Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

i am forgetful and it damages me

i took a 2 hour drive to a licensing office to get my enhanced drivers license so hopefully i could go to canada to my uncles where christmas is being held by the family this year.

i drove all the way over there, and i forgot my birth cirtificate. nada.

i forget to do little things at work, it pisses my boss off, it causes problems

i took the rotating shell plate off my press to remove a messed up case, i forgot to put the retention spring back in, i was puzzled as to why this random case falls on the ground, then i remember i forgot to put a part back on the press.

im not forgetful all the time, more than half the time i remember to do stuff pretty well, but really...it still causes time and money to be lost for no reason. it can make life hard.

I always say that if I don't write it down, it didn't happen, or it won't. What's weird is that it depends on the topic. If I sit down with a bad guy for 2hrs for an interview I can remember everything....like crazy detailed. When it comes to stuff like tasks around the house...forget it, it had better be written down :wacko:

I feel your pain. Switched calibers on my SDB, forgot to tighten the retaining screw for the powder measure. 1st pull on the handle and I dumped a couple of ounces of Clays all over my bench and floor. Getting older isn't for sissies.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the older you get, the worse it gets. Lost car keys and glasses, walking in to a room and not remembering what you went in there for, forgetting the names of people, and the list goes on and on.

Here, this is just for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=7lSliucgygc

Umm, what was this topic about? :roflol:

I always say that if I don't write it down, it didn't happen, or it won't. What's weird is that it depends on the topic. If I sit down with a bad guy for 2hrs for an interview I can remember everything....like crazy detailed. When it comes to stuff like tasks around the house...forget it, it had better be written down :wacko:

Consciousness adapts to it's environment.

You can discover things about your true nature with observations of this sort. "The thread into the maze of the Minotaur". Given that there are no physiological explanations for failed "memory page calls" you can begin to trace out where you are inclined to direct your energetic resources. I think that this is a nice example of what Joseph Campbell was invoking when he said "follow your bliss". When you are doing that, your choices never lead you to be "working". Activities take on a "sweetness", the activity becomes effortless. Like when you're on the fall line on a ski slope and everything is in balance, you're weightless. It's a difficult to describe state of consciousness. Natural language does not articulate it's scope gracefully. When you see people write from the "quantum reality" perspective I think this is what they're trying to get across. Be patient with them if you detect sincerity. In this way consciousness really does create "reality", whatever that is! Bring that into moment to moment awareness and it allows you fine tune the experience without too much suffering. It helps to reduce the level of "suckage" in dry fire practice, for example. (My apologies, there should be an attribution here, but I find I'm unable to recall the members name whose tag line I stole this reference from!) <_<

One of the many reasons I participate in shooting sports is the opportunity I have to find immersion in the moment. To find the "fall line" on a stage and stay there if I can. There are lots of ways to do that, but this one attracts me in a compelling way. I see this perspective in Brian's Book and I imagine that at some level it also attracts the people that make up this forum. (Ahhh, GrassHopper!)

I bet you're a good cop. I bet you mostly love going "to the office" (I didn't pick work there on purpose!). I'd even bet, that sometimes you'd just like to shut it out for a little while!

There is the "other hand" though. Could just be a Homer Simpson, or Kelly Bundy thing. True in my own case, especially. My brain is just "full". So I have to be really careful if I try to learn something new. It could push something out that I really need to know, like the location of my car keys, or my address! (No....really...it HAS to be right around here SOMEWHERE, Aw Geeeze, @#$%%@##**!). :rolleyes: