My current pistol for shorter range competition is an XD9 Service, and it's fine for that, but I can easily outshoot it with my friend's Kimber at maximum indoor range distances.

My main requirement is accuracy, out to 25 yards. Not bullseye, but other competition. I'm not going to drop bucks on "upgrades", so I want accuracy out of the box. Without an unlimited bankroll, will I lose much- or anything- with the CZ as opposed to a stock 1911? I hope I made myself clear here. Any input would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

Chuck

Well the CZ 85 parts will be "drop in" and work when they need to be replaced.

If you are going to shoot and shoot and shoot eventually you will need to replace parts. If you are not up to fitting 1911 parts this could matter.

The CZ series has lots of fans. Im giving my 1911s a break for awhile and Im shooting my berettas again which in my opinion are about the same feel wise as the CZs.

Go for the .45! I got myself a CZ 85 and look at me, now I can not remember how to clear a malfunction. It took me all of a year to unlearn this. The other day I shot my 45 and just stared at the stupid thing when it burped the first time. If I did not shoot the CZ I would be current with my stopage clearing skills. Some people call it boringly reliable.

The CZ-85 Combat is one of the best CZ deals available, in my opinion. (Combat = no FPB)

I would take the ~$200 price difference, order it through CZ Custom, and have them do some work on the action before it arrives. It will end up costing about the same as your budget for a 1911, but it will be cheaper to shoot and reload for (saving about $60/thousand by my calculations).

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=rey...amp;output=html

Edited by belus

You do have a tough choice. I recently purchased a 1911 STI just to shoot Single Stack USPSA for variety. Been shooting Production with a CZ-75 SP01 for ~3 yrs, prior to that Limited & L-10. (Really bummed over the recent rules changes that require the FPB.) If I had to choose between the 1911 and a CZ, I think I would choose the CZ reluctantly over the 1911. The reason is that you can shoot it in Production, Limited, and Limited 10 (albeit minor). And, your ammo costs will be lower. With the 1911 you can only shoot Limited or L-10. You could shoot Open but would never be competitive. Don't know if USPSA/IPSC is part of your shooting plans or not but that is my 2 cents. P.S. While I can tell the difference in the FPB vice without it in dry fire, I really cannot tell much of a difference in it in matches. None-the-less I would strong urge you to go with a CZ-85, CZ-75 Shadow, or any other USPSA legal CZ-75/85 model that does not have a FPB. P.P.S. eerw is one of your best sources of info on CZs. Trust him.

You do have a tough choice. I recently purchased a 1911 STI just to shoot Single Stack USPSA for variety. Been shooting Production with a CZ-75 SP01 for ~3 yrs, prior to that Limited & L-10. (Really bummed over the recent rules changes that require the FPB.) If I had to choose between the 1911 and a CZ, I think I would choose the CZ reluctantly over the 1911. The reason is that you can shoot it in Production, Limited, and Limited 10 (albeit minor). And, your ammo costs will be lower. With the 1911 you can only shoot Limited or L-10. You could shoot Open but would never be competitive. Don't know if USPSA/IPSC is part of your shooting plans or not but that is my 2 cents. P.S. While I can tell the difference in the FPB vice without it in dry fire, I really cannot tell much of a difference in it in matches. None-the-less I would strong urge you to go with a CZ-85, CZ-75 Shadow, or any other USPSA legal CZ-75/85 model that does not have a FPB. P.P.S. eerw is one of your best sources of info on CZs. Trust him.

Thanks to all who've been kind enough to help. I'm probably going with a CZ. But- a buddy is going to be out of the country for a couple of months, and wants me to shoot his Wilson Combat tricked-out Springer. Well, someone has to do it! I'm going to wait until I have to give it back, then make a final decision.

Chuck

I love my CZ 85 Combat. It's accurate and ultra reliable. It fits my large hands quite well and points naturally. The weight of the steel frame absorbs recoil. The adjustable sights come in handy if you plan to use or reload different bullet weights.

Angus Hobdell installed a new hammer and did an action job on mine a few years back. The trigger is now the best of any gun I have.

That said - you might also look into some of the newer CZ 9mms. Angus is very big on the Shadow series and many top CZ shooters now use that model. Go to ghostholster.com for more information.

Either way, IMO you can't go wrong with a CZ.

Chris

I think that both pistols would give acceptable accuracy. I am a huge fan of both pistols. I would also tend to lean towards the CZ. As mentioned earlier the reloading cost would be better, and drop in parts make it a bit easier to trick out.....

If you go with the 85, I have 3 pages of load data from a Ransom rest that I could send you. Was able to get some 3/4" groups at 20 yds using lead that meets PF. If I could find a .1 or .9 front sight it would be my main gun for all the matches I shoot.